Darkfall Unholy Wars

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Since when does a NDA mean anything
Well depends on the NDA, the game and the advancement of the developpement as well as how "secret" the beta is. For this I don't think it's gonna mean shit unless the mods here want to enforce strict NDA rules. I know pretty much no one broke Alpha and similar NDAs on FoH though, just the beta weekend previews shit that everyone got access to from preordering. For DFO it's definitely the later however so don't think it'll be an issue to break it, and if they have a shred of decency they'll drop the NDA themselves as soon as they get the servers rolling and stable enough.

Oh and the thingie says up since like friday, servers aren't really up though. At least I haven't found a way to connect after I'm done patching.

The fact that they decide they need to have a NDA on the beta when they were "so close" to release this week seems a bit strange...
Is this confirmed? Its more than strange. You are waiting to call off the launch of the game on the same day it was supposed to launch, then go into beta but wait for it... You guys cant talk about the state of the game.

I played Darkfall beta for 2 months then maybe 2 months after that and unsubbed. Some of the stuff in the game felt ridiculously unpolished, like the magical bush that gave you every herb in the game (or alot of them). Like Blueberries, carrots (i think) and all other sorts of herbs... from the same bush you had to stand in front to farm it.

Maybe someone who followed the game for longer than me can correct my assumption:

Basically Darkfall was 2-3 years of paid beta, then Tasos announces hes gonna wipe everybody's "live" characters. His documented lawyer speak makes me wonder if he knew this was the plan from the get-go.

I cant recall every instance but lots of things bugged me about the dishonesty of Aventurine/Tasos. One example: Putting a NDA on the 2009 beta and letting that cartoonist reviewer write an article called "Welcome to ninja crafting" explaining how you could sneak into a town and use the workbench to craft. The problem was that as soon as you entered the town, a big WOO WOO WOO alarm ran in the shape of a town wide message letting you know somebody had entered the town. Welcome to ninja crafting indeed. Nobody could correct this without breaking the NDA.

Dashivax

N00b
Maybe someone who followed the game for longer than me can correct my assumption:
Gladly, you are wrong.

At least for me, the game wasn't about harvesting bushes. It was about building a place to live in a persistent world where I can kill anyone, anywhere at any time. It was about running into an enemy city of 200 people and dropping some nukes on the bank, then "running" out of the city into my clan's waiting ambush in the wilderness. It was about dropping a ship in the water, crewed by 20, and shooting cannons at coastal city's walls to piss the inhabitants off enough to get them out in the water to fight us. It was about the adrenaline rush of fighting with an hour or two worth of mob loot on you when some guy just crested that hill nearby and wants what's yours.

Playing Darkfall created memories for me that no other game can even come close to.

Gladly, you are wrong.

At least for me, the game wasn't about harvesting bushes. It was about building a place to live in a persistent world where I can kill anyone, anywhere at any time. It was about running into an enemy city of 200 people and dropping some nukes on the bank, then "running" out of the city into my clan's waiting ambush in the wilderness. It was about dropping a ship in the water, crewed by 20, and shooting cannons at coastal city's walls to piss the inhabitants off enough to get them out in the water to fight us. It was about the adrenaline rush of fighting with an hour or two worth of mob loot on you when some guy just crested that hill nearby and wants what's yours.

Playing Darkfall created memories for me that no other game can even come close to.
Of course it was about that too, but that wasnt my assumption.

My assumption was that Darfall 1.0 was basically a paid beta, so the devs could get some income flow while they prepared for the real launch. With "expansions" that looked more like small content updates (which was slim at launch) and bug fixes.

The bush example was to show how the game was in an alpha/beta state in parts of the game when it was first launched in 2009

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Yeah Dashivax point wasn't really relevant to the point flower made.

Dashivax

N00b
The bush example was to show how the game was in an alpha/beta state in parts of the game when it was first launched in 2009
I guess my priorities for playing a game are different. I was able to do all of those things I listed because there weren't bugs involved when doing those activities.

Harvesting bushes doesn't impact gameplay at all. The actual important things worked just fine (except the UI of course.)

Marple_sl

shitlord
Yes, if there isn't a NDA I really would like to hear about the game. Right now I'm involved once again in EvE but I miss cutting people with a 2 hander.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Taos posted.. Some bug or something holding the beta up but sounds like today regardless.

Crizack_sl

shitlord
Hi,

A quick update on status: We're basically chasing bugs before we open up the beta. One major concern and the reason we haven't yet, is the serious bug I mentioned in the status update yesterday which we thought was solved but was reported again by two testers this morning as still active. We have to assume it's still there, as we haven't been able to reproduce it.

To simply describe the bug in question: It's a persistence bug: some players, sometimes, will lose all their stuff.

As I said, we haven't been able reproduce it so we need a few more hours to go after it. If we can't find it, we'll launch with it and keep looking for it. We may have to wipe at certain intervals.

Looks like we'll have the beta forum up as well. There are several known issues we'll start posting in the beta forum as soon as it's up.

We'll keep you updated on our progress. Thanks for the patience.

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/sho...71#post5692471

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12...ot-eating-bug/

Darkfall delays beta due to loot-eating bug

by Justin Olivetti on Dec 17th 2012 4:00PM

When you've repeatedly delayed the launch of the new version of the game, what's there left to do? You know you shouldn't have asked that because now you made the Darkfall beta go back in hiding. It was just waiting for someone foolish enough to ask that question.

While Darkfall Unholy Wars' beta was scheduled to begin today, Aventurine decided to hold back on starting it for the time being. What's the hold-up? According to Producer Tasos Flambouras, a nasty bug's floating around that can, well, have an adverse affect on gameplay: "To simply describe the bug in question: It's a persistence bug. Some players, sometimes, will lose all their stuff."

The team is attempting to reproduce and eliminate the bug but said that it will go ahead with the beta after a "few hours" whether or not it's found.
Source: Darkfall forum

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
We're putting the build together right now. We're giving up on replicating the bug we were talking about, we gave it our best shot but we haven't been able to so far so we'll launch with it and deal with it later.

Sorry this has taken so long, we had been working on launching this early for a change, but last minute things always pop up. A safe ETA is around 2 hours, but the effort is for sooner. Apologies to the European players for the late hour.

Thanks for hanging in there

about half hour ago....been watching White Collar so lost track of time

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have been updated for a while now....the game should be up soonish!! should be fun

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Depends on whether or not 15-30$ is worth a lot to you. I bought it for $15 bucks because I think it's gonna be funny, and it's worth an hour or two of time to play with.