Dark Souls 3

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
i might just buy this game just so i can god-mode through it

don't really care about learning the mechanics, just want to have a chill time exploring and seeing the events and lore

did this recently for DS which i completed before, was a good time except blighttown, cuz fuck that place yes

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Dex works on casting speed

I did 20 dex + sage ring on my casters which is pretty good

Without sage ring I think you need a ton more dex

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Dammit. I screwed up the Lord of Hollows ending because the Cheat Guide referred to it as Usurping the Fire. I was like "Nope, don't want Usurping the Fire ending" so I killed the Pilgrim who was sent to assassinate Anri. No I can't get the Dark Sigils I need. Sigh... I guess that's what NG+ will be for.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
My addiction may be getting out of hand. I'm near Nico with expansion area left in DS1 but I've already started my DS2 game and farmed up the +souls ring, flame longsword, and gotten a few stats out of the shitter by beating down old knights with the morningstar. It took me a bit to realize why rolling didn't work at all - I had forgotten about fucking agility and War starts at 5 att/5 adp, so I was dealing with the "SURPRISE! What the fuck is this mob doing here!?" of SoFS with the worst possible agility.

I also took at look at my BB char to see why NG+ was such a kick in the nuts and yeah, I finished that game with pretty minimal stats. 20 end vit and shit like that. So to get to the DLC I'll have to get my shit pushed in for a bit until I can get to an acceptable farm spot.

Dunno why I waited so long to play Scholar but hey, I'm full on the Dark Souls train now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I still need to beat SOTFS. I stopped because the vanilla game was so mind-numbingly easy after I had already beaten it a few times prior. Maybe I'll do it after I beat DS3.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It's the only one with a NG+ that matters really.

Although Bloodborne does seem to scale well to me. aka the second boss kicking my underleveled ass.

Lol @ adding aggro Heigre knights and goddamn turtles everywhere. I was trying to roll into their swing.. at 85 agi.

*crunch* *crunch* what the fuck?

nate_sl

shitlord
About to finish ng+, as a level 154 pyromancer. I'm using the lightest possible armor (prayer robe, prayer legs, masters gloves, and the old sage's blindfold), dark estoc/pyro glove primary, and green crest shield offhand. Sage, Witch, Great Swamp, and Fire Clutch rings. 40 end, 45 int, 40 faith, 10 str, 16 dex, 20 vit, 33 vigor, 30 attunement. Puts me at 29.8% weight, 5 spell slots.

After testing lots of builds, this is by far the easiest in pve and the build I find most enjoyable in pvp. Great chaos fireball 1 shots all PvE trash, and 2 shots most difficult normal mobs. It trivializes 90% of the boss encounters. I feel like I can just run through the game at this point, dodging and hurling out hot death.

In PvP, I'm about the only "pure" pyromancer I've encountered, though lots supplement their build with it. Even though it is hardly flavor of the month (2 hand ultra weapon is the most common build I see), it does remarkably well, using great chaos fireball, flame surge, sacred flame and random 4th pyro spell (usually fire rope, fire storm, or profaned flame, but none of them are nearly as useful as the first 3).

My strategy is to start by taunting and softening them up with fire surge. Pepper them with that, then roll away twice before they can hit. This takes them out of their comfort zone, as most people want to get in close. I can generally take away 10-20% of their hp before they adjust and stop trying to run at me. At this point, most will try and pursue using circle strafe, which is my setup to hit them with Great Chaos Fireball.

The trick with GCF in PvP is to not lock onto the target and manually aim. Your goal is to shoot it a few feet in front of yourself and have your opponent run into it for massive damage. It takes skill and a bit of luck, but a hit with GCFB usually takes them < 30%. I can finish them off with a mix of the estoc/fire surge, or even sacred flame to be stylish, though that is riskier. The estoc is great for catching people off guard, it has excellent range and will often interrupt/stun bigger weapons, allowing you to roll away before getting hit. It does a surprising amount of damage, and also gives you a way to deal with shields.

