Dawngate - MOBA from Waystone

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .

"Dawngate is a new MOBA, built from the ground up to look and feel familiar while offering a whole new way to experience MOBA gameplay. Dawngate empowers you to forge the champions you love for the roles you want in a competitive arena, shaped by ever-evolving, community-driven content and story."
Beta signup

Could be rather interesting but I just wonder if there is too much saturation on the market today for it to be successful? Not to mention, EA is the chosen publisher for it.

Eh , i still think Demi-God was a great step in evolving the genre too bad its net code was shit and cost them players and bad reviews. They obiviously take most of their inspiration from LoL from the regenerating buildings after they are dead now instead of just the spawners , the towers regen back as well. Still wish Demi-God was supported much better , so they could of fixed their problems right away , still play that from time to time , nothing like playing a moving castle and wrecking shit.

Grebnev_sl

shitlord
Economy nodes with workers sounds pretty cool - adds another layer of harass to the gameplay, and provides concrete rewards for holding territory.

Aesthetic looks very generic (the LOL is strong with this one). Title too - I can't believe people still choose titles as awful with this one when it can significantly (imo) affect the social impact of a game. I mean, they could have called it 'Gate[s?] of Dawn' and then the acronym would be GOD...

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Seems like they have some cool ideas which will hopefully set it apart from the DOTA/LoL clones and move the genre forward a bit. On the other hand yeah, the market is saturated in a big way, so those new ideas will have to be really solid to bring people over from LoL.

One think I'd like to see is a shift away from the control system which is a hold over from DOTA being built in an RTS engine, stuff like having to press the hotkey and then click again where you want to target to use an attack. Why not just make it like D3 or other ARPG's where you hit the hotkey and the spell will just cast wherever you're holding the mouse, it would be much more reactive, much more intuitive. I think the genre could learn a lot through looking at the combat in A-RPG's, a genre built around using a single hero to fight enemies with an isometric view, instead of hanging onto the relics of an RTS engine which wasn't designed at all with that kind of gameplay in mind.

And yeah definitely not so much a fan of the soft, cartoony graphics, but that seems to be par for the course right now.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
Eh , i still think Demi-God was a great step in evolving the genre too bad its net code was shit and cost them players and bad reviews. They obiviously take most of their inspiration from LoL from the regenerating buildings after they are dead now instead of just the spawners , the towers regen back as well. Still wish Demi-God was supported much better , so they could of fixed their problems right away , still play that from time to time , nothing like playing a moving castle and wrecking shit.
I'd probably still be playing Demigod if it had good netcode and matchmaking.

Such a fun game. I consider it one of PC gaming great tragedies that they failed so badly with the online play. No matchmaking, no reconnecting, client side hosting where the host had a 0 ping, netcode that didn't work right and had insane lag and disconnects for no reason. Such an epic failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-1DpM3sqE
Found that gameplay video on youtube. It's a full match from a time the beta was put up for a few hours early. Looks interesting.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
At first I was like "eh another lol clone" but they're trying some different stuff(even though graphically they didn't really try at all). I don't know how good it'll be however, I like the mineral mining area that you can gank and shit but the respawning tower aspect sounds fairly retarded. It'll make games longer just for the sake of making them longer. I guess yeah everyone wins so people can come back if they turtle but promoting turtling as a strategy is in my opinion backwards thinking, turtling is the boring part of the game, no one wants to watch or play a game that lasts 50mins even though it should have ended 30mins before. Sometimes you win it, sometimes it feels satisfying, but that can be done without turtling mechanics, shit happens in dota often enough. Instead you'll have the ability to extent every game for a long period of time due to turtling which will on average extend the duration of the games. On the other hand they'll probably have a surrender option like LoL does, so it really creates a shitty situation where some people will want to leave, others won't and the game will last way longer than it should.

