Dark Souls 3

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So the big complaints I had after beating DS2:
. Didn't like the environments, it just seemed like one shit hole after the other instead of grandiose and incredible landscapes like they were in DS1
. Thought the game got very formulaic
. Most of the engagements were more irritating than difficult.
. Didn't like the effigy mechanic

How do those complaints stack up against DS3?
Did you play scholar of the first sin? I felt it greatly improved upon that.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lizard is easy, just let it do some big stupid attack, rush in and hit it three(ish) times and roll back out. I took no damage on the first try.

Don't kill it right away though; wait until you've been to Firelink because there's a secret area that contains an item you should have equipped for it.

Go up top at the shrine and out onto the cliff area where the locked door is. Key costs 20k, but don't worry about that. What you want to do is jump onto the roof of the shrine, using the large tree's roots as a springboard of sorts. It's tricky, take off all your armor for max run speed/jump distance. Once you're up there you will find a way into the rafters of the shrine where the raven girl's nest is (not sure what sort of trades she does this time around). There's a estus shard in plain sight, and a secret door on the opposite end of the rafters from where you enter. Go through that, straight ahead and drop down. Open the chest there for a silver +XP ring. Now you can turn the shard into the blacksmith for +1 flask uses and go back and kill the lizard for like 20% more XP.
Regarding the ambient sound issues I had yesterday: a simple reboot fixed it, somehow.

I haven't noticed any mechanic punishing me double for repeatedly dying, if that's what you mean by the effigy mechanic
Not being in ember mode is a punishment, especially since they are much less common than humanity was. You lose the 30% hp bonus and can't get invaded by NPC phantoms, and they drop weapons that can't be acquired any other way. You can coop or invade to get them, but fuck that--I am not spoiling my experience by doing that shit. If I can't find an offline farmable source of them soon I'm going to be pretty annoyed with this game, because once you kill an area boss you can no longer be invaded, just like in the previous Souls.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Probably just a simple sound driver issue that was fixed upon reloading it during a reboot

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Seeing all the PC problems you guys are having makes me glad for the PS4 version. Anyone playing on PS4?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Not being in ember mode is a punishment, especially since they are much less common than humanity was. You lose the 30% hp bonus and can't get invaded by NPC phantoms, and they drop weapons that can't be acquired any other way. You can coop or invade to get them, but fuck that--I am not spoiling my experience by doing that shit. If I can't find an offline farmable source of them soon I'm going to be pretty annoyed with this game, because once you kill an area boss you can no longer be invaded, just like in the previous Souls.
I havent even used an ember yet. Mebbe thats why I struggled so mich at the start.

Good info to know though, thanks.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Why is it that everytime you ask Hodj for help, you end up naked?

That being said, I haven't crashed since I removed my clothes.

Vorph

Seeing all the PC problems you guys are having makes me glad for the PS4 version. Anyone playing on PS4?
I'm not having any PC problems at all now. Sound thing was my fault, I should have thought to reboot right away.

Console versions sound like they've got some pretty serious framerate problems. The Xbone problems are much worse, but I've read that the PS4 is not stable at 30 fps in some areas either. I had considered going with PS4 because of From's previous issues with making a decent port, but I'm definitely glad I went with the PC version instead. I get very occasional drops to 45-ish fps while running around, and I expect the 1.1 patch to fix that up to 60 fps all the time based on the reports of it being a significant performance patch.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I've had zero issues on PC so far. Didn't get to play as long as I would have liked but just can't take time off work right now

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
Torrented the game last night.

I spent an hour in the noob zone and could not defeat the first boss.

I chose the class of "Deprived".

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
It was a night and day difference between starting out as a Cleric and the Knight. The Knight's armor and shield provide so much more protection than even the Cleric's armor, I can only imagine the difference between Knight and Deprived. The Knight's sword has a really awesome and fast moveset too, which made life much easier than using my Cleric's mace.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Game plays too much like BB for my liking (twitchy combat w bizarre hit boxes), but the environments are great.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
It was a night and day difference between starting out as a Cleric and the Knight. The Knight's armor and shield provide so much more protection than even the Cleric's armor, I can only imagine the difference between Knight and Deprived. The Knight's sword has a really awesome and fast moveset too, which made life much easier than using my Cleric's mace.
Deprived is ultra hard mode. I chose deprived because I would like to dictate my own class.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Game plays too much like BB for my liking (twitchy combat w bizarre hit boxes), but the environments are great.
I loved BB so that sounds good to me
smile.png

Wonder if they have a patch for the PS4 version to help with Frames?

Edit: Looks like they do. Who here is playing it on PS4 with 1.03 installed?Game Gets Discounted Prices : In the news : BREATHEcast

PS4 Patch was released in Japan on the 8th it sounds like.

Can anyone comment? I still haven't picked up my version yet.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Uchigatana seems really underwhelming to me, I've been building quality though since it seems pretty damn well rounded with all the weapons in this game. The heal you get from the butcher knife is actually pretty damn good, i may just use that for awhile

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I loved BB so that sounds good to me
smile.png

Wonder if they have a patch for the PS4 version to help with Frames?

Edit: Looks like they do. Who here is playing it on PS4 with 1.03 installed?Game Gets Discounted Prices : In the news : BREATHEcast

PS4 Patch was released in Japan on the 8th it sounds like.

Can anyone comment? I still haven't picked up my version yet.
I played some on the PS4 after the 1.3 patch, and while I never got that far I did notice frame drops in one area before patch, did some of the same area after patch and didn't notice them. So it is improved.

The biggest problem was the later bosses though, and I can't comment on them. The framedrops on the Xbox version there (not seen a stream of the PS4 version of those bosses) were so severe that it caused input lag. Made you unable to dodge and attack accurately since the lag made your actions queue instead of activating when pressed.

@Vorph gifts for the nest
I don't think the bird accepts specific items anymore, but rather it gives a reward per item. A soul might give a shard, larger soul gives larger shard, repair powder gives an item, embers, etc. Just try dropping various things. Does not accept multiples of the same item. No idea if there is one specific item that has a chance of a higher reward similarly to the stone in DS2. I started with the gift of "soul of someone who was next to you" to give to it. Only starting item that I don't think you can find elsewhere in the game.

EDIT:
Sorcerer vs Assassin
Should also note that if anyone plans to start a sorcerer, I would go with Assassin. Does not take long to get NPCs that sell you the starting sorcerer spells, but I don't know how long it takes to find the safe fall spell that the Assassin starts with. I never got it as a sorc 15 hours into the PS4 version. It is great since it makes you immune to fall damage while active. Negates the falling down puzzles/secrets that these games have in plenty. Since this game uses mana and not X uses per spell, it is pointless to attune more than one of each spell.

Vorph

Deprived is ultra hard mode. I chose deprived because I would like to dictate my own class.
It's not really. You just need to beat one trivial boss and some trash to get to a vendor that will sell you gear as good as what most classes start with. You can overcome the souls deficit by farming a bit more than you might bother to on other starting classes.

The downside is that you start with 10's across the board, and at least to me that's the exact opposite of being able to dictate my own class. Not using magic is far more of an 'ultra hard mode' than starting as Deprived, and starting as warrior sets you up perfectly for that because of int/fai/att all being dump stats. That said, I may regret not having much FP in the long run because of weapon skills and have to end up putting points into att anyway.