Dark Souls 3

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
DS1 had poise issues? And here I was sure that all those Havel geared builds just literally melee'd through hits. Because mine certainly did.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just killed Dancer before Vordt in NG+

Master summon actually makes the fight harder because he does fuck all damage and then dies early in phase 2, and majorly boosts her hitpoints.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
[BEWARE BUG] The Defense stat is (almost) completely useless!! : darksouls3

You seem to have known about all of the bosses and the path through the game ahead of time. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. First play thru I was over 50.
Beyond their names, I didn't really know much about bosses. I would complete a zone and then read the IGN guide to see if I missed anything important I wanted to go back for, usually I didn't miss much though. I didn't know any strats beforehand, the only exception being the dragon was spoiled for me in an unrelated youtube video.

The only reason I knew what areas I had left was the table of contents on the guide listed the zones in order, that's why I knew I only had the grand archive left (which was disappointing, didn't even die once traversing the place).

Also most bosses I killed within 3 attempts. Exceptions was Iudex Gundyr took me like 10, Aldrich took me about 7, Pontiff took about 6, and Princes took about 4. I'm no god at the game, but I'd guess I'm slightly above average.

There's a shortcut right next to the boss room.
I figured there probably was, I was basically running from the bonfire right before archives, up the elevator, and through the gauntlet of blue knights. I basically walked into the boss fight the first time not knowing there was a boss and then each attempt just kept running back.

Also not sure if my build/playstyle attributed to my short playtime. I'm sitting at 50+ str, a ton of HP and endurance and I hit for a fuckton of damage with a +9dark sword/+9 exile greatsword.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also, if you are any good at pyro, the charm spell on the BKs makes the whole climb a joke and one of the best XP farms in the game.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Speaking of BKs. In DS1 they raped my ass pretty hard, in this game they felt pretty damn weak. Maybe it's just because I'm a better player now. Also seemed like there were way more of them than DS1. Even the Anor Londo archers only hit me once or twice.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
The Silver Knights got a little harder with the new moves, and the Anor Londor run up is alot easier as the knights sit on top a wide platform while in DS1 it was a very narrow ledge you had to fight on.

Can also use Rapport on the three Winged Knights on top of Grand Archives, very good exp with all the +souls gear.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I finished this a few days ago too. Looking back now I think DS2 scholar version was my favorite (skipped the launch version because I didnt want to play it on ps3 when i knew a ps4 version would coming, i am sure that makes a huge difference). I hope the dlc for DS3 is as good as DS2, because those are two of my favorite areas in the series.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm got 4 blue invasions on my SL82 last night. Nice.

Still needs blue orb invasions and sin for killing NPC/players imo

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Just DLC area of DS1 to go and then I can play SoFS for the first time.

I'm thinking some pure str UGS or Giant Axe hulk smash type, I haven't played that way yet. I assume it's a bit challenging when you aren't grinding enough souls to pair massive armor to go with it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The bosses in the beginning of DS2 are so weak that if you pump a STR 2hander you can kill them in like 4 hits. In fact I killed the final boss of DS2 with a great club+10 in like 5 hits I think.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
[BEWARE BUG] The Defense stat is (almost) completely useless!! : darksouls3

You seem to have known about all of the bosses and the path through the game ahead of time. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. First play thru I was over 50.
I had yesterday off of work and decided to dive into NG+ for fun. My build is not optimal, but I am basically doing a 40/40 Pyro build rocking the Sunbro or MLGS most of the time (Ith Sword early on), or at least 40/40 is where I am at now. First play, I absolutely crawled through the game because I was doing it spoiler free and I checked every nook and cranny (plus I died a fair amount with a generic all 20s sort of setup) and cleared out every last inch of the game. This time, I am doing my best to clear all of the stuff out and after a day of play, but not farming extra souls. In a single day of play, knowing where everything was and having my character basically set how I wanted, I got all the way up to both the Archives and Nameless King fights before I logged off for the day. There is absolutely no way in hell you could do complete sweeps of any prior game in this series in that amount of time, but I also agree that playing it cold the first time should have taken much longer than Noodle's run seems to be going.