I don't know I feel that's not the right way to go about it, faster paced shorter games is probably the best innovation you could bring to the genre. A reduced laning phase, a smaller map(but with a lot of side paths and shit for ambushes/surrounds/whatever), weaker buildings up to the base, a faster way to acquire items without returning to the base(like dota courier but even faster), teleport similar to dota, faster respawns with scaling based on time and not on hero level and so on, which would lead to much shorter game and a bigger emphasis on teamfights/ganks. I think that's where you want to take the genre if you want to see some success, not adding more mechanics to a gameplay that for the most part is already done perfectly by LoL and Dota.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't think it was possible but it seems this company has made a worse version of League of Legends. Well done.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
His insight is obviously greater than yours stfu.
Lol really? Your jimmies are rustled over me asking a legitimate question that wasn't even directed at you? That's pretty pathetic.

Anyway I am curious as to how it plays and plan to check it out this weekend. I'm a veteran dota player and have extensive playtime with dota 2 but never got involved with LoL or HoN. Hence my curiosity to the comparison.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I like the mineral mining area that you can gank and shit but the respawning tower aspect sounds fairly retarded.
I agree, I got turned off there with the respawning "Bindings". Adding mechanics that aid turtling is just retarded. It is VERY satisfying in LoL if you can actually turtle when all odds are against you (3 inhibs down, enemies with baron, your team stuck at base and somehow you score an Ace). You know you're basically sunk and have no chance in hell and when that chance actually presents itself and you seize it, it can be the most satisfying game experience ever. With respawning turrets essentially you eliminate this since it is now a game mechanic and pressure is relieved naturally rather than more and more pressure being added.

The mining areas seem fine, resource control could be interesting, kinda like objective control in LoL. Their map doesn't seem very intuitive though, the resources look as though they are at the top/bottom of the map and aren't really in any natural fight paths. LoL objectives are strewn throughout the map and help maintain a natural flow of combat. I hate when objectives are tossed off to the side and it's almost like they hinder combat more than aid it. Players want to fight around their lanes and having to peel off across the map for an objective ruins the natural flow, it becomes more of a test of who can sneak over there and cause havoc before being noticed.

The graphics are even more cartoony than LoL. I actually prefer LoL graphics over the more realistic DOTA ones but this game looks like its meant for 9yr olds.

What I really liked is how killing a "binding" makes those special units evolve. That's kinda cool, its really the only thing I wish LoL had. It would really change the game especially at the pro level. The pros would be less willing trade turrets so easily I think if it means the lane will be forever pushing. In LoL it would be unwise to give up bottom turrets so quickly as it means baron control would become difficult, or to give up top turret so soon would mean dragon control would become more difficult... as an example.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Every Dota clone is defined by it's competitive scene and I can't see EA not fucking that one up with their F2P model.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
One think I'd like to see is a shift away from the control system which is a hold over from DOTA being built in an RTS engine, stuff like having to press the hotkey and then click again where you want to target to use an attack. Why not just make it like D3 or other ARPG's where you hit the hotkey and the spell will just cast wherever you're holding the mouse, it would be much more reactive, much more intuitive.
Have you tried turning on Smart Cast in League of Legends?

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Have you tried turning on Smart Cast in League of Legends?
Actually yeah, about two hours after I posted that someone pointed out to me that this option actually existed
tongue.png
(in my defense, it's buried way down in the key binding options). My point stands though, I still think the genre suffers from the RTS holdovers and could benefit from trying to use a UI/engine/perspective better designed for the control of a single character instead of multiple units.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's also auto-cast in dota, alt Click the spell, you just suck at life evidently.

Either way my speculation is from just watching and listening to them describe it. Looks like dogshit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Actually yeah, about two hours after I posted that someone pointed out to me that this option actually existed
tongue.png
(in my defense, it's buried way down in the key binding options). My point stands though, I still think the genre suffers from the RTS holdovers and could benefit from trying to use a UI/engine/perspective better designed for the control of a single character instead of multiple units.
Might be true in LoL but Dota still uses multiple units for a lot of stuff, including heroes that are entirely designed around the concept of controlling multiple units, for example Meepo's ultimate creates a 2nd Meepo and each additional point create one more Meepo, up to 5 total when using an aghanim, while beastmaster creates a slowing quillboar and a flying hawk for vision and they're both inherent advantages to the hero. There's even items creating additional units like Manta Style which creates 2 illusions of your hero or Necronomicon which creates 2 demonic units, including one with an active ability to mana burn a given target.

Both games have the option to remove the additional click and play with a direct targetting if you want though.