DayZ, Arma2, Arma3

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Breaking Point modfor Arma3 has been getting daily patches and is MUCH more stable than DZSA. BP has been keeping my attention for weeks now. It's still in Alpha, but it feels like a solid beta.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
just got it all downloaded and such, any bros online?

annnnd errors, am i not supposed to start it, by clicking dayz mod in my steam games?

addon 'dayz_anim' requires addon 'ca_dubbing_counterattack'

then bad serial number given in setup, whatever that means.

hmmm i didnt install arma 2, i only installed operation arrowhead do i need to install both?

Cybsled

I believe you need both. Also, how are you launching it? Are you using Dayz Commander or Play Withsix? Or just trying manual install?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
i was launching it by right clicking the steam icon in the bottom right of my bar, then going to dayz mod, like i would dota 2 or chivalry.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think you just need to download all your Arma 2 stuff from steam, then download and launch DayZ Commander. The Commander will automatically install the updates you need to run the version of DayZ you want to play.

It's not always smooth sailing.

Edit: I'll give SA this: really fast game launch compared to DayZ Mod

W

Wrathcaster

sounds good wrath, what is your steam? its actually on sale for 12.50$ for combined operations if anyone else was thinking of grabbing it.

whats the total install look like for arma 2 combined ops + dayz mod, may have to make some room.
JendrykEpsilon or Jendryk2000.

Size on my HDD for Arma 2 is 8.5 gb. Size for Arma 2: OA + DayZ and mods for DayZ is like 18.6 gigs, but I have a shitload of mods and maps downloaded, many that clock in at 2gb+

Adebisi_sl said:
I still haven't played Epoch or Origins.

Is there a recommended let's play?
Epoch. Basebuilding is better and just generally seems more solid. Cybsled's dead on.

Only problem I've had with Epoch is I have a group of 3-5 friends that play on the same servers and work together on bases/combat, and somehow we always manage to piss the admins off. We don't talk shit, hardly say anything in side, never hacked, and mostly just run around grabbing/selling vehicles and making cool bases.

Eventually, however, we start PvPing after we've got everything set up and we inevitably run across the admin's base or the admin himself and it seems most admins take it a bit too personally when they get shot in the face or have a vehicle get blown up. Maybe it's the fact we're organized and decent at the game, so we ended up sort of ruling the server by default. Dunno if other people have this problem or not, but even with it I'd still prefer Epoch over Origins.

You should try Epoch Panthera Adebisi, it's a pretty cool map and a nice change of scenery. Plus, there's not the issue of all the high grade military loot being confined basically to two areas.

-

On another note,good god damnthere are ashitloadof combat loggers in standalone. I've killed at least 10 assholes jumping from server to server trying to get a fresh barracks and every single one of the douches has ALT-F4'd on me. I swear, they must have it set to a macro/key binding or something. Even had one kid combat log, wait 10 minutes, come back in and shoot me in the back while I was leaving. It seems like the old system of having your character just standing upright immobilized for a second or two when you first log in, so the fuckers have just been appearing out of thin air ready to shoot.

One of them got me earlier as I was walking out of the barracks. I had literally walked away from where he spawned and less than 10 seconds later I'm dead after he shot me in the back of the head. That shit has got to change. The pub hives really do need a system for dealing with this shit, as well as handling it the way a lot of private servers do by spawning you back in next time with hardly any blood and broken legs.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I thought they were putting something in to fix combat logging. In Origins your character stayed logged in waving their arms around for 30 seconds if you logged when you were engaged by a player or agroed by a zombie. Hopefully they can add something similar in because if it's the same as vanilla Dayz then it'll be a huge problem. Locking people out for an extra 30 seconds like I've seen them mention doesn't solve the problem, or even address the actual issue.

W

Wrathcaster

I haven't actually tried combat logging yet, so I'm not 100% that there's not a lockout yet but given what happened to me earlier, there either isn't a lockout timer or these kids are finding some way of avoiding it. I literally saw one kid spawn in and out twice, had my gun trained exactly where he logged out, and he was able to move and shoot as soon as he appeared. Regardless, barracks are way more dangerous as is. They'll spawn right on fucking top of you.

