Dead Cells

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just pump all scrolls you find into your primary stat. Youll find enough of the other color scrolls as you play to give you 2-3 points in your secondary stats pretty easily. There’s no reason to distribute stats evenly.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I usually try to spread out the points at first for the HP bonuses. Then go purple if I have bleed traps.

That said, never beat it. Got to the sewer thing after the second boss where you need to stay in the light to survive. My more slow tactic of using traps to kill was countered hard.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have beaten it a couple times now, CC traps(ice nade, bear traps etc) plus auto damage turrets has gotten me both wins. Also crit daggers, as long as that third hit lands it auto crits.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit, I just picked this game up. This may be my favorite Metroidvania game since Castlevania: SOTN! I literally can't stop playing it, and I also just downloaded Hollow Knight, which is also awesome, but has taken a back seat for the time being to Dead Cells. I'm pumped that all of these games are releasing on the Switch. Wonder if people's opinion on the system has changed at all now that so many third party games are being released?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit, I just picked this game up. This may be my favorite Metroidvania game since Castlevania: SOTN! I literally can't stop playing it, and I also just downloaded Hollow Knight, which is also awesome, but has taken a back seat for the time being to Dead Cells. I'm pumped that all of these games are releasing on the Switch. Wonder if people's opinion on the system has changed at all now that so many third party games are being released?

I've regretted every Nintendo purchase since the Snes. Don't regret the Switch. Some extremely solid exclusives along with more and more good hand held third party games. Just wish it was more powerful than my cell phone at least....

This game is a blast though.

Quick question, is there a permanent rune you get later for double jump or something similar? I've gotten necklaces with up to +3 mid air jumps, but other than that, I can't get up the areas where you need something to jump higher. For permanent runes I have the teleport from statues, destroy ground and grow vines. Are there many more? Maybe I need to get further more consistently.

• 1Like

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The purple "turret weapons" are def a nice crutch that are espescially good when your new to the game/areas. It's really one of thsoe games that feel harder in the start but you will get way better by playing it a bit.

I think the actual game mechanics are pretty easy once you get used to it. I am hardly a great platform player and found after playing it for 10 hours or so i could basically avoid nearly all dmg, or at least the great majority since sometimes you will run into some unlucky randomness ect.. The bosses save the last one are all pretty easy and i expect if you just try them a couple times you will find yourself beating them easy.

My fav strat is go for Brutality mostly, 4-6 in green/purple. hope for a good weapon like Twin daggers generally something with a nice combination of speed and dmg (crit dmg is always nice). Combined with something like an ice bow in secondary, Having freeze in the last area is soo nice as some of those trash mobs in the castle are very hard to get past without taking some nasty dmg. Plus you get a neg dmg modifier with it, my first winning run involved a nasty twin daggers with +175% frozen dmg, + poision dmg and insane crit dmg, nice Legendary Ice Bow with -35% dmg, A legendary Amulet for another -15%. For the final utility slows I ideally like the dual crossbow with something that combos well (like bleed, poison, or burn + a weapon with bonus to those).

For Mutations I typically use the Extra life one, Combo , The extra dmg near deployables, and 30% hp. For the final boss i will switch off Combo for something else.

Since i beat the Hand a couple ties i don't see much reason to continue playing however.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I've regretted every Nintendo purchase since the Snes. Don't regret the Switch. Some extremely solid exclusives along with more and more good hand held third party games. Just wish it was more powerful than my cell phone at least....

This game is a blast though.

Quick question, is there a permanent rune you get later for double jump or something similar? I've gotten necklaces with up to +3 mid air jumps, but other than that, I can't get up the areas where you need something to jump higher. For permanent runes I have the teleport from statues, destroy ground and grow vines. Are there many more? Maybe I need to get further more consistently.

Once you have the teleport and vine all the other jumps are either you can get there from somewhere else or you missing a pipe or something you can land on first.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
You will eventually get a rune that lets you climb walls. It's fairly late in the game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
You will eventually get a rune that lets you climb walls. It's fairly late in the game.

