Darkest Dungeon

Crimson

Peasant
hm yeah, the micromanagement might end up being a little too much for you, but there are definitely games out there that are more annoying in that regard. if it is too much for you, it'd be just barely past the line, i think. close tho.

Well... I could handle the Fire Emblem games on 3DS, which also had huge rosters and a pretty detailed story with lots of character moments; and I don't think DD has that, and then replaces it with the personality quirks, so you're probably right.

It is worth giving it a shot, at least. So perhaps someday. Definitely not right now, though, but I'll keep it open.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well... I could handle the Fire Emblem games on 3DS, which also had huge rosters and a pretty detailed story with lots of character moments; and I don't think DD has that, and then replaces it with the personality quirks, so you're probably right.

It is worth giving it a shot, at least. So perhaps someday. Definitely not right now, though, but I'll keep it open.

it goes on sale on digital platforms pretty often. i got my copy from Humble for like $7. SO worth it at that price. you're thinking Switch tho? no idea how much it costs on there, probably considerably more.

Crimson

Peasant
it goes on sale on digital platforms pretty often. i got my copy from Humble for like $7. SO worth it at that price. you're thinking Switch tho? no idea how much it costs on there, probably considerably more.

Especially since I'm unsure, I definitely won't do digital. I prefer physical copies, anyway, and that way I can resell it if it turns out I don't like it. Always a good thing.

I don't mind price. They decrease everyday and it'll probably be pretty reasonable by the time I get around to it anyway.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Biggest issue with this game is the utter tedium of the last part of the game, where you basically have just the Darkest Dungeon (and I guess the blood court now) to clear out. It is such a fuck you grind to get through all of the DD runs and claw through the court that I gave up, despite my groups cutting through it without casualties or major incidents. Up to that point, the game is consistently challenging and rewards tactical play against the various bosses (and their leveled up versions) and the spelunking grind is fun.

Other issue is that there are four classes that are god tier (Shield Bitches, Berserker Bitches, Graverobber, Jester), three you need to nearly always have around (at least one) in every group (Cleric, Musketeer/Arby, Occultist) for healing and CC, and a bunch of "I hamper myself if I take these guys" classes. Seriously, my Cleric, Jester, and 2 Shield Bitch group just bodied everything in the game on my last playthrough. Reason is that those classes all do their function in any position and can drop DOTs in addition to damage, while the three heal bots all bring some form of utility that makes the others better (Stun for Cleric, Mark for Muskie, Pulls for Occultist) at raping things. They can also hit any position in an enemy party, which is the major thing holding back a lot of classes that would otherwise be standouts (Crusader, Bounty Hunter, Abomb) but turn to shit the second someone gets moved around (or the critical target is buried in the back). I get that some classes are supposed to stink (Antiquarian), but for all their tweaking the class balance is terrible. It makes the grind problem even worse, because by the time you get to the point of hitting the final dungeon and countess, you don't want to fuck around with fun combos anymore and just want to win and get it over with.

That aside, the first 90% of this game is some of the best turn based RPG party management game I have played. Its worth the purchase for that part alone, even if you never beat it.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Biggest issue with this game is the utter tedium of the last part of the game, where you basically have just the Darkest Dungeon (and I guess the blood court now) to clear out. It is such a fuck you grind to get through all of the DD runs and claw through the court that I gave up, despite my groups cutting through it without casualties or major incidents. Up to that point, the game is consistently challenging and rewards tactical play against the various bosses (and their leveled up versions) and the spelunking grind is fun.

Other issue is that there are four classes that are god tier (Shield Bitches, Berserker Bitches, Graverobber, Jester), three you need to nearly always have around (at least one) in every group (Cleric, Musketeer/Arby, Occultist) for healing and CC, and a bunch of "I hamper myself if I take these guys" classes. Seriously, my Cleric, Jester, and 2 Shield Bitch group just bodied everything in the game on my last playthrough. Reason is that those classes all do their function in any position and can drop DOTs in addition to damage, while the three heal bots all bring some form of utility that makes the others better (Stun for Cleric, Mark for Muskie, Pulls for Occultist) at raping things. They can also hit any position in an enemy party, which is the major thing holding back a lot of classes that would otherwise be standouts (Crusader, Bounty Hunter, Abomb) but turn to shit the second someone gets moved around (or the critical target is buried in the back). I get that some classes are supposed to stink (Antiquarian), but for all their tweaking the class balance is terrible. It makes the grind problem even worse, because by the time you get to the point of hitting the final dungeon and countess, you don't want to fuck around with fun combos anymore and just want to win and get it over with.