Observations while playing NG:
Monlight Greatsword, if you have the stats, is one of the few boss weapons worth using. It is relatively good on the stamina damage ratio and the built in shot ability is really handy. It also has one of the better reach and hitboxes of the larger weapons I have tried out. Wolnir's GS is not bad either, as an alternative when fighting magic resistant enemies, but you are probably better off grabbing the Sunbro sword and using a shield at that point. Every other boss weapon either suffers from poor movesets, too much split damage (/cry Dancer Blades), or just plain sucking overall.

Embers that do not drop off of farmable mobs are somewhat finite in the game. I kept track of all the ones I looted off of the ground and bought from vendors. It ended up being around 52 total, so if you intend to Vorph it and play entirely offline, that's how many times you can rekindle before you have to farm.

Faith is garbage in this game, aside from Pyro builds. Even if lightning hit like it did in early DS2 (spoiler: It doesn't), the casting times on the spells blow on the entire school and the mana efficiency is fucking terrible. With the relocation of the primary Dark spells into Pyro, plentiful homeward bones (that you won't even need after the darkened shrine), and minimal amount of lightning weak enemies in the game, there is no reason for anyone not doing Pyro to pump this stat at all. The whole spell line needs a redesign, as the first spell you get (mini heal) is both the most mana efficient and the only one castable in combat. /fuckingthingsucks.gif

Sorcery is fun, but like someone else stated, its just too much fucking work to make it functional. A 30/30 pyro does as much damage as a 50+ int Sorc, and the Sorc has to be nearly at the end game to even get a fraction of the gear they need. Having said that, the bulk of the people who invaded me during my NG+ run had fuck all for magic resist, likely because no one would bother with sorcery, and I was able to do fucktons of damage to them with the magic based MLGS, so there is some merit in using a magic scaling weapon, if you are doing the pyro thing. Also, Hidden Body and Spook let you bypass a TON of annoying bullshit in this game for the low investment of 18 INT.

Pyro is super OP, but its mostly three spells that are the most outrageously good. Dark Balls (or whatever its called this game) is a spell that you get fairly early and has one of the best mana to damage ratios in the game, even at the minimum stats needed to use it (20/20), especially since even the small amount of dark resistant enemies still take a good amount of damage from it. Its pretty much too slow to bother with in PvP, outside of group ganks. Great Chaos Fireball is hands down the best spell in the game, if for no other reason than that the lava pool secondary ability will either sap endurance or chip nearly as much damage as the main hit. Its fast to cast and does FUCKLOADS of damage, even to enemies resistant to fire. The lava pool can and does fuck people up in PVP, especially since it expands out farther than >30% rollers can go in one roll. I fully expect it to get nerfed, since it is the best spell to use both in PvE and PvP. The charm spell, in the areas it works (stairs before Two Princes being the major one), is ridiculous and I have surprised a couple gankers by charming stuff they were hiding behind as well.

For me, DS2>DS1> DeS>DS3>BB but it comes down to personal preference and saying something is the worst FROM game is like saying a blowjob was the worst one, i.e. still better than 99% of the shit out there. I doubt I will touch this game after this NG run until all the DLC hits, though. Balance, liner design, and over use of the "can't roll swamp lol" areas are what knock it down a little for me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't really explain the time on my game. It felt much longer in the beginning, at 10 hours I was only up to Farron Keep or so, but once I started really levelling the game just became a breeze. Might be my build, not sure.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Good post. The things that "knock it down" for you irk me as well, and in its current form I'd probably feel compelled, if pressed to evaluate it relative to other Soulsborne games, to place it at the bottom. Still a masterpiece for sure, and I don't give a shit about the annoying swamps, but they fucked up in areas I'd assumed were immune to fuckup at such a late juncture in the series' development. Weapon balance is a trainwreck and build balance isn't much better. Level design, as predicted, is exquisite, but it lacks the scope of DkS1 (looking down from Sen's Tower) and the longevity of DS2 and is more linear than both.

