Dark Souls 3

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I need something to hold me over til a new soulsborne game appears on the horizon.

Are there any games like this, that aren't Soulsborne?

Key points for me:

Action RPG
Combat being at least SLIGHTLY more tactical than "hit attack with face until everything is dead"
Build Diversity; The game allowing me to build and customize the way I fight, to fit my play style (sorcery, or a big ass sword? YOU CHOOSE)

I play Monster Hunter Games, but anything else?

Three come to mind for soulslike games.

In order of recommendation

- Nioh (as mentioned before me). Fantastic game. Guess I'd explain it as a bit more arcade like in speed than the souls games. If you think of the "speed" added to Bloodborne compared to Dark Souls, then add that difference again from Bloodborne to Nioh. Combat is fantastic though, and the game is large. Lots of bosses, side content, NG+ modes with not just increased HP\damage, but different encounters and such as well. A lot of content.

- The Surge.
----- Made from the developers of Lords of the Fallen (also on steam, not as good as The Surge, but still a soulslike game if you haven't played it). Game set in the future, but plays like a souls game but "heavier". In terms of difficulty, I'd say The Surge is closer to a Dark Souls. It takes the opposite side of speed than Nioh. Where Nioh is faster than Bloodborne, The Surge is slower than Dark Souls. Has DLC too which adds more content.

- Ashen (only on Epics game launcher at the moment, not sure when it will release on Steam).
----- It's a bit "easier", but a good 20ish hour experience. Not more than 5 or so bosses, but a decent game. Feels like indie Dark Souls.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Lords of the Fallen and The Surge are both good but flawed.

I couldn’t get into Nioh because the dodge button was something that kept screwing me up and I couldn’t change it. Should give it another go sometime.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Lords of the Fallen and The Surge are both good but flawed.

I couldn’t get into Nioh because the dodge button was something that kept screwing me up and I couldn’t change it. Should give it another go sometime.

You should, Nioh was my game of the year on release. Aside from the menu/gear management it is perfect.

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
i saw a thread on era about a mega-mod for Dark Souls on PC that released today after years of work, sounds really cool. way too deep into other games now to check it out, but any hardcore DS fans on PC
Daughters of Ash
Dark Souls: Daughters of Ash is a massive re-imagining and expansion of Dark Souls. It features new bosses and enemies, new characters, new storylines, new weapons and items, expanded lore, and plenty of new secrets. It offers about twice as much content as the original game, much of which cannot be discovered in one play-through.

Dark Souls: Daughters of Ash is the original Dark Souls (2011), re-imagined and massively expanded. It's my vision of what Dark Souls might have been if From Software had been given an additional six months to develop content for the game.

Experience a new adventure in Lordran. Your journey will be familiar in some ways, and very unfamiliar in others. Expect to encounter:

New game progression
Forget what you know about exploring Lordran. New world-changing events, key items, and unexpected pathways await you.
New bosses and enemies
Triumph in new boss battles, most of which are designed to promote novel gameplay rather than sheer increased difficulty. Encounter new enemies on your journey – including enemies restored from cut content – and watch many old bosses and enemies behave in new ways.
New NPCs and storylines
Meet new characters with brand new questlines, which will intersect in numerous unpredictable ways as your journey continues. Even the stories of familiar characters may take unexpected turns.
New weapons, items, and mechanics
Discover new weapons with brand new abilities, many of which will require keen insights and careful consideration to master. Most existing equipment will not be exactly the way you remember.
Expanded lore
Learn more about Lordran's past from new item descriptions and gameplay events. (All new content is written to build upon the lore of the original game, rather than conflict with it.)
New secrets
Don't expect to come anywhere close to unveiling all of the game's hidden content in one or two play-throughs.

z5DKaoK.jpg

• 3Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
i saw a thread on era about a mega-mod for Dark Souls on PC that released today after years of work, sounds really cool. way too deep into other games now to check it out, but any hardcore DS fans on PC
Daughters of Ash
Dark Souls: Daughters of Ash is a massive re-imagining and expansion of Dark Souls. It features new bosses and enemies, new characters, new storylines, new weapons and items, expanded lore, and plenty of new secrets. It offers about twice as much content as the original game, much of which cannot be discovered in one play-through.

