Dark Souls

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are you using the Stone armor for Nito? makes him a lot easier tho you gotta fat roll most likely.

4 kings is pretty easy to dodge most attacks but that dark hand shield can block most of their magic, just have to watch their gay grab attack.

I went +7 or +8 with DS1 years ago but with an Int build, Dark Bead kicks both of those bosses' crap in, never really noticed much of a difficulty curve from +1 to +7 tbh, or at least it was a lot less of a curve than I expected it to be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Are you using the Stone armor for Nito? makes him a lot easier tho you gotta fat roll most likely.

4 kings is pretty easy to dodge most attacks but that dark hand shield can block most of their magic, just have to watch their gay grab attack.

I went +7 or +8 with DS1 years ago but with an Int build, Dark Bead kicks both of those bosses' crap in, never really noticed much of a difficulty curve from +1 to +7 tbh, or at least it was a lot less of a curve than I expected it to be.

Yeah I'm going full-melee build here, I know it'd be waaaaay easier with sorcery.

There's no way to re-spec in Souls 1 is there?

Just checked, my SL is 132. I could grind out some levels and get Sorcery going if I really have to. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to get 20 or so more levels if I found some good grinding spot.

Gotta get back to work cause super busy, turned the game on long enough to get a shot of my stats though.

20220620_165745.jpg

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Nito is super easy. You just have to clear the adds in one part of the area and stay behind him to one side. Duck back if he does his AOE and then run immediately back in. He is arguably one of the easiest DS1 main bosses to beat, once you get the trick. The same holy weapon you probably used to get down to him is the best choice, imo.

Four Kinds is a DPS test. Load a weapon you can do lots of damage with, pop the end regen potion, and be aggressive as you possibly can. I want to say I may have used BK Halberd for that fight most often, but I am not fully sure. Its probably the biggest road block in DS1, because it specifically fucks over builds that are defensive and methodical with zero recourse. You HAVE to have a hard hitting well leveled attack to win. There just is no way around it. Looking at your build, BK HB or Zweihander might be the best way to go in that fight. Your attack power seems a bit low from what I remember having by then. Your faith and INT are two low for some of the other weapons I would normally expect by now to be workable in the fight, though. I seem to remember Queelags ripping that shit up back in the day and I think the first time I beat the game I relied on a highly leveled up magic scaling pike for that battle.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Playing NG++ of Souls 1 and I've run into a bit of a roadblock.

I defeated Ornstein/Smough, Seath, and Bed of Chaos without much trouble. Then I tried Four Kings and was doing like, no damage to them. Eventually end up with two up and can't deal with that. Went to Gravelord Nito, same situation, do almost no damage to him and die extremely quickly.

It's like I went from NG+2 to +4 before these two fights or something. Not too sure what to do. I'm using a Gravelord Sword +5 and I'm wondering if maybe that particular weapon is weak against these two bosses. Doesn't seem to be anybody to summon either (can't remember my SL, I'll check it when I'm at home).

Any suggestions?

Weapon isn't broken?

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Weapon isn't broken?

I thought of that right away, cause it sure as hell seems broken on those two fights. However it's fine against all other enemies.

Nito is super easy. You just have to clear the adds in one part of the area and stay behind him to one side. Duck back if he does his AOE and then run immediately back in. He is arguably one of the easiest DS1 main bosses to beat, once you get the trick. The same holy weapon you probably used to get down to him is the best choice, imo.

Four Kinds is a DPS test. Load a weapon you can do lots of damage with, pop the end regen potion, and be aggressive as you possibly can. I want to say I may have used BK Halberd for that fight most often, but I am not fully sure. Its probably the biggest road block in DS1, because it specifically fucks over builds that are defensive and methodical with zero recourse. You HAVE to have a hard hitting well leveled attack to win. There just is no way around it. Looking at your build, BK HB or Zweihander might be the best way to go in that fight. Your attack power seems a bit low from what I remember having by then. Your faith and INT are two low for some of the other weapons I would normally expect by now to be workable in the fight, though. I seem to remember Queelags ripping that shit up back in the day and I think the first time I beat the game I relied on a highly leveled up magic scaling pike for that battle.

Any suggestions on good holy weapons? I've got pretty much everything (platinumed the game). Whether or not I have the stats to use a weapon is something else entirely. Pretty sure I can equip Zweihander.