That aside, the first 90% of this game is some of the best turn based RPG party management game I have played. Its worth the purchase for that part alone, even if you never beat it.

Finally got started on this. Dizzying amount of abilities I'm lost on week 4 trying to choose what's most effective. Zerker girls been smashing, cleric pretty good but seems to miss ranged stuff a lot. I can see where like graverobber is very hamstrung if not in ideal position. Joker seems a bit better at it but I'm leery of the self inflicted stress from finale? Havn't tried the man at arms yet?

Torn between upgrading skills and gear asap vs trying to keep stress/negative quirks down in upgraded support buildings. Just feels very chaotic progression.

Sludig

Wow, ,massive faggot spiders? Go into a lv 1 noob dungeon with my lv 1 guys. Get suprised, cleric in front pretty much is instant gibbed with blight, stun, web, etc. Gets death doored and the blight tick kills her. Meanwhile many of my guys have taken hits for 10dmg at deaths door and been fine...... pretty severe RNG.

Yes: Very triggered. Getting jacked is fine if I had at least a chance to do something to prevent/avoid. Not like I walked in on the darkest dungeon itself at lv 1/2.

Last edited:
  • 1Triggered
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Sludig Sludig
OK so first weeks so be upgrading caravan as much as you can because you are going to start the meat grinder to get cash so you can upgrade the rest, if your crew survives that is all bonus. Once they hit level 3 then start to care about them if you want, week 14 or so you can start actively managing stress of the guys you like. Once everything is fully or close to fully upgraded then you can work on quick progression with a badass crew. The issue some have with this game is to have a good time you have to let go of the bad stuff that happens and there is a lot of it. Many years of blood bowl goblin team have prepared me for the BS you will encounter :)

Also every class is effective but not every skill, Jester in rear for the speed boost and stress reduction, can also kit out the crusader to reduce stress. Focus on the roles more than the class as you learn. Typically You want two dmg dealers, one healer, one crowd control.

Some good info here.

Last edited:

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Yes, remember, this is not your typical RPG. In essence, you characters are a resource and you are not meant to get attached to them. Like Hatorade said, later on you can really focus on a couple of power groups and hope for them marginally, but you will still lose them here or there by times. And at the beginning, throw them at dungeon runs for loot and don't waste your time fixing them afterwards - send them packing and recruit more suckers......erm dungeoneers!

And Phazael's post is great from start to finish. The end grind on this game is stupid, and the Deadliest Dungoen is basically a meat grinder for your level 6 groups - you do it only to "complete" the game, because it is a fight of pure attrition. There ain't no bringing home full groups.

Crimson Court is terribad. I appreciated the design and effort but it changes the paradigm of the game so much, and is so insipid in everything you do, that it is a poor distraction instead of an addition to the game. I disable it at all times now - the cycle of infection, cure, infection, cure, is annoying, and blood is just another resource you have to manage.

Sludig

Right now the biggest thing throwing me off feels like, the end of dungeon traits. Like congrats, lose a good buff for a shitty one and also here's a pretty bag negative. Even trying to think of them as expendable, it still seems rough stacking up penalties so fast you can't begin to keep up w/ them in the sanitorium it seems like.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Right now the biggest thing throwing me off feels like, the end of dungeon traits. Like congrats, lose a good buff for a shitty one and also here's a pretty bag negative. Even trying to think of them as expendable, it still seems rough stacking up penalties so fast you can't begin to keep up w/ them in the sanitorium it seems like.

You don't have to click the mask thing to apply new quirks, you can just skip that if your guys have a decent setup and you don't want to change it.

Towards the end game you'll basically be running a super-soldier program that consists of throwing chaff in to the meatgrinder to fuel your sanitarium to properly lock in beneficial quirks and purge bad ones from your A-listers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow, ,massive faggot spiders? Go into a lv 1 noob dungeon with my lv 1 guys. Get suprised, cleric in front pretty much is instant gibbed with blight, stun, web, etc. Gets death doored and the blight tick kills her. Meanwhile many of my guys have taken hits for 10dmg at deaths door and been fine...... pretty severe RNG.

