Deadpool (2016)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I love Clancy Brown, especially as a voice actor, but he's too pudgy for cable

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
James Gunn bravo sir.

James Gunn_sl said:
"The film has a self-deprecating tone that's riotous. It's never been done before. It's poking fun at Marvel. That label takes itself so seriously, can you imagine them making fun of themselves in a movie? They'd rather stab themselves."

That's a quote from Deadline Hollywood, attributing it to a Hollywood "suit." I love Deadline and get a lot of my film business news from them. And I love Deadpool even more - the film is hilariously funny, has lots of heart, and is exactly what we need right now, taking true risks in spectacle film - but COME THE FUCK ON. That's no reason to rewrite history. This quote has to have been said by the dumbest fucking Hollywood exec in the history of dumb fucking Hollywood execs.
Let's ignore Guardians for a moment, a movie that survives from moment to moment building itself up and cutting itself down - God knows I'm biased about that one. But what do you think Favreau and Downey did in Iron Man? What the fuck was Ant-Man??!

Come on, Deadline.

After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Deadpool wasn't that. Deadpool was its own thing. THAT'S what people are reacting to. It's original, it's damn good, it was made with love by the filmmakers, and it wasn't afraid to take risks.
For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them. They can't just be copying what came before them.
So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool.

They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.
But hopefully in the midst of all this there will be a studio or two that will take the right lesson from this - like Fox did with Guardians by green-lighting Deadpool - and say - "Boy, maybe we can give them something they don't already have."
And that's who is going to succeed.
Have a great day.

j00t

They didn't greenlight deadpool because of the success of GotG, though I'm sure the tone of that film did help... They greenlit deadpool because "someone" leaked the test footage and the public went mental. Fox greenlit deadpool because the internet

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Huh???

That's not what he is saying, though as you said, the tone of GotG probably helped. He starts off with how DP shits all over Marvel's failures and some random Hollywood suit was saying it would never happen because of this and because Marvel takes itself so seriously.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can someone more familiar with the Deadpool canon help me out here. I thought Deadpool was always trying to join the Avengers and/or X-Men but they never want him because he's insane and kills people. But in the movie Colossus was trying to actively recruit him.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
That James Gunn sounds like just as much of a dumbshit as the "Hollywood suit" he's mocking.

1 questionable quote that may or may not have actually been said by someone that may or may not actually have anything to do with Disney/Marvel and he goes off on a BS rant about seeing "dozens" of GOTG ripoff trailers and that all we're going to see are a bunch of Duke Nukem superhero movies from now on.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
He's shitting on the lack of originality in Hollywood, something we do quite often around here. That's his main point.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It just bothers me when writers that come up with their narrative then make up a story around it. They'll usually do it based on something like this that most people will blindly agree with, since it fits a narrative they've seen before.

There are plenty of actual examples out there, there's no reason to be making shit up.

Anyways, great movie. Doesn't even really need a great story arc, I'd watch 2 hours of just Deadpool being Deadpool and wouldn't care if there was something tying it all together.

j00t

Haven't seen the movie yet, but yes there is definitely a love/hate relationship between deadpool and the xmen. They don't pay him, so he doesn't ACTUALLY want to be on the team, but then again, he always wants to be considered as a team player. But. Then again, he's definitely NOT a team player. He's amoral, but he's also altruistic. He's a mercenary at heart who won't cash his checks if he feels good about what he's doing, that it's for the greater good. But then again, who doesn't want to sneak into rogue's room while she's showering? Also, he is actively pissing off wolverine at all times just because it'll end in a stalemate.

So on some level he's too strong and good hearted to not be an ally, but he's also too chaotic to have around.

As far as the movie is concerned, I think this is earlier in his life before he was REALLY trying to get on the team.

Edit: I've heard a lot of comments about the story being... Light. That suits deadpool pretty well, actually. There are plenty of great deadpool stories that have such light stories because deadpool is ultimately the narrator and he doesn't really care what's going on most of the time.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, basically. It's deadpool being... deadpool. You don't need him cruising around trying to find Killbrew or anything; you just need him to be running around being Deadpool. And it will almost always work.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Dwayne Johnson for Cable...Hes big enough and has the acting chops (enough for this movie that is)

Eonan

Doer of Things
Can someone more familiar with the Deadpool canon help me out here. I thought Deadpool was always trying to join the Avengers and/or X-Men but they never want him because he's insane and kills people. But in the movie Colossus was trying to actively recruit him.
Yes and no. In Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine actively sought out Deadpool to join the X-Force because of his loose morals and willingness to get the job done. In a couple of other storylines there are running jokes that Deadpool REALLY wants to be an Avenger but no one will accept him.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also I felt like Gina's acting ability, or lack there of, was pretty apparent in this movie

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
R movies are like 3D movies, you can't just slap them on bullshit and expect it will make a difference. They have to actually be good movies first.
Speaking of 3D, I noticed my local theater didn't have it available in 3D. No skin off my teeth cause I hate 3D, but it did make me wonder if they even bothered with it.