EDIT:

Seems there is a partial solution to combat logging implemented in the last update. A player who logs out unconscious dies, as does a player who logs out while restrained (handcuffs or rope I'm guessing). That's better than nothing, but it still doesn't address the fuckers who bail as soon as they hear shots/take damage.

There needs to be a system that detects combat like in the mod, where when you fire a gun/use melee/engage zombies/take damage and puts you into combat mode, where you're not allowed to log out via abort, and you can't logout for 30 seconds while zombies are close. Neither prevents ALT-F4'ing, but it would help immensely if they implemented something like a 30 second immobilization period with your character still present in the game if you disconnect in "combat mode", combined with an immobilization timer for when you log back in, as well as perhaps infliction of additional damage upon reconnect on those who log after getting hit and disconnected

There needs to be a system that detects combat like in the mod, where when you fire a gun/use melee/engage zombies/take damage and puts you into combat mode, where you're not allowed to log out via abort, and you can't logout for 30 seconds while zombies are close. Neither prevents ALT-F4'ing, but it would help immensely if they implemented something like a 30 second immobilization period with your character still present in the game if you disconnect in "combat mode", combined with an immobilization timer for when you log back in, as well as perhaps infliction of additional damage upon reconnect on those who log after getting hit and disconnected
They don't even have to make it complicated like that. Just a global 30 universal logout/exit timer is fine for the entire game. No need to determine combat status.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I would like them to add if you are bleeding and log, you die. Maybe stop this darn alt+f4 crap.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
So uh, do people play the Stand Alone version of this or do they play the mod version, because like Arma II and the Expansion is 5 dollars on Steam and the mod's free, but the SA version is 30 dollars. Seems kind of strange.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
So uh, do people play the Stand Alone version of this or do they play the mod version, because like Arma II and the Expansion is 5 dollars on Steam and the mod's free, but the SA version is 30 dollars. Seems kind of strange.
Get Arma, if you like the mod give the dev $30 and get the stand alone. It's in very early alpha atm and is a little fucked up. The mods are much more 'polished' as much as you could use that word referring to DayZ.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The standalone is very playable right now, there just isn't very much content. It'll be another 6 months before it's as rich as the mod, but it functions better as a game for now.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
The standalone is very playable right now, there just isn't very much content. It'll be another 6 months before it's as rich as the mod, but it functions better as a game for now.
Seems like my computer lags extremely bad on ultra settings, which really doesn't make sense as games that are more graphic intensive run perfectly fine, may just be unoptimized shit or whatever, but I've been playing on high..

I accidentally ate a rotten orange and have been running around for about an hour trying to find something to drink and something to cure my sickness. fml.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Sounds about right for DayZ. I doubt there is a rig in existence that can run it on ultra, and yea it's mostly due to shit optimization. If you're really having problems finding loot you probably need to try a different server; loot doesn't actually respawn right now so most high pop servers get pretty empty pretty quick (this is also why most restart every 2 hours).

Kaljin

N00b
I find DayZ SA pretty fun! Only real bug I dislike is falling from corridor stairs or getting stuck in them at times but using "V" usually solves it.

I don't have problems finding gear or food mainly because I don't hang around all the spots the sheep flock too, the map is huge so I rarely see people and when I do the majority aren't dicks but there are jerks out there like the ole'trickster faking he has broken legs and asks for help and then meanwhile his 2 friends come from behind and axe you (or try) so if you ever see some idiot faking leg injuries just shoot him in the face, chances are he is going to die to a zombie anyways.

Most deer stands I've encounters have had a canteen and sticks (to mend a broken leg with rags) and I always try to stay around a 4 town circle that has water wells so I can keep hydrated.

Food isn't ever a problem, amo/weapons isn't a problem etc - the true problem is hanging around where most sheep graze. If you aren't find anything try adventuring FFS.

Add me on steam if you want to adventure sometime.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Seems like my computer lags extremely bad on ultra settings, which really doesn't make sense as games that are more graphic intensive run perfectly fine, may just be unoptimized shit or whatever, but I've been playing on high..

I accidentally ate a rotten orange and have been running around for about an hour trying to find something to drink and something to cure my sickness. fml.
!!!

Can we start Unicornia Survival Squad?