Darkest Dungeon

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The "problem" here is that you get all the skills at level 0 and you don't improve except in stats, while in EQ you unlock more abilities as you progress.

However I am very happy about every game that gets harder instead of easier, because I am sick and tired of games being only about the first 20-30%. Too many offenders here where the game becomes a huge bore in the late game, Civ, Xcom etc...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have about 80 hours in this game and I'm absolutely loving it. Last few days I started doing champion dungeons and bosses, and like you guys said, the jump from veteran to champion will really test you. I had to learn to approach dungeons in a totally different ways in order to survive and that's what I enjoy about the game.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
LOL

fgt2mcm.png

Nabassu

Lord Nagafen Raider

New shieldbreaker hero out, plus some updates to monsters and skills to support the new stealth mechanic.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
New expansion coming out on tuesday (19th)

Features:
  • New region: The Farmstead!
  • Endless Quest: Survive as long as you can while getting lost in time and space, confronted by unending waves of enemies new and old, pushing ever closer to the crash site of the Comet.
  • Twisted new trinkets, available for purchase from the Jeweler. Put your gold away—he trades only in Comet Shards!
  • All-New Enemy Faction: The Miller and his loyal workmen have become eerie husks of their former selves.
  • 3 new bosses - The Miller, The Thing From the Stars, and the Comet itself!
  • New Curios help keep your party in fighting shape as you face the enless hordes!
  • Expand your Hamlet with 4 new District buildings and reap their benefits.
  • New Quirks, with unique and powerful effects!
  • Our biggest soundtrack addition yet from Stuart Chatwood

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
From what I have read, this is the end of development for Darkest Dungeon. Red Hook is now moving on to a new game.

Always nice to see a game that is a Kickstarter success.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ugh, guess it's time to reinstall and lose another 50 hours of my life.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The Crimson Court didn't improve the base game for me, in fact in a recent replay I didn't enable it and the game felt much more smooth.

Smooth like stepping barefoot into a muddy pile with broken glass, ebola and politicians, but still smooth in the way the game originally was.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck. I don’t know if I can do more of this game even though the urge is there. I put in enough time to beat it on nightmare+torchless but it’s been so long since I’ve played it feels like I’d almost have to relearn it all again. So tempting though!

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
That's the reskin of the Arbalest that the Kickstarter backers got. But again, since this is the last push they are giving the game, they are giving it away for free.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The "stalling" mechanical shit they added is way too hamfisted and triggers fucking constantly depending on your party composition. Down to 2 enemies remaining and want to get abomination back to human to cut stress buildup while you finish the fight? OOPS TRANSFORM IS A "STALL" SKILL NOW, BETTER TRIGGER ADDITIONAL ENEMIES. Almost every skill for a lot of the supporting characters triggers it now, and it starts building with 2 enemies left instead of 1, so you have to constantly be fucking paranoid about it the minute you thin the enemy ranks left you heal or buff one too many times and get fucked.

They also almost universally nerfed every class by some amount and increased all the base crit chances, making the entire game just that much more random. I think they've finally killed this off for me with their constant hand-wringing over "balance" in a single player game.

Crimson

Peasant
I keep wrestling with the notion to get this game or not. I love dark settings and the innovative gameplay/character mechanics seem great, but it looks tedious at the same time.
I wish the Eshop had a demo or something to really try it.

The saving grace is at least it has a physical copy, meaning, I could theoretically buy it and then resell it IF I wound up not enjoying it. But I still don't want to drop that just to essentially rent it out to see. For Switch, obviously. I'd never download it digitally from anywhere, and ^ issues are a big reason for that.
We'll see. I've been convinced to buy weirder games before.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I keep wrestling with the notion to get this game or not. I love dark settings and the innovative gameplay/character mechanics seem great, but it looks tedious at the same time.
I wish the Eshop had a demo or something to really try it.

The saving grace is at least it has a physical copy, meaning, I could theoretically buy it and then resell it IF I wound up not enjoying it. But I still don't want to drop that just to essentially rent it out to see. For Switch, obviously. I'd never download it digitally from anywhere, and ^ issues are a big reason for that.
We'll see. I've been convinced to buy weirder games before.

it's a pretty great game. difficult, you're going to die a lot your first few tries. describing the gameplay kind of does make it sound tedious, but it's pretty immersive. i personally don't find it tedious.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I very much enjoyed the game but I did tap out at the end and watched the end cinematic on YouTube. The endgame stuffed me in the garbage can where I belonged and I've made peace with that. I'll give it another attempt with the DLC somewhere down the line.

Crimson

Peasant
it's a pretty great game. difficult, you're going to die a lot your first few tries. describing the gameplay kind of does make it sound tedious, but it's pretty immersive. i personally don't find it tedious.

I'm a very grind addicted kind of player, so what others find tedious, I find fun. And I don't mind difficulty at all; it makes mastering it that much more enjoyable. So none of that bothers me, and actually does the total opposite of it.

I suppose what I think might be tedious is maybe losing characters, having to start all over, or worse, keeping track of a gargantuan roster (and since everyone has their own little personality quirks and other heavy details like that), I feel like I could become confused or lost in keeping track of all that easily.
That's a big flaw of mine personally; I generally don't do more than 3 serious tasks in any area (IE, play 3 games, read 3 books, watch 3 shows, etc, sometimes even one of each fills my quota which is overall 3) simply because I fear forgetting so many details like that.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm a very grind addicted kind of player, so what others find tedious, I find fun. And I don't mind difficulty at all; it makes mastering it that much more enjoyable. So none of that bothers me, and actually does the total opposite of it.

I suppose what I think might be tedious is maybe losing characters, having to start all over, or worse, keeping track of a gargantuan roster (and since everyone has their own little personality quirks and other heavy details like that), I feel like I could become confused or lost in keeping track of all that easily.
That's a big flaw of mine personally; I generally don't do more than 3 serious tasks in any area (IE, play 3 games, read 3 books, watch 3 shows, etc, sometimes even one of each fills my quota which is overall 3) simply because I fear forgetting so many details like that.

hm yeah, the micromanagement might end up being a little too much for you, but there are definitely games out there that are more annoying in that regard. if it is too much for you, it'd be just barely past the line, i think. close tho.

• 1Like