Dark Souls: Daughters of Ash is the original Dark Souls (2011), re-imagined and massively expanded. It's my vision of what Dark Souls might have been if From Software had been given an additional six months to develop content for the game.

Experience a new adventure in Lordran. Your journey will be familiar in some ways, and very unfamiliar in others. Expect to encounter:

New game progression
Forget what you know about exploring Lordran. New world-changing events, key items, and unexpected pathways await you.
New bosses and enemies
Triumph in new boss battles, most of which are designed to promote novel gameplay rather than sheer increased difficulty. Encounter new enemies on your journey – including enemies restored from cut content – and watch many old bosses and enemies behave in new ways.
New NPCs and storylines
Meet new characters with brand new questlines, which will intersect in numerous unpredictable ways as your journey continues. Even the stories of familiar characters may take unexpected turns.
New weapons, items, and mechanics
Discover new weapons with brand new abilities, many of which will require keen insights and careful consideration to master. Most existing equipment will not be exactly the way you remember.
Expanded lore
Learn more about Lordran's past from new item descriptions and gameplay events. (All new content is written to build upon the lore of the original game, rather than conflict with it.)
New secrets
Don't expect to come anywhere close to unveiling all of the game's hidden content in one or two play-throughs.

z5DKaoK.jpg

Woah...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
anyone know a way to get the Prepare to Die Edition now that steam has replaced it with the remastered version?

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You will have to Torrent it at the moment.

Grim is planning a port for Remastered to come out later this year.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I've been needing a good RPG fix since my video card busted and had to switch to an old one and now my Skyrim modded game crashes like crazy. This looks damn amazing and thankfully I still had PtD edition installed.

e: Well didn't get very far. Tried all the instructions numerous times and can't get the game to open.

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So if I have Dark Souls - Prepare to Die edition and have barely played it while playing the shit out of DS3, I should play it and then download this new custom fan content or just download the custom fan content and do it that way?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So if I have Dark Souls - Prepare to Die edition and have barely played it while playing the shit out of DS3, I should play it and then download this new custom fan content or just download the custom fan content and do it that way?

I would play vanilla so the custom bits really set in. Then again DS is a very long game so if you are one to getting burned out I would just try the custom version.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Daughters of Ash is really good, I wouldn't play DS1 at all if you've played DS3 tons it all applys too DS1(except some smaller things but there easy), and I was not really impressed by Lords of the Fallen/The Surge, just seemed so slow vs DS/Bloodborne/Nioh combat.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Finally got the DOA mod going. It’s pretty fun but I will say so far I do think the original pathing of DS1 for the most part made more sense progression wise but that might just be because I’m used to it. Some of the boss changes so far are pretty cool.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Watched Asmongold play Dark Souls. He's pretty bad at it. I don't understand his appeal. He's got some videos on YouTube. Checking out his Dark Souls 3 stuff now.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Watched Asmongold play Dark Souls. He's pretty bad at it. I don't understand his appeal. He's got some videos on YouTube. Checking out his Dark Souls 3 stuff now.

He's pretty bad at everything tbh.

I think he just doesnt care and resigned himself to commentator

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
What changes are in? Like is this a must play for a souls guy?

A lot of it is a different progression through the game routing-wise. I think just about any area is open to you from the beginning (stuff like not having to wait for Sen's to open up, it just is.) There's some new bosses as well as bosses who've moved/have different behaviors. There's no changes to stuff like terrain or dialog, but certain characters will have different storylines, there's some new/different lore on items, some new items as well. It supposedly has twice the amount of content compared to the original DS1, boasts a lot of hidden events or things that'll take multiple playthroughs to discover. A lot of the fun is going into the game with all the basics of DS, but not quite knowing what's going to happen, it's freshened it up a bit.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

Group think and he's a super cuck that does reactions kids like or something

I was able to close the browser tab thru the cringing

• 1Like