Ah. Cause especially in the second level (Path place, not toxic sewers) there is often a tall thing with a grave key on it. There are 3 keys in the level with a blueprint behind the last door, but I've only ever got two.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Ah. Cause especially in the second level (Path place, not toxic sewers) there is often a tall thing with a grave key on it. There are 3 keys in the level with a blueprint behind the last door, but I've only ever got two.
Yeah there is a tower midway through that which you need wall running to get to the top of.

Runes

Spider Rune is what you need.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah there is a tower midway through that which you need wall running to get to the top of.

Runes

Spider Rune is what you need.

Thanks!

This seems handy (image of biome progression, spoilered for size)

Brutal_Update_Biome_Map_by_Ray_G._Quit.png
Brutal_Update_Biome_Map_by_Ray_G._Quit.png

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
One thing that struck me while playing this game and Rouge legacy at the same time is how the controls/gameplay just feel so much more fluid in Dead Cells.

Rogue legacy often looks easier but i always find myself having a way, way harder time defeating enemies without taking damage. I'm not like a game design person but i would be interested to know why this is. my best guess is the controls are just more responsive but i think it must be something else as RL feels more like old 8bit side scrollers somehow.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
One thing that struck me while playing this game and Rouge legacy at the same time is how the controls/gameplay just feel so much more fluid in Dead Cells.

Rogue legacy often looks easier but i always find myself having a way, way harder time defeating enemies without taking damage. I'm not like a game design person but i would be interested to know why this is. my best guess is the controls are just more responsive but i think it must be something else as RL feels more like old 8bit side scrollers somehow.
Haven’t played either game but control responsiveness is almost always a matter of whether the game allows animation canceling and how many animation frames are in the “wind up” of the action.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Finally beat hand of the king, normal tactics and traps, had some good luck with -DR stuff. Good game but think I'm done.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven’t played either game but control responsiveness is almost always a matter of whether the game allows animation canceling and how many animation frames are in the “wind up” of the action.

Ya i don't think that it as neither allows animation cancel and both basically have no "wind up". if anything Dead cells has a longer "windup" and "cooldown" on some slow weapons while RL basically has none and your sword (onlly weapon) will hit anything in it's arc immediately.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I keep getting fucked up in that area where you need to stay by the light. I don't know where to go, or what to do. If you're out of the light for more than a few seconds, your health bar depletes almost instantly. I also am having a bitch of a time getting blueprints to drop. I even did the grenade upgrade that's supposed to allow more blueprints to drop, but to no avail. Definitely could use the spider rune. Game is starting to frustrate me. Starting from the beginning every time is starting to get annoying. They should at least let you start in the second area after you defeat the concierge.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
I had to google runes to get them all sadly. Don't go to the forgotten sepulcher before you know what you're doing, its one of the harder zones in the game.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I keep getting fucked up in that area where you need to stay by the light. I don't know where to go, or what to do. If you're out of the light for more than a few seconds, your health bar depletes almost instantly. I also am having a bitch of a time getting blueprints to drop. I even did the grenade upgrade that's supposed to allow more blueprints to drop, but to no avail. Definitely could use the spider rune. Game is starting to frustrate me. Starting from the beginning every time is starting to get annoying. They should at least let you start in the second area after you defeat the concierge.

My biggest complaint was starting from the beginning over and over again. It ended up driving me away from the game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

I got the spider rune two days ago. Went the route of Toxic Sewers, Ancient Sewers, Insuffrable crypt, slumbering sanctuary. Got the rune just barely into slumbering sanctuary from an elite. Boss on the crypt was hard. Then I made the mistake of going the route of the forgotten sepulcher and died.

Gotten to final boss once and he hit for 2k. I had probably picked up too many scrolls. It wasn't even close.

I am not sure if blueprints are just random, or if they are tied to later levels. But I've started getting them now fairly often as I usually always end up in the later zones each run.