Darksiders Genesis

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Introducing the first gunslinging Horseman of the Apocalypse: Strife!

THQ Nordic and Airship Syndicate today unveiled the first top-down action adventure in Darksiders franchise history, Darksiders Genesis. Scheduled for release on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and Google Stadia later this year, Darksiders Genesis will be playable for consumers at E3 2019 in THQ Nordic booth #823 in the South Hall.

“Darksiders Genesis kicks off a completely fresh direction for the Darksiders franchise, including a new gameplay style, the introduction of Strife – the fourth and final horseman – and so much more,” said Joe Madureira, co-creator of Darksiders and CEO of Airship Syndicate. “The team at Airship is very eager to get Darksiders Genesis into the hands of fans at next week’s E3 show in Los Angeles!”

In Darksiders Genesis, the fourth Horseman of the Apocalypse STRIFE is called upon to save humankind from certain destruction at the hands of Lucifer. True to its roots, Darksiders Genesis will feature intense combat, exploration, puzzle-solving, epic boss battles and serpent holes from heaven to hell. The game marks the first, full-scale Darksiders adventure played from the top-down perspective.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So Darksiders 1 was moderately successful as a hyper-violent Soul Reaver/Zelda type, Darksiders 2 faltered when they shoehorned in a hamfisted MMO style, and Darksiders 3 was a borderline flop as a half-assed dark souls lite. Fuck going back to our roots, lets make it an ARPG now!

Bleah.

• 3Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
what do you mean by darksiders 2 being hamfisted mmo?

Quests, sidequests, gear, and gear rarity. You could quibble over whether thats adding arpg or mmo elements, I just got more of a MMO-esque vibe.

And the reason I say hamfisted is because that stupid bullshit didn't belong in a game where you play one of the goddamn Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. War's weapons were all unique. Chaoseater, The Harvester, Mercy, the Tremor Gauntlet. But Death is constantly switching around weapons and armor to whatever new quest reward or zone drop trash he finds. At least they realized how fucking dumb that was in Darksiders 3, and while Fury's weapon went through multiple forms, it was still always Scorn.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i guess from a lore perspective that makes sense, but it was something that i liked about it. i liked the idea of having different builds (melee focus vs magic focus). i also think that was something that was pretty well received but maybe i'm misremembering.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I loved 1 as a mix of God of War fighting style with Zelda dungeons and itemization, and the setting of Heaven and Hell was perfect to me.

2 was disappointing to me because I wanted more of 1's style and instead it felt like Diablo loot and forced RPG mechanics, and the lore did NOT expand on the Heaven and Hell setting much, going instead into wild tangents.. especially confusing to me was the part where DEATH has trouble with the Dead Lords in the Dead Lands... I mean, you should be bossing those guys around.

3 felt to me much like 1, though I initially thought Fury wasn't as likable as War but she grew on me and the Seven Sins are nicely done and original.

This Darksiders Genesis isn't a sequel, it's a sidequel that takes place before 3 and THQ Nordic has said they want Darksiders 4 to be the last one and have it start right after 1 where you see the 3 other riders joining War.

I'm willing to give it a chance, it looks entertaining and Strife is a cool character from what I saw in 3. The ARPG style seen from above is also fitting for gunplay in my opinion (fits better than over the shoulder shooting).

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Death just never feels like one of the goddamn FOUR HORSEMEN. War is just this unflappable brute who isn't even intimidated by Samael. His dialogue is fantastic, I love his scenes with Uriel and the refusal he throws in the Destroyer's face at the end. The dungeons and boss fights were amazing.

Compare this to Death who spent his entire game as a fucking errand boy. Every single new area was 'collect/defeat three very samey somethings to proceed'. Death should not be collected bear asses for anyone. And yeah, War had a little bit of that but War was also depowered and dealing with someone he couldn't just thrash to get what he wanted, maybe not even if he was at full power. I remember the black throne had a few 'do X three times' but it flowed organically with the dungeon.

"I choose what once, a coward did not" vs "Moooooooooom tell Absalom to stop playing with my toys"

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
also this is one of the best ending sequences out of all the games I've ever played

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Is there a summary of the plot for the first two? It’s been nearly a decade since I played the first and never finished the second (agree with almost all of Gavs criticisms of it). Got the third from ps+ and going to start playing it soon

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there a summary of the plot for the first two? It’s been nearly a decade since I played the first and never finished the second (agree with almost all of Gavs criticisms of it). Got the third from ps+ and going to start playing it soon

Not terribly important to know before playing 3 because 2 and 3 both take place before (partially parallel to?) the events of Darksiders. War learns that the Charred Council is corrupt and framed him for the false start of Armageddon. Death sacrifices himself to restore humanity at the end of 2, but that happens simultaneously with/immediately before the end events of the first game so it's irrelevant until they set a game after that.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
There's a Darksiders Wiki to catch up on the lore of previous games, but for the most part they all take place simultaneously.

War gets imprisoned in limbo for 100 years after the events of the prologue in Darksiders 1. Darksiders 2 takes place during this imprisonment and ends right before the ending of 1. 3 also takes place during the imprisonment of War, while Earth is getting ravaged by demons and angels fighting one another and the Seven Sins running amok. Genesis will take place presumably before 1 as War is seen teaming up with Strife during gameplay.

j00t

2 was kind of a convoluted story. the gist of it is that death is the leader of the horsemen for a reason, and it's not necessarily because of his combat prowess (which is formidable). he's the leader because he makes hard choices and lives with the guilt complaint free. he also will do whatever it takes to free his brother even if they don't really get along.

2 gave a lot of information about the backstory of the horsemen, though it wasn't really in a way that people were wanting. i liked it for what it was, but going from the ending of 1 to the beginning of 2 felt like a big record scratch moment.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
With the "Blizzard style" graphics and character design on Darksiders games (in fact the artist for most of the games design also did the WoW comic books) and the setting of Heaven versus Hell and the Horsemen being Nephalem, it's fun to imagine Diablo and Darksiders taking place in the same universe.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
With the "Blizzard style" graphics and character design on Darksiders games (in fact the artist for most of the games design also did the WoW comic books) and the setting of Heaven versus Hell and the Horsemen being Nephalem, it's fun to imagine Diablo and Darksiders taking place in the same universe.
giphy.gif

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

I offer you this choice Horseman. Would you play Diablo 3 in Heaven, or Diablo 2 in Hell?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This thread made me pick up #2 to see how bad it was........

……..
….

I like it.

j00t

i don't think darksiders is blizzard style art at all. i think it's comic style art. the art director is joey mad (joe maduriera) and he's a pretty well known for his art style. it's less that he's making his art look like wow and more that wow (and lots of other people) want their art to look like his.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
i don't think darksiders is blizzard style art at all. i think it's comic style art. the art director is joey mad (joe maduriera) and he's a pretty well known for his art style. it's less that he's making his art look like wow and more that wow (and lots of other people) want their art to look like his.

Joe Mad drew several WoW loading screens and comics, hence my "Blizzard Style" comment. Doesn't really matter who inspired who, it's a similar character design with humongous shoulders and hands, small heads, huge weapons, etc... :)