Dark Souls 2

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Is there a good way to learn to be better at this game? So far I have gotten through a few bosses, but really, just flat out suck at this. When I finally got passed the gargoyles (with resin applied) I felt like I had just beat Mike Tyson on NES in 1986.

Shit, if Tuco can play this and have success, I better be able to or I am going to unplug all my gaming hardware and move to the mountains.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Its all a game of trial and error, explore.. see what is there, potentially die, do it again knowing what will happen... rinse and repeat. Then you can min/max your build to make it easier or harder lol
as for bosses, learning their patterns is all you really need to do. Learn their attack sequences, then you can adjust to dodge them accordingly.

Or you can.. look up all the information you may need prior to a boss to get an upper hand lol

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is there a good way to learn to be better at this game? So far I have gotten through a few bosses, but really, just flat out suck at this. When I finally got passed the gargoyles (with resin applied) I felt like I had just beat Mike Tyson on NES in 1986.

Shit, if Tuco can play this and have success, I better be able to or I am going to unplug all my gaming hardware and move to the mountains.
A lot of people recommend just playing it any not looking up anything. If you play like that, the game will probably take between 40-80 hours depending on how good you are. Or you can look up stuff like new player youtube videos that show you how to do basic things like dodging, parrying, backstabbing, riposte, etc. If that's all you look up, you'll probably notice a skill increase.

If you really want to make it easier you can look up a guide on the ideal path to go which is what I did. I don't really have time right now to spend 80 hours trying to figure out where to go.

You can go a step further and learn how to beat bosses, where to get overpowered weapons, get optimal weapon paths, etc. This stuff I mostly skipped (I did get the drake sword though).

It's a hard game, any one saying otherwise is just trying to sound badass. Gargoyles took me quite a few tries, and I definitely jumped up and cheered when I beat them.. much like beating Tyson, like you said. It brought me back to the glory days. Coincidentally, there are bosses that some people say take tons of attempts and just assfuck you that I have beaten in one shot (Capra Demon), so everyone will have different difficulties and stuff. Also, as Tuco said, you never really feel comfortable with how you play this game probably until after you beat it once. Even though I one-shot that boss, I'm getting my shit pushed in inside Sen's Fortress - nothing I've learned has really prepared me for it and my skills don't directly correspond to me being any better at the game.

TLDR; bosses are hard, lookup what you want if you just want to beat the game, lookup nothing if you want to spend 80 hours playing.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
A lot of people recommend just playing it any not looking up anything. If you play like that, the game will probably take between 40-80 hours depending on how good you are. Or you can look up stuff like new player youtube videos that show you how to do basic things like dodging, parrying, backstabbing, riposte, etc. If that's all you look up, you'll probably notice a skill increase.

If you really want to make it easier you can look up a guide on the ideal path to go which is what I did. I don't really have time right now to spend 80 hours trying to figure out where to go.

You can go a step further and learn how to beat bosses, where to get overpowered weapons, get optimal weapon paths, etc. This stuff I mostly skipped (I did get the drake sword though).

It's a hard game, any one saying otherwise is just trying to sound badass. Gargoyles took me quite a few tries, and I definitely jumped up and cheered when I beat them.. much like beating Tyson, like you said. It brought me back to the glory days. Coincidentally, there are bosses that some people say take tons of attempts and just assfuck you that I have beaten in one shot (Capra Demon), so everyone will have different difficulties and stuff. Also, as Tuco said, you never really feel comfortable with how you play this game probably until after you beat it once. Even though I one-shot that boss, I'm getting my shit pushed in inside Sen's Fortress - nothing I've learned has really prepared me for it and my skills don't directly correspond to me being any better at the game.

TLDR; bosses are hard, lookup what you want if you just want to beat the game, lookup nothing if you want to spend 80 hours playing.
Ok. I'll be playing again this weekend. I need to beat this thing.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looking at that list my favorite was the second. Queelags also make smough and friend VERY easy. But the first one will give you the most dps in the game.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Sorcery build is probably one of my favorites, that shit is incredibly powerful lol
Giantdad pre-nerf was also fun, shame they nerfed that ring lol

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Don't you need the Thief's key to do that straight at the beginning?
Yea, thought I put that detail in typing it yesterday - no clue why I skipped it. (It's a given to get it as the starter here myself)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The PC version of this just dropped to $5.99 on Steam. FYI.