Sacred flame is a scary spell, it has hyper armor frames and KO potential, and is very hard for an opponent to predict. The animation is so similar to GCF, If your opponent is dodging GCF, roll away and switch to sacred flame. You can usually catch them expecting a close quarters GCF and crush them with it.

The overall key is to maintain proper distance and use your speed advantage. Most people are sitting between 30-70% weight and will have serious problems catching you if you are quick. Fire surge can get you killed if you hold on too long, you will quickly learn to roll away rather than holding on for an extra half second. It's more practical to use to as bait for GCF then as your primary damage tool.

I'm still debating what to put in the final attunement slot. Firestorm rarely hits, has a long cast time, and leaves you extremely vulnerable. I've had people dodge the flame entirely, then hit me before I could finish the casting animation and roll away. The 4th spell is the only thing I'm still figuring out, and I may just drop to 24 attunement, though the extra mana is really nice (for one, your +10 estus gives more FP than you have total at 24 attunement, and it's nice to have some extra capacity so when you aren't totally OOM you still get the full amount of FP).

I have played and beat all the prior Souls games, and never done any PVP other than some covenant stuff. I've had a blast this last week hanging out in Pontiff Sulyvahn dueling, though I think the standard PvP level around SL 120? My build will scale down fine, so I may reroll as deprived to fix some minor stats issues and stay at SL 120. I want to work towards the sage ring +3, since it would allow me to stay at 12 dex for the estoc while maintaining full cast speed benefits.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
So in preparing for NG+, a question re: ring collection in the event that I decide to go for the platinum:

If I, say, miss Ring of Steel Protection (poor me!) and start a new game, does that mean I've fucked myself because its +1 version will spawn in its place? Or does the +1 version have a different location?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Hrm I do remember that the bosses were the only thing that didn't suck dick about the DS1 expansion ;/

Fuck these npcs are ugly.

Uh, Spooge afaik you need all 3. But I'm not on console.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Hrm I do remember that the bosses were the only thing that didn't suck dick about the DS1 expansion ;/

Fuck these npcs are ugly.

Uh, Spooge afaik you need all 3. But I'm not on console.
Youdoneed all three. My question is whether if I miss, say, the first, does the second spawn in its place in ng+? In other words, do I miss the first altogether if I miss it in NG?

TheBigTor_sl

shitlord
Youdoneed all three. My question is whether if I miss, say, the first, does the second spawn in its place in ng+? In other words, do I miss the first altogether if I miss it in NG?
The +1 and 2 versions spawn in different locations from their lesser versions while the standard versions are right where they were originally in the normal version of the game. That is how it seemed to me on my ng+ play through as I have two of almost everything now.

(Edit: I r 2 slow)

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Lol Knight Artorias, 90% of my sta with a black iron greatshield block, and it can be up to a 4 hit combo, near constant aggressiveness.. now this is fun.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's the only one with a NG+ that matters really.

Although Bloodborne does seem to scale well to me. aka the second boss kicking my underleveled ass.

Lol @ adding aggro Heigre knights and goddamn turtles everywhere. I was trying to roll into their swing.. at 85 agi.

*crunch* *crunch* what the fuck?
Those turtles fuck me up so bad. So do the Knights! Much respect for kicking their ass!

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Oh weak. Artorias is a total pushover pussbag if you roll instead of trying to block his nuclear bomb swings. Whoops.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Those turtles fuck me up so bad. So do the Knights! Much respect for kicking their ass!
I had to get adaptability to 12 to double my roll frames for the stupid turtles. Before that I kept wondering why I was rolling right into near death.

Unelss you mean the green giants. Those guys are the soul farm right out the gate. Pick up the morningstar and get your classes shit stats to 10 each.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Thinking of playing through DS2 now that I have beat DS3 5 times. Kinda worried with Palum saying the updated DS2 is a total rapetrain though.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Thinking of playing through DS2 now that I have beat DS3 5 times. Kinda worried with Palum saying the updated DS2 is a total rapetrain though.
It's not that bad until you get into the DLC areas. The revamped DS2 has a better layout and enemy placement but it's not a rapefest at all until the DLC sections. Those areas are rough and don't bother with Sorcery in them.