Dead Cells

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Okay, so I've beaten the sepulcher three times now. It's not as hard as I first thought, you just have to keep moving and find another light source. Seems like it's a short cut to the clock tower. I also got the infantry grenade and a rune (forget the name) that when combined makes mobs drop blueprints. Still haven't gotten the spider rune, but did get vampirism, impaler (great weapon), Valmont's whip (another great weapon), and a few other blueprints to drop now. I can get to the castle on a fairly regular basis now, but I keep getting smashed by the mobs when I get there. Think they're tuned a little too tough, as even when I have 5k+ in hit points, I'm still getting face raped. My enjoyment of the game is waning. Starting back at the beginning every time is getting annoying, and you really can't afford to skip mobs and rush to the next board because you won't have enough power ups to defeat the last few boards anyway. Fun game, but I wish you didn't have to start from the very beginning each run.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Game changes a lot when you have all the runes as you can full clear everything and be leveled and geared up sufficiently definitely don't do something you think is a "shortcut". Also don't try and balance your stats, pick one and dump most scrolls into it and 4/5 for the other 2. If you go full tactics with traps you can clear the castle easily by dropping traps and hiding.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
So I’ve been playing this since the weekend and now I’m having “Tetris dreams” of this where I’m doing runs over and over.

Great game but gtfo my head lol!

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think I would enjoy the game more if you could at least continue once you've beaten the concierge. Also, is there any way to break the bottles that hold all of the weapons at the beginning of the game? Some runs I'm forced to just get killed and start over cause they start me out with a shit weapon. I don't think I'll play this game after I finally beat the boss, but I will say that it's an incredibly addictive game. Couple of times I found myself five or more hours played without even realizing it.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Got gifted this on XB1 and am loving it. Have done about a dozen runs so far and made it to the level after the clock tower boss. Can't remember what it was called because the difficulty jump from everything else to that stage was insane and I got destroyed by some crazy broadsword and spear mobs. I think if this ever goes on sale on the switch I'm going to double dip because this seems like the perfect lunch break game.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Really thought I would get more mileage out of this. Beat it after about six hours once I realized the key to winning is playing this shit like Mark of the Ninja on hard mode. I'm not a perfectionist/completionist so I don't care that I don't have so many of the items.

The Impaler, Sinew Slicer, Frost Blast, Arrow Turret make this thing really really easy. I also had like 17k health when I got to the end. I'll do a run through here and there I guess!

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>
Ive been drawn into this game so hard. The music is right on target, combat feels fluid yet kinetic. Finding hidden rooms, and new gear feels rewarding and the art style is superb. It feels good to step back into a modern Metroidvania.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finally picked this up on sale last week and really love it. Randomness, slowly getting more powerful, variety in how the weapons play, all great. Got a legendary bow early on that was 1-2 shooting everything up until the peak, later found I was one miniboss from the final boss. Didnt look anything up until after I beat it, Beat it last night with a weird whip melee and legendary Molotov cocktails for ranged combo.

Will probably keep going to get the spider rune and see everything I suppose, I’m still not tired of it.

So I guess Salt and Sanctuary is the next one I should go after? Would love to play more like this.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Finally picked this up on sale last week and really love it. Randomness, slowly getting more powerful, variety in how the weapons play, all great. Got a legendary bow early on that was 1-2 shooting everything up until the peak, later found I was one miniboss from the final boss. Didnt look anything up until after I beat it, Beat it last night with a weird whip melee and legendary Molotov cocktails for ranged combo.

Will probably keep going to get the spider rune and see everything I suppose, I’m still not tired of it.

So I guess Salt and Sanctuary is the next one I should go after? Would love to play more like this.
Salt and Sanctuary isn't a roguelike like this, more like a 2D Dark Souls. If you're looking for something similar as far as roguelikes, Hades is great and Slay the Spire is a similar concept (but not at all the same gameplay).

Edit: I loved Salt and Sanctuary. I didn't want to put it down. I just wanted to clarify that it's not the same as Dead Cells at all really. I actually wasn't a big fan of Dead Cells and only played for a couple hours before uninstalling.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Is this like Hades where you can get stronger/ build passives over time? I really love roguelikes with that building power increase since I'm bad at these games, lol.

Also, has anyone played the mobile version of this and is it worth a shit?

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Is this like Hades where you can get stronger/ build passives over time? I really love roguelikes with that building power increase since I'm bad at these games, lol.

Yes it is a roguelike that allows you to get more powerful over time.

Yes it is totally worth playing.

No I have not played the mobile version.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

You get stronger over time but it’s a lot more RNG than Hades and has a lot less substance and content to it. It’s a good game but they aren’t really comparable.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Lol you asked the exact opposite question I did in the Hades thread.

This game is really fun, definitely worth buying.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Dead Cells is great, especially if you haven’t visited since Early Access. I took like 2 years off and it really improved a ton. Different and without the polish that Hades has, but as pointed out they’re very different games.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I really liked Dead Cells a lot. In fact, there have been numerous great rogue likes lately. Dead Cells, Hades, and Risk of Rain 2 have been some of the best games I've played in years.