Dark Souls 2

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
This game really lacks breadth of viable builds. It was awesome on the first playthrough, but any consecutive runs leave me completely underwhelmed with the stat system and the general variety of builds that are comparable in power to the generic warrior type. I'm missing what games like the Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Elder Scrolls series had, i.e. the ability to play through the game 4-5 times on wildly different character archetypes and get completely unique but equally rewarding gameplay experiences. This game has melee attacks and nukes, everything else feels like a partially developed system tacked on to optionally supplement one of the two. Archery is useful, for instance, but can't carry a playthrough. The pool of equally viable choices is so small and feel mostly the same that it really compromises the replay value for me.

DS2's stat system doesn't lend itself to natural build diversity, and since its spellcasting system is criminally awful and belongs in something from 1997, an entire archetype of characters is rendered too shitty-feeling for me to even tolerate playing irrespective of its actual viability. I don't feel like I could make an archer, a cleric, a thief, a spellsword or anything like that. I can make melee characters where the only real difference is in my choice of weapon; I can add a splash of magic for utility and buffs, but there's so little of this; or I can make a sorcerer type for which the mechanics are so horrendously unbearable that it feels like an alpha test. A few more builds exist for PvP exclusively, but they're worthless in PvE.

They really could have done more with the class system to promote alternate playstyles. The leveling scale is also disappointing as the point of leveling is almost completely gone by level 150-200ish, which is especially strange given how much effort they made to encourage multiple playthroughs with one character through the NG+ system. It's like they made the game support leveling into the several hundreds but provided no real benefit to doing so. Stat softcaps occur so early that continued leveling is largely worthless, and mechanical limitations severely restrict the extent to which one can combine combat and magic. While there's a lot of weapons and armor, a small selection is superior to all else.

Lol. Nope

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
This games level design is so random. I thought the first DS was all over the place but it actually made sense if read the lore. The levels in DS2 are just long corridors funneling you to one end point.

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
Lmao, another dude that logged out. Give my regards to Killivek-Dumar.

Fuck you, I'll play any shitty video I want. Dex weapons are great , Strength weapons are fun. Praise the sun!!!

DavivMcD

Peasant
...but tell me Ronne how this game has bad build diversity
I think you mean axeman, and you could start by actually reading the 3 paragraphs where he explained it.

It's not even restricted down to multiple melee playstyles. It's one single playstyle. The only choice you really get is whether you prefer STR or DEX weapons, but they play the same. I like playing a heavy armor, tanky build in most games that have that option. In DS 1 and 2, it can be pretty effective throughout a lot of the game, but eventually there will be a boss, or just regular mobs in a new area, where tanking doesn't cut it. And so I slap on some light armor, roll around til I get dizzy, and one shot encounters I wiped on a dozen times trying to do it the hard way. I did archer, pyromancer, and miracle playthroughs of DS 1 as well (never tried sorcery) and it was the same thing. You can have fun for a while, but when things get tough whip out that lightweight melee set to get the job done.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Having your HP cut in half because you've died to much is without a doubt the stupidest fucking mechanic in all of gaming.

These games are good in spite of their design, not because of it. Combat and exploration = great. Everything else = shit.
As was posted you can limit your HP loss to 75% with a ring.

The design makes you choose. You can stockpile deaths and use an effigy, or you can just have each death cost 3k souls <6k if you want petrification protection, but I was petrified.. like once in my playthrough>. The first half of the game I just saved effigies <a mistake>. The second half I saved a bunch of souls from some coop and just paid the 3k/6k per death. My only complaint about this is PVP can throw a monkey wrench into the equation with no discernible gain from being invaded, but it does add fun.

Dark Souls 2 Wiki - Ring of Life Protection

The design actually makes death matter which I like. It's missing in way too many games. I hoarded my effigies and when the game was over I still had 20 or so. I imagine I'll need them if I go much further in NG.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
The more I think about it, the more I hate this game.

Some of my issues, just to name a few:

- Game forces you to follow a certain path from the beginning
- Each area presents nonsensical obstacles
- Several bonfires per level. Whose bright idea was that?
- Rehashed story and characters from Dark Souls

Did any Dark Souls developers work on the sequel? It feels like a cheap imitation.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The director of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls was not involved with the making of Dark Souls 2, and you're right that it shows.

Edit: And can someone please RRP that video-posting faggot?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I forgot what its like to play a challenging and punishing game. It'd be a lot easier with a different control shcheme though, I'd probably wipe the floor with the mobs if this had a skyrim like movement system.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sadly, the PC version doesn't even come close to taxing any remotely new hardware, yet it still has the shitty downgraded lighting model of the console version. Apparently they just ripped out the old lighting and replaced it entirely, rather than leaving the possibility of toggling between the two on powerful machines. SweetFX fixes the problem somewhat but it's still ugly for a 2014 game.
I agree. This game actually runs better then the original modded DS on PC even with a slightly better lighting and high res textures. But I just can't fathom why they couldn't just fork development between PC and last gen consoles. While playing the game you keep getting torch drops, which leads me to believe that the game was originally intended to be played in a much different way then it is now and lighting was supposed to be a very important aspect of gameplay.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Does the PC version just not bind shit properly?
Its absolutely fine, I don't know what people are bitching about. Plug in XBOX 360 controller, right trigger is strong attack, right shoulder weak attack. Left trigger shield bash/parry, left shoulder block. So your left fingers do shield maneuvers, right fingers do attacks. Then the buttons are you standard sprint/roll/item. Left analog moves, right analog controls camera. D-pad navigates menus and swaps equipped items/weapons. Its like the same control scheme as 99% of 3rd person action games.

I think the problems can be summarized as "dont KB&M", and "don't own a shitty generic gamepad".

BTW though, WTF is up with non-respawning enemies? How the shit am I supposed to grind out levels?

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
You get more then enough souls to level by just playing. I think I finished around SL 130 after my first NG playthrough. You generally need far less souls to level in DS2 then you did in DS1.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I get that they are a console game dev team, but do they not game on a PC at all? LMB=left weapon, RMB=right weapon as default. Um, no, LMB=primary attack, thank you. Yeah, the guy is ambidextrous, but lefty just feels awkward. And double click for strong attack is retarded, because of the already mentioned single-click wait delay, and the fact that if you remap it and accidentally double-click your guy doesn't swing at all, which is easy to do with the delay. And pre-made list of key bindings? NO.

Other than that, it's fine.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Using a keyboard + mouse for Dark Souls is roughly the equivalent of trying to play Starcraft with a light gun. Why would you not use the control scheme that is many times easier and more efficient?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Using a keyboard + mouse for Dark Souls is roughly the equivalent of trying to play Starcraft with a light gun. Why would you not use the control scheme that is many times easier and more efficient?
Because I had zero issues beating DS1 several times with kb/m? Because I don't use controllers on my pc unless I have no other option? Because I somehow forgot to packbothmy pc controllers when I moved? All of the above?

Also, not being able to use tab for target lock, or any single keypress really makes me want to punch someone in the fucking face.