I also didn't care for the devs' propensity to infuse the game with as much nostalgia as they did when they so often fucked it up - I mean, Anor Londo might be, along with Old Seb and ToFS, my favorite area in any game, ever. The way you clawed your way up through the grime and grit to reach the beautiful, opulent and just plain stunning geographical apex of the game, and it still just wants to kill you in the face. Hard. I loved that, and when I found it had been reduced to a dark fucking chamber - that it looked more beautiful in DS1 than DS3 - it really bothered me. Better not to include it, imo.

Other minor things that, in aggregate, mar its greatness:

Worst hub in the series, imo. Too big, too vertical.
Worst difficulty curve in the series. It goes from too easy, to appropriately challenging mid-game, to too easy.
No hexes. I miss hexes.
Abstruse questlines with abstruse triggers that are too missable.
Phoned-in ng+.
With Bloodborne, we got a Soulsborne bereft of basilisks. Seriously, fuck those things. They scare the piss out of me.

Still one of the best games ever made, and who knows. It might grow on me like DS2 did.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
I have to concur that pyromancy makes the game so much easier. Still on my first playthrough playing an all-around pyro build and the only boss that gave me some trouble so far was Aldrich, because there were a lot of attacks to figure out, also a lot of randomness in that fight. Sulyvanh went down the very first try, just summoned Gotthard, peppered S with fire orbs keeping my distance, got some swings in and that was it. Didn't have to figure/adjust anything. This shows how your build/playstyle can influence the difficulty of the game.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Yea pyromancy/spells in general have trivialized 75% (number form my ass) of all bosses in the souls game. I remember starting Dark Souls for the very first time a few years ago, and getting my shit pushed in as a newb. Restarted with the pyro, and even that first fireball makes the beginning so much easier.

Go pure melee, show them how pro you really are. Related:

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Mine was almost 60, so I don't get how anyone could beat it in less than half the time the first playthrough either.

Only spoilers I read was stuff related to not fucking up NPC quests, and I did every single one of them correctly which I'm sure added a fair amount of time double-checking things. Still failed Greirat anyway though, thanks to the bug they fixed last week, but that was way too late for me.

For bosses the front half of the game (pre-Pontiff) I killed almost all of them in one attempt, Sage and Demon King in two. Pontiff and Yhorm took a few tries, most of the rest took 2-3, and Dragonslayer Armor took like 5 because it was immune to bleed. The two beasts fight done without cheesing to separate them was by far the hardest thing in the game; that took me like 12-14 tries. I'm not even sure how it took as long as it did, considering I'd call this the easiest game in the series by a huge margin. I guess there was some offline covenant farming before I said fuck it to that retardation, but still...

Embers that do not drop off of farmable mobs are somewhat finite in the game. I kept track of all the ones I looted off of the ground and bought from vendors. It ended up being around 52 total, so if you intend to Vorph it and play entirely offline, that's how many times you can rekindle before you have to farm.
I stay embered pretty much 100% of the time so as to not miss a NPC invasion (yet still missed Kirk somehow) and ended the game with 80ish left. Almost every time I died I used one immediately, though there were a couple boss fights where I saved it as an emergency heal.

If you ever do run low, they're simple to farm off the knights between Voldt and Dancer. Equip silver ring, mimic hat, and crystal rapier, then pop a copper coin just before you engage the first one. There's 4 knights and you should get 2-3 embers per reset.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
So Ive got a question for you guys who know more about the mechanics.

Apparently poise doesnt work, Ive read up on that. I use the Zweihander, and the weapon art does the stomp that increases poise by some crazy amount, but if poise doesnt work, why does the weapon art work for me all the time? In both pvp and pve I catch enemies all the time, Ill stomp, get hit, and golfswing away. It works.

Is this just hyper-armor making my swing follow through? If poise doesnt work it must be something else. Whats going on here?