Dark Souls 2

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I heard terrible nightmares about Blighttown and remember some dude saying "follow the torches, they show where the ladders are" so I did just that. Looked to my left at the bottom and it was dark, to my right I could see land, so I went for land. One-shot or two-shot Quelaag and never looked back. Didn't even get a frame rate issue.

Something weird is happening. I've never had the desire to replay a game before (with exception of SNES RPGs/Zelda), but I'm fiending to replay this game again.

BTW, DLC is out July 22nd.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I play through Demon's, DS1 and now DS2 constantly. It's like a permanent filler between any other/new games that come out. I have no idea how it manages to stay entertaining to me after literally hundreds of hours, but I'm also pretty amazed by it. I rarely play through an entire game more than twice, if even that.

I'm still salty about my pyro, though. ;;

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Got PS4 controller hooked up via bluetooth. Wireless controller on my dual 780ti beast. Shit is hella tight, nephew.
What are you using for bluetooth? When I was looking to connect my DS4 via Bluetooth I read that not all Bluetooth dongles play nice with the DS controllers.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
No. Upgraded my hardware doubling my fps, started NG+ and broke my god damn washing pole before I got to the first bonfire.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No, upgraded my hardware, started NG+ and broke my god damn washing pole before I got to the first bonfire.
I really regret forking over $25 for the DLC now. That bug should have been fixed. From doesn't deserve anymore money.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Wait, what's the durability bug?

I am digging this new patch all around with the exception of constant spell nerfs. Maybe it's because I'm just getting into using them as they are nerfed (literally within two weeks of using Pyro - swathe etc. then certain hexes and now faith) but I really never thought any of them were deserving of the drastic nerfs they received. Yeah, tweaking & balancing I could see as being needed in areas like swathes power but to make it do the damage of a fireball, remove all the range, and take 2 slots for 2 casts is fucking RETARDED. Same now for lightning spears, etc.

I just don't understand these spell changes overall. I'm glad they make changes in the game revolving around the PvP aspect and that they pay attention to PvP balance but something just seems...off. I expect more changes.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wait, what's the durability bug?

I am digging this new patch all around with the exception of constant spell nerfs. Maybe it's because I'm just getting into using them as they are nerfed (literally within two weeks of using Pyro - swathe etc. then certain hexes and now faith) but I really never thought any of them were deserving of the drastic nerfs they received. Yeah, tweaking & balancing I could see as being needed in areas like swathes power but to make it do the damage of a fireball, remove all the range, and take 2 slots for 2 casts is fucking RETARDED. Same now for lightning spears, etc.

I just don't understand these spell changes overall. I'm glad they make changes in the game revolving around the PvP aspect and that they pay attention to PvP balance but something just seems...off. I expect more changes.
60fps on PC version causing 2x durability loss, 1/2 invincibility frames

They've made being a spell caster really unfun, imho. I can't even stomach finishing my spell caster on it's first playthrough. Melee is so superior in this game and fun. Spell micro-managing isn't fun at all and the constant nerfs of spells.

Kaosu

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Red iron Twinblades is exceptionally powerful now. Dark Infused gives me about 600 AR (with bonuses at SL 350ish). Add dark weapon and Oath to it and I'm getting on average about 700 to 900 per hit in PVP with it.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I am loving Twinblades finally. A lot of these weapons should have been this way since day 1 tbh.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Finished the Platinum for Dark Souls I. While not too difficult, it was MUCH more time consuming than the Platinum for Dark Souls II. Dark Souls II you really can't miss anything needed for a Platinum and you just need to beat the game two and a half times. There are a couple of annoying trophy aspects (like getting 30 sunlight medals for a prayer and ranking up bell bros for a sorcery) but nothing too bad. Dark Souls 1 has Knights Honor which is annoying because it's possible to completely miss some stuff if you don't know it's needed. I did it in the two and a half completion but I nearly messed up. I didn't realize that one of the weapons you needed was from Paladin Leeroy until after beating Gravelord Nito for the second time. I had to start a NG++ for one last Sif's Soul and to turn in Gwyn's soul for a Miracle anyway so it didn't set me back too far. I was just super nervous with Leeroy because of people complaining about him falling to his death and missing out on his weapon drops. But I two shot him with Crystal Soul Spears and he never came close to falling.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, I was one of the complainers didn't have too much trouble first platinum got lucky, but the second time I platted DS1 it took me like.... 6 Leeroy's - and the tailcuts for Aramis and Seath gave me fits too.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I made sure to do all the tail cuts on NG when it's the easiest. Priscella never gave me too many problems but Seath is a bastard. Especially when solo and his tail constantly clips into the wall and prevents you from hitting it / cutting it off.

Ornstein and Smough were annoying because I made a point to kill Smough last on my NG run (fully solo). I decided to enlist help on my NG+ run and one guy went balls deep on Ornstein and obliterated him turning Smough super. I took the sin hit and used the Black Crystal to banish him and suicided. The next run I had two people helping and both saw I wanted Ornstein's soul and helped by distracting Ornstein, taking pot shots at Smough while I beat Smough down (really easy when you don't have a hyper aggressive dragonslayer trying to skewer you).

Final note: 4 Kings do, indeed, suck on NG+. You just have no room for error and it's a pretty harsh DPS race with other Kings spawning.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So while you pros are talking about plating DS, I kind of ran aground playing DS2. I hate the specs I've tried and miss my build in DS1 that carried me through the whole game.

In DS1 I had a lightning winged spear that was boosted by my INT score, and had some spell casting. I felt like I was ready for any enemy encounter and could engage on my own terms.

In DS2 I've tried different melee specs including heavy weapon, mundane santier's spear, sword n board etc. and nothing is that fun. I keep hearing that casting is weak in this game and all the weapons I want to try seem so weak against bosses and tough mobs (so I always go back to blunt weapons).

What's an effective and fun PVE spec to try for a first playthrough?