Deadpool (2016)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
12.7M Thursday overnights, highest ever for an R rated film -- probably going to go past industry estimates of 60-70 million. Will recoup its budget in the first weekend. Not bad.

Column_sl

shitlord
There is no way in hell this movie is going to pass "American Sniper" or "Passion of the Christ." Random comic book guy that 90% of the country never heard of isn't going to beat a war movie, or a movie about JC.
Yeah who knows but right now it's set to break the opening weekend record

Deadpool had a record-breaking Thursday preview, pulling in $12.7M. Speculation puts it at breaking #1 weekend record for R-rated movie.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
It bodes very well that the group of cynics and jerks that frequent these forums mostly say it's a great movie. Can't wait.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I was supposed to go to the 10PM showing tonight but I have a nasty cough. I feel fine otherwise but I'm not a piece of shit and don't want to ruin it for everyone around me by coughing through the entire damn thing so I'm staying home.

This sucks.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Aside from my hyperbole, the thing that set this movie above a lot of others (for me at least) is how evident it was that the people behind the movie (Reynolds in particular, but also writers/director/producers) really cared about making the movie entertaining. There were so many little touches that could have easily been left out, but someone at some point went over everything with a fine-toothed comb and added or removed things that didn't contribute to the overall awesome. And then didn't let some studio or marketing exec change it to something shitty.

I'm sure I'm wrong, because I have very little idea how a movie is really made, but this looks like one of the most perfect examples of a studio just writing a check and letting the right people make a movie the way it should be done.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It is like a lot of other things in life where you just get a sense that whoever made it both cared about the product and enjoyed creating the product. And that rubs off on you / us as the consumer. It is infectious and really really awesome to see. Whole movie was just great from start to finish.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This is movie was so good, I could talk about a dozen different awesome things, but I'll just summarize all of my fanboisism.

Deadpool is 2016's Mad Max.
Since I was not impressed with Mad Max ( it was alright) I feel this is a bad comparison.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's great it's going to make it's production costs back quickly.....but I wonder how many millions they shelled out for advertising. It had to be close to 3 digit millions.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is no way they committed hundreds of millions to a rated R movie with a $58 million production budget. Outside of the standard tv commercials most of the marketing was very cheap like billboards and viral marketing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
There is no way they committed hundreds of millions to a rated R movie with a $58 million production budget. Outside of the standard tv commercials most of the marketing was very cheap like billboards and viral marketing.
This was all over the internet, television, cable television, super bowl, they had interviews on HBO, it's all over billboards, public transit, radio, satellite radio, they bought out entire blocks of time on TV that last hours where every commercial was a Deadpool commercial....they even had an airplane dragging a banner here it here in Minneapolis yesterday.

They advertised on every single level they could, what are you talking about? The only movie in recent memory I can think of that advertised harder than this was Star Wars.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
This was all over the internet, television, cable television, super bowl, they had interviews on HBO, it's all over billboards, public transit, radio, satellite radio, they bought out entire blocks of time on TV that last hours where every commercial was a Deadpool commercial....they even had an airplane dragging a banner here it here in Minneapolis yesterday.

They advertised on every single level they could, what are you talking about? The only movie in recent memory I can think of that advertised harder than this was Star Wars.
Except that most of it was through social media which is free to advertise on.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Since I was not impressed with Mad Max ( it was alright) I feel this is a bad comparison.
I have not seen this movie yet and I am pretty damn sure I will enjoy this movie more than Mad Max. I liked Mad Max but these are two very different movies. Deadpool looks to be the type of movie that I can see myself re-watching many times. Mad Max is a movie I have watched twice. Looking back at all the great R movies of the past, it is difficult to compare this movie with any movie. The only movie that might even come close but in no way comes close would be Hancock and that movie was PG-13. This in a small way is why this movie is getting such fantastic reviews. People have been wanting a super hero movie that does not soft coat anything for a very long time. Add that to the talent and passion that went into the making of this movie and you have a Classic that will be talked about for decades to come.

I just hope the sequel can continue down the same road while still remaining fresh and enjoyable.

Also as a side note. I knew from both the previews and the fact that Ryan Reynolds was playing him, that this movie would be awesome. If you would like to see Ryan Reynold's audition for Deadpool, just watch Blade Trinity.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The rule of thumb in Hollywood is to spend an additional 50% of the production cost of a movie on marketing but that has been trending upwards. They probably went well over that since it was only budgeted $60 million for production. I seriously doubt they went orders of magnitude over it though.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The rule of thumb in Hollywood is to spend an additional 50% of the production cost of a movie on marketing but that has been trending upwards. They probably went well over that since it was only budgeted $60 million for production. I seriously doubt they went orders of magnitude over it though.
I wouldn't be surprised if they went way less than that here, especially considering how much they had to cut from the movie at the last moment just to get the studios to approve it.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I was supposed to go to the 10PM showing tonight but I have a nasty cough. I feel fine otherwise but I'm not a piece of shit and don't want to ruin it for everyone around me by coughing through the entire damn thing so I'm staying home.

This sucks.
We clearly disagree on many things, but I applaud you for this level of consideration. Most people don't give two shits about potentially annoying behavior in theaters.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm sure I'm wrong, because I have very little idea how a movie is really made, but this looks like one of the most perfect examples of a studio just writing a check and letting the right people make a movie the way it should be done.
This is actually more or less verbatim how Reynolds describes the studio's involvement. "R rating. Here's your release date and a check. Don't fuck up."