Darkfall Unholy Wars

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Wow. I'm a little disappointed they're moving away from an activity-based progression, but it's easy to appreciate why it's being done. Macroing is a fucking scourge... huge bummer when those considerations dictate design. I guess I'll just check back when the new patch drops.

How do safe zones work right now? Kicked out at a certain skill level?
Right now you are capped on how much skill you can gain in a safe zone, so like you are capped at like 25 fire magic or whatever etc etc. That will go out the window I assume when they move all that progression to prowess. Who knows what it will be replaced with.

I think this new progression will be more activity based actually, you will actually want to go out and kill mobs and harvest rather than find a mob who you can bug out and hit for 3 hours without killing to skill up your stats.

The old system just never even kinda worked, it was awful because it was always caught between being so fast it doesnt keep people playing and progressing and so slow that the people willing to cheat had a massive advantage because they reached the finish line faster.

Yeah, I definitely understand the problems with the previous system. It just feels more elegant to get better at the stuff you practice. The new system will encourage people to go find the most efficient mob to grind prowess from safely and funnel their points into whatever they want to level up. Of course efficiency was always a concern with the old system too, but I found the choices to be a bit more diverse. You'd take into account mob weakness to the school you were grinding, treasure pools and rotation of camps for reagents, and various other factors. The new style will reduce many decisions to xp/hour and gold/hour and some differences depending on your class/spec. Then again, the old system didn't really end up working out that way due to macroing. I get why a new system is being implemented.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So the info on salvaging and prowess is out, actually better than I had hoped for.

Prowess is for all skills and stats other than crafting, it is semi split between the group you are in. It has some diminishing returns, which is HUGE, because they desperately needed to make a system that let you get one role up fast so you could be competitive and then let you spend a long time grinding out to finish the other roles so you could be ninja utility master guy who can switch at a few minutes notice to fit the role thats needed.

Salvaging is in, also a huge deal, it will let you salvage player made armor and also mob dropped 'broken armor' (unequipable junk loot). This is kinda read between the lines on my part but it sounds like they finally wised up and removed equipable armor from the mob loot tables, anyone who played the original knows how big a problem it was that mob drops cut so much into the demand for crafted armor. Salvaging will also require that you be able to craft an item to salvage it. Salvaging sounds like it may only be really profitable for crafters with a high salvage skill who can buy up surplus/junk armor in bulk and refine it, but we will see how it actually plays out. I dont think it would be a bad thing if that were the case.

Patch is coming in today so won't be long til we get to test, no primalist still. I really hope they manage to get primalist and the auction house and maybe the new player models in before release. And still wish they would revamp the safe zone system but doubt that wil happen.

Game would be perfect if they had a single block of 12~ tiles in one area as safe and then single one tile safe chaos city somewhere else on the map and then dis-allowed reds from entering the big 20 tile bluebie area cities without getting zapped by the existing towers, but only if they made it so you only turn red for killing people in the 'low-sec' area which would be like tiles within X distance of the bluebie zone. Add local banking and auction houses in the chaos safe zone and bluebie safe zone and you have a great game!

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So after a few days really testing and playing alot, the new systems both are pretty game changing. First time Darkfall has ever had a progression system worth writing home about. Its actually really really good, like I wish more mmos would steal the idea good.

I dunno if I recommend buying the game yet because I still don't think they have made the game bluebie friendly enough to last more than a span of months but if you already have a beta acct definitely log in and check it out, its worth a few hours of time for sure.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Pre-ordering get you into beta, or have to have had a previous account? This seems like the only MMO worth a damn until my previous life's sequel comes out (FFXIV).

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
preorder gets you in, its like 15 to preorder if you have an old DFO acct and that includes a free month on release so it technically makes the game free, tho they will charge you the 15 immediately. If you didnt have a DFO acct its 30 for the game, also includes a free month.

Crizack_sl

shitlord
So this just happened.... I should log on and see whats going on.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04...unch-april-16/

Any Darkfall fan can tell you that it's been quite a wild ride from the launch of the original game in 2009 through the waiting period for Unholy Wars to release. Just do a search on this site for the keywords "Darkfall" and "delay" and you'll feel their pain. But the wait is almost over as Aventurine has announced a final release date of April 16. That's 2013, folks!

Sardonics aside, we imagine the dev team wants to make sure the game is done right this time, which is the whole point of Unholy Wars in the first place. New features like salvaging, Prowess Points, the Primalist role, and Steam integration will make for a fuller experience, and fans of the game can then judge if Aventurine's claim of creating the "best PvP MMORPG experience" will hold true.

[forum link]
https://forums.darkfallonline.com/sh...43#post5955143

Flake

Golden Knight of the Realm
LOL get the fuck out. Last time I tried the beta Oceanic players still couldn't create characters on the NA servers.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I was dumb enough to buy this. I just checked my account and it says that my sub would be charged on the 18th. I cancelled and it show that instead of the 30 days you are supposed to get for free, my game time ends on he 18th. Also it's showing that the sub is USD 29.95 / 30 Days. Is this fucking right?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I was dumb enough to buy this. I just checked my account and it says that my sub would be charged on the 18th. I cancelled and it show that instead of the 30 days you are supposed to get for free, my game time ends on he 18th. Also it's showing that the sub is USD 29.95 / 30 Days. Is this fucking right?
Mine shows this:
Price: USD 14.95
Recurring charge: USD 14.95 / 30 Days

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have the same thing.. wondering if that was just the price of the game when you bought it? Mine says no renew. Let me know if you see that charge on the 18th and I'll check too.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
avoid it, beta has been an absolute mess and most the shit isnt ready still.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have the same thing.. wondering if that was just the price of the game when you bought it? Mine says no renew. Let me know if you see that charge on the 18th and I'll check too.
I put in a support ticket, not going to hold my breath. If they don't get back to me soon I'm going to alert my CC.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
k i stopped when he described one of the most hideous looking races as "super cute."

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I kind of liked the video (the sandboxiness feel of the game).

Is the game that bad?