Yes: Very triggered. Getting jacked is fine if I had at least a chance to do something to prevent/avoid. Not like I walked in on the darkest dungeon itself at lv 1/2.

You can turn enemy crits into just max hit rolls only in the advanced options. There are a bunch of other "easy mode please" toggles in there as well.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
This game is purely about minimizing the bad and not maximizing good. Prior to understanding every in and out of the game, you need to accept that you’ll never really feel powerful or completely in control. The game is supposed to beat you down. Your heroes will die. You’ll sludge through dungeons and barely make it, but the point is you will make it more consistently once you get a good feel for all the various game mechanics.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This game is purely about minimizing the bad and not maximizing good. Prior to understanding every in and out of the game, you need to accept that you’ll never really feel powerful or completely in control. The game is supposed to beat you down. Your heroes will die. You’ll sludge through dungeons and barely make it, but the point is you will make it more consistently once you get a good feel for all the various game mechanics.

And this isn't fun to me. I still play, because of the mechanics, but you nailed it. I want to feel some sort of advancement on SOME characters. The advancement just seems like I am scraping by for the inevitable death. I don't want to scrape by no matter how well I play, or rolls go my way.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
And this isn't fun to me. I still play, because of the mechanics, but you nailed it. I want to feel some sort of advancement on SOME characters. The advancement just seems like I am scraping by for the inevitable death. I don't want to scrape by no matter how well I play, or rolls go my way.
Play on the easy difficulty if you're not having fun. Lets you take lvl 4 heroes into lvl 2 dungeons and lvl 6 into lvl 4. And like Quineloe said, there's options you change to make it even easier like crits, no corpses, etc.

Sludig

You don't have to click the mask thing to apply new quirks, you can just skip that if your guys have a decent setup and you don't want to change it.

Towards the end game you'll basically be running a super-soldier program that consists of throwing chaff in to the meatgrinder to fuel your sanitarium to properly lock in beneficial quirks and purge bad ones from your A-listers.
Can you unlock a locked skill? I did lock one in I thought would be clutch, but now not so sure.

Just did the 2nd ruins boss, he was kinda rough with my setup. I had a lv 0 marksman (sure seemed to hit for shit even w/ the target marked), cleric, bounty hunter, crusader. Crusader wasted forever hacking at pews while the bounty was marking then slicing after the first pew down. Cleric chain healing mostly and marksman just blasting after smokescreen resisted twice.

Sludig

You can turn enemy crits into just max hit rolls only in the advanced options. There are a bunch of other "easy mode please" toggles in there as well.
Thanks I missed them, though I don't think I'll use, playing on radiant is as much handicap as I'll take. Worst thing on the occasion I mention it wasn't even a crit I dont think it was just 4 spiders all went first, focused her and stun/blighted. I just struggle with being too sacrificial. I've wasted lots of resources/energy in other games/RTS's conserving troops as much as possible. Probably why I loved Company of heroes where that's the name of the game.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
building a perfect Darkest Dungeon character with the proper traits locked in (such as Unyielding, Clotter or Hard Noggin) is some sort of advancement. Your characters also gain significant hp / dmg / crit values as they gain levels and the level appropriate equipment. On red dungeons you deal with mobs that are considerably stronger than on green dungeons.

The thing that is sadly almost unique about Darkest Dungeon is that running a green dungeon with a bunch of Seekers is actually easier than running a red dungeon with fully equipped Champions. Compare this to another game that is basically the same gameplay but 3D instead of the 1D of Darkest Dungeon - XCOM. In XCOM you start with a squad of 4 guys, and the first real mission when all you have are assault rifles, 4 grenades and no armor are much, much harder than the last few missions of the game where you have a squad of 6, plasma death rays and 20 explosives and 30 hp on your tough characters. The game actually gets easier, because your character progression completely outpaces the strength increase of your enemies. Once you have that sixth squad member and the plasma rifles, the game becomes face rolling dumb. I once even ran a squad of 6 of those SHIV and they annihilated the entire mission without taking a hit. And it's far from the only game where it is like that.

Darkest Dungeon doesn't do that. But it is not unfairly difficult. People win on max difficulty, so if you know what you're doing, winning on Radiant with a few difficulty reduction options in the menu, the game is easy and predictable.