Gravelord sword is so OP that I plowed through most of the game with it. I got it very early in NG and have been using it ever since.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The earliest one you can grab is Astora's Shortsword which in front of the sleeping undead dragon hanging from the cliffs if you take certain elevators down (master key unlocks the path right away). Pretty basic, fast, but a straight sword so its reach is not as amazing, and you will have to be content with smaller chunks of damage. It is the easiest of the bunch to get and if you are good at stick and move with straightswords in general, its a perfectly fine weapon.

GS of Artorias (non cursed version) comes from the Syf fight, and even gets a bonus against the Four Kings, but its split damage and the cursed version is really useful for the cursed ghost area. If you already blew through that area or willing to grind the curse items instead, GS of Artorias is one of the hardest hitting weapons in the game IF you build around it (balanced STR DEX INT and FAI), while the cursed version scales entirely off of STR and DEX as physical. I usually go with the cursed version, because slow weapons with wide swings are hard to use in the catacombs and the cursed version is a major convenience in the ghost area.

Last option is the Silver Knights Spear (the one I think I end up always using in the catacombs) which drops randomly off of silver knights in Ardo Londo (the spear version). The Spear is good because it has no faith reqs and is purely physical damage, plus its got huge reach. It wrecks shit down in the catacombs and is a solid weapon even outside of that specific area. In many of my runs I alternate this with the Moonlight Butterfly Spear, depending on what I am up against. The Ardo Londo Spear Knights are also a pretty easy and decent XP farm.

As for making your own, the initial divine ember is relatively easy to get early on. Its in the Divine Root Basin, just past the Moonlight Butterfly. That one will take you to +5 which is plenty for the Giants Tomb area. The second is a bitch, guarded by six of those fucking Giant Skeletons that make ER mobs look timid with their aggressiveness. If you go this route, take a weapon you like with decent damage output (Zweilhander is a favorite of mine for this) and slap it on there. I would not bother smithing up a standard weapon to use as a quick poker weapon in the Tomb, itself, as everything down there is rapey fast and hard hitting. Just get the Spear or Astorias for that job.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The earliest one you can grab is Astora's Shortsword which in front of the sleeping undead dragon hanging from the cliffs if you take certain elevators down (master key unlocks the path right away). Pretty basic, fast, but a straight sword so its reach is not as amazing, and you will have to be content with smaller chunks of damage. It is the easiest of the bunch to get and if you are good at stick and move with straightswords in general, its a perfectly fine weapon.

GS of Artorias (non cursed version) comes from the Syf fight, and even gets a bonus against the Four Kings, but its split damage and the cursed version is really useful for the cursed ghost area. If you already blew through that area or willing to grind the curse items instead, GS of Artorias is one of the hardest hitting weapons in the game IF you build around it (balanced STR DEX INT and FAI), while the cursed version scales entirely off of STR and DEX as physical. I usually go with the cursed version, because slow weapons with wide swings are hard to use in the catacombs and the cursed version is a major convenience in the ghost area.

Last option is the Silver Knights Spear (the one I think I end up always using in the catacombs) which drops randomly off of silver knights in Ardo Londo (the spear version). The Spear is good because it has no faith reqs and is purely physical damage, plus its got huge reach. It wrecks shit down in the catacombs and is a solid weapon even outside of that specific area. In many of my runs I alternate this with the Moonlight Butterfly Spear, depending on what I am up against. The Ardo Londo Spear Knights are also a pretty easy and decent XP farm.

As for making your own, the initial divine ember is relatively easy to get early on. Its in the Divine Root Basin, just past the Moonlight Butterfly. That one will take you to +5 which is plenty for the Giants Tomb area. The second is a bitch, guarded by six of those fucking Giant Skeletons that make ER mobs look timid with their aggressiveness. If you go this route, take a weapon you like with decent damage output (Zweilhander is a favorite of mine for this) and slap it on there. I would not bother smithing up a standard weapon to use as a quick poker weapon in the Tomb, itself, as everything down there is rapey fast and hard hitting. Just get the Spear or Astorias for that job.

Thinking I'll put together a Holy Zweihander (as maxed out as I can get it with titanite) and see how that goes versus these last few bosses.

My main issue with Nito was that I kept trying to bumrush the boss and burn him down, ignoring adds, because that's what worked for me in the past. In this case I'll need to focus on the adds. A big weapon will help a lot.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you move him to a certain part of the room, you only have to kill like 3-4 adds and can pretty much keep him there. At that point its just being on his hip, chipping away, and backing out whenever he does his easily telegraphed AE. After the adds, I almost never get hit in that fight. He might res one or two occasionally in the fight if he gets too far out of position, but thats rare. Big weapon helps, for sure, but not strictly necessary. You just need to be able to down the couple of adds where you fight him fast so you can get on his hip and avoid all of his bullshit. And don't go to sleep once he is down, because the remaining adds are still around down there and have to be cleared out.