Make sure to get the HD patch if you get this version.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I may need to play through this again now that there should be another influx of new players to troll on the PC

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dar...er-builds.html

I used the first one there. It's a bit of a slow starter but once your Int gets high enough you just steamroll most everything, including bosses. Very glass cannon though, if crap gets too close you're in trouble.
I'd suggest something more like this:Dark Souls Character Planner

95% shields are shit, and I would always go for a claymore -> moonlight greatsword upgrade path when it comes to weapons for a magic-based character (just don't do what I did and accidentally kill Seath so fast that the tail never got cut off
frown.png
). Cut the faith out, get a little str to 1H claymore/MLGS, and absolutely, positively ALWAYS take endurance to 40. 44 vit is more than sufficient, as diminishing returns hits the +hp pretty hard past 45 vit. For armor, Crown of Dusk + Sage Robe is pretty much the best way to go; use the other two slots for resists as needed and only switch things up in a major way when facing curse frogs, heavy magic damage, etc.

Bear in mind that the initial part of the DLC is very hard for a magic-based character. The Sanctuary Guardian gives no fucks about your silly spells and enchanted sword; you will need to switch to a Fire/Chaos Claymore (or Quelaag's if you put a couple points into dex, which is what I did) and use pyromancy if you want any hope of killing it easily. That's not the only part of the game where magic is nearly useless either. Have a backup plan.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

The best way I found was to pick a build and setup you like, then try to find how to beat the bosses in that style. This game is different from most, where there's always one way to approach the battles. In Dark Souls, you can use your own style to beat it. I had to figure things out a bit because I played it defensively. I liked sword-and-shield a lot, mostly because I tanked in MMOs. So I finally got tired of trying things out with 2handers, magic, and other dumb shit using everyone else's strategies...so got stuff like resist rings, resist gear, and a handful of different weapons. Sure enough, I started rocking the game.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
I used a pretty balanced character that had a spear and shield and used magical attacks. It's a low skill build because you can rely on the long range of the spear and the ability to block while attacking to avoid a lot of damage. Here's a good guide on it:GameFAQs: Dark Souls (PS3) Spell Warrior Guide by MStango

If I played again I'd probably use a 2H weapon and try to parry/riposte a lot.
this guide is awesome. Revived my enjoyment for the game.

Blighttown can still eat a dick

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I beat Blighttown with one death from Quelagg and that was it. Some dude said "look for torches and go down" so that's what I did and cleared it with ease.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The best way I found was to pick a build and setup you like, then try to find how to beat the bosses in that style. This game is different from most, where there's always one way to approach the battles. In Dark Souls, you can use your own style to beat it. I had to figure things out a bit because I played it defensively. I liked sword-and-shield a lot, mostly because I tanked in MMOs. So I finally got tired of trying things out with 2handers, magic, and other dumb shit using everyone else's strategies...so got stuff like resist rings, resist gear, and a handful of different weapons. Sure enough, I started rocking the game.
This really is the best DS post I've seen here.

There are a lot of styles, but heavy armor, a good stability shield, and a halberd with long range and lightning was the most forgiving early game setup. Find a weapon you feel comfortable with, make sure you have enough Endurance to block stuff, and then just get comfortable. Dex builds are nice, but really tougher to play then heavy armor and equipment load reducing rings.

The game is meant to be tough and you are meant to die. My first play through I didn't even know what the fuck parry was, and it's arguably the most OP thing in the game.

I played through completely spoiler free my first time, but finally broke down in Tomb of the Giants.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played DS enough to give an example but I'd bet that there are some builds that seem intuitive at first but because of balancing are really shitty.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First run through is all about winged spear and glass Crest shield. Upgrade to lightning and build pump all your early points into endurance and vitality. Use havel's ring and endurance ring. Also start as pyromancer with the master key. This allows you to go the easy way in blight town and the pyro Armour is one of the highest poison and disease resists in the game. Upgrade your wing spear to lightning and a curved sword to quelags for smough.