Dead Cells

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I haven't played this since last summer, but I loved it then. Will probably start a new game now that it went 1.0.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
for pc gamers you can get a pretty good deal on the Razer store (yeah the dudes who make keyboards and mice, i dunno wtf is going on either)

Buy Deadcells for $17.98 on the Razer store, get a coupon for $15 off a future $30 order in a few mins as well as a few hundred zSilver (no idea)
Use that $15 coupon immediately for Pillars of Eternity II Deluxe to drop it from $38.39 to $23.39 plus use a coupon to knock an additional 10% and you'll get a $10 coupon on Razer hardware. Or can use it Pillars Obsidian (season pass) edition

Use coupon code RGSSD18AUG10 to knock 10% off one order, one time use only. If you're gonna buy Dead Cells and Pillars its better on the higher priced item, Pillars
Razer Exclusives | Razer Game Store

I was in the checkout page but realized i still haven't played Pillars 1, and probably won't play Dead Cells right now so kinda passed for now

• 1Like

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Been playing this a lot and am terrible at it :rolleyes: got to the timekeeper once lol. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but yeah just plugging away at unlocking shit and when I get to the village with the cannonball guys I just hope I got a build that doesn't suck/can deal with them without getting destroyed. I'm an old though.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I'm an old though.

How old though?!?

LoL I'm in my 30's and this game has been a mix of insane and challenging fun. Some of the "Timed Doors" I literally just haul ass, ignoring anything that has a chance to kill me and pray I make it in time. Overall it's comically intense.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Been playing this a lot and am terrible at it :rolleyes: got to the timekeeper once lol. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but yeah just plugging away at unlocking shit and when I get to the village with the cannonball guys I just hope I got a build that doesn't suck/can deal with them without getting destroyed. I'm an old though.
The way I am successful is using the sinew slicer or similar item a lot. I unlocked the crossboltbow one and that is my favorite.

So find passive DPS that you can throw on the ground and you will get a lot further along.

• 1Like

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Yeah I've been most successful with double traps but don't have any primary or secondaries that really help them other than the molotov cocktail one and yeah at 42 apparently way too old for these games.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Really loving this game so far. However, I'm realizing that my 40 year old reactions suck now. =(

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Progression is really well done. After getting all the runes every run goes deep and yeah timekeeper is a joke. Haven't beat last boss yet but surely pretty soon. My advice is stay away from the sewers route as those zones suck and the sewer boss is much more tedious than the black bridge boss.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Boss, lol, I'm dying to impatience when I get to elites. This game is awesome though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I've been most successful with double traps but don't have any primary or secondaries that really help them other than the molotov cocktail one and yeah at 42 apparently way too old for these games.
Whenever possible I try to go with heavy xbow, ice bow/frost blast, and either double crossb-o-matic or crossb-o-matic and sinew slicer. Reforge the traps for pierce all targets and have some combo that poisons/bleeds/ignites everything around one trap while the other one does +100% damage to stuff afflicted by that status. Or if you use sinew slicers try to get +100% to bleeding on both traps. For stats I get 10 in tactics, even split between the other two for max hp.

Since I haven't unlocked any traps other than crossb-o-matic I'm usually able to get the traps I want every run. Weapons are a bit more sketchy, I unlocked too damn many things that I regret.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Explosive xbow is great too, you get the blueprints from the keyed door in promenade. Somehow my computer hard locked up between zones Saturday morning and after reset my save was wiped (??) which is actually a boon as I don't have a bunch of useless things unlocked. Only real complaint about the game is that you more or less have to research what to unlock or you'll never get the right items when you'll need them.

Vorph

I don't like some of the counter-intuitive mechanics. Not just obvious things like "oops, I just unlocked a garbage weapon and now I'm going to see it drop forever." Stuff that's invisible to the player, like every time you pick up a stat increase the enemies in the next biome gain stats too. And, unlike the player, they don't have any diminishing returns on theirs. So eventually you get to the point where picking up a scroll makes you weaker than you were before, relative to the enemies. It's why I never raise tactics past 10, or brute/surv past 4/6. Then there's the boss damage cap; you can never deal more than 5% of a boss' hp in one hit (Time Keeper is 3%). I think 'infection' is a pretty bad mechanic too.

My other two complaints would be that the hunter grenade/BP extractor thing is just annoying, and the game gets pretty tedious after a while because the new paths you unlock with runes usually make the run take longer instead of being Dark Souls-style shortcuts.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Dead cells taught me i dont like rogue games, i would absolutely adore this game if i didnt have to restart every 15 minutes lol

(got to the time keeper twice, then got bored of dying)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Every scroll you pick up increases enemy health and damage by 8%. So I think it works out to having 9/8/13 split be the point where diminishing returns start making you weaker.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Any other similar quality sidescrollers like this available on the Switch worth getting?

If you haven't played Hyper Light Drifter you absolutely should, I don't think it's on Switch yet but it is by far one of my favorite games I've played from an Indie studio.

It's a top down Zelda like game with fantastic gameplay elements and story. Just thinking about it makes me want to play it some more.

Dodsengel

Trakanon Raider
Haven't played it yet but will look into it. I played Salt and Sanctuary based on this thread but am ultra terrible at it. Just looking for more things to use the Switch for at this point.

Vorph

Salt and Sanctuary is by far the best of the [recent] bunch imo. Much better than Dead Cells even.

Lots of people love Hollow Knight... I keep losing interest and still haven't finished it.

No clue how good they are on Switch other than the fact that they have high review scores just like on other platforms. I played them both on PC.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is supposed to be very good too, but I haven't gotten around to it at all yet.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Stuff that's invisible to the player, like every time you pick up a stat increase the enemies in the next biome gain stats too. And, unlike the player, they don't have any diminishing returns on theirs. So eventually you get to the point where picking up a scroll makes you weaker than you were before, relative to the enemies.

That's only true as far as health goes, though, right? Each scroll for your primary damage stat increases your output by 15% relative to their 8% hp increase, which just makes you more glass cannony. If you're good, you just kill things faster. =)

Vorph

Yeah, after reading some more about it, it seems that the best strategy is to leave two of the stats at 5 or less and put everything in the main one you use.