Heian

Molten Core Raider
For Nito I usually just enchant the mace from firelink shrine with white. The adds won't respawn when killed with holy or white enchant.

1 level of enchant is enough if I recall property.

The mace is great since you can hammer thems when they are reforming.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
What I've found to be the absolute best for Nito AND 4 Kings is

Git Gud Faggot

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Large Divine Ember / +10 is max for a Holy Zweihander right?

Went and got it forged up to +5, missing the LDE so when I get back to this I'll get that and forge it up the rest of the way.

Only problem is that Holy scales off of Faith quite a bit and I've got 10 Faith. So I might need to grind out 20 levels after all to power this thing up. TBH I like this weapon a lot more than the Gravelord Sword anyway (had plenty of time to get sick of it). Hopefully this is good against 4K and Gwyn as well since I'll probably roll over Nito now.

This is probably the last run of Souls 1 I'm doing for a very long time (unless a PS5 Bluepoint remake type thing happens) so at least I'm not in a hurry to be done.

Edit: Got Divine Zweihander +10. This is really good (and more powerful than the Gravelord sword now that it's forged up). Moveset takes some getting used to but I like it. Crazy how strong it is even at 10 Faith. Every point in Faith is like 5 attack power, too. Grinded out 3 points of Faith and that was enough grinding for me.

Beat Nito super-easily after that, took out all the adds and just burned him down. Four Kings still totally sucks, was able to get the overall life down to about 60% where before it was like 90% so it seems a lot more doable now.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
After a few more fails on Four Kings, I went back and did all the stuff I skipped in the game (I skipped a LOT of NG++ when going for the plat).

This got me a ton of levels. Put it all into Faith and the Zweihander is doing a lot more damage, was able to get Four Kings down to about 25% a couple times before succumbing to the 3rd and 4th attacking together. I can't believe how much harder than the rest if the game this fight is on NG++ as a slower melee build. I'll get it soon though, just need to avoid those grab attacks that eat up time.

Last thing I did in the "clear everything else" process was fight Gaping Dragon. Never thought much of that boss before, usually rolled it late in the game like Darkbeast Paarl. This time around it was a truly epic battle. I barely survived, my weapon broke from his acid attack, then my backup weapon broke, then I had to scramble to find any weapon at all to take off his last 10% with while hiding from the overhead mage that I forgot to take out. One of the best fights I've ever had in this game.

Edit: Got Four Kings, then quickly got Gwyn after that, NG++ defeated! Final battle was pretty easy once I started parrying. Usually just roll through everything on that fight. Turns out the parry window is gigantic.

Last edited:

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Gwyn is the first fight they really wanted you to parry to win, so they made the window for doing so massive. I think the last time I beat him on any kind of NG cycle I just armored up and fat tanked him, letting that sorceress chick be the DPS.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've never been a parry player but I put in the effort the last ds game I played.

It really trivialized the Gwyn fight 😳

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I've never been a parry player but I put in the effort the last ds game I played.

Pretty sure thats the intended way to beat him. Thats how I always do.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, once I started using parry, Gwyn went from being the hardest boss in NG / NG+ to being one of the easiest in NG++.

Four Kings, however, was WAY harder in NG++ than the other two. I died more to Four Kings than the rest of the bosses combined.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
if anyone is super into this series or has a friend they are making a comprehensive mythos encyclopedia kind of book

This looks like something I'd be interested in:

Edit: Link doesn't seem to be working right now, it's the "You Died" book from the same publisher.

Price is a little steep (probably over a hundred when factoring in currency conversion and shipping from the EU), especially when I already spent hundreds of dollars on books and memorabilia this month. I'm gonna put it on my list to get at some point though.

20220716_010407.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'm playing ds2 for the first time and wow... It's def interesting.

More ds1 feel in combat compared to ds3. Far almost feels like a completely different game.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm playing ds2 for the first time and wow... It's def interesting.

More ds1 feel in combat compared to ds3. Far almost feels like a completely different game.

DS2 is really cool, great atmosphere, best hub area in the series. A lot of the zones in that game feel legit kind of mystical if that makes sense.

Also the lore of the game is really interesting with the queen screwing the kingdom over, the war with the giants, etc.

Right now after replaying both of them this year, I like DS2 more than DS1 for the first time ever. It's just much more polished. For years I preferred DS1 by a mile though, so YMMV.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users