Deadwood

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I mean...it wasn't supposed to end that way. I've come to enjoy that blue balls feeling at the end of season 3 but I, like many, was pretty upset when we learned the show was being cancelled.

Given that at the time there was supposed to be a 4th season coming, how were they supposed to end 3? Hearst burns Deadwood to the ground? Seth or Cy kills George as he's leaving...leading to the same result? You can't really continue the story line there without letting Hearst just leave camp peacefully.

Had the plan been for just three seasons all along we probably would have gotten something different. That said, I like the build to nothing after the fact.

Pumpkin Thief

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The show ended that way because of money reasons. It wasn't finished yet.

I don't feel like dredging up the links but there are some interesting interviews with both Ian McShane and the guy that played Dan, Al's right hand man, where they talk about how HBO fucked em and lied to them and how much they resent HBO for ending it like that.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Alex_sl said:
I can turn that moron comment right back to you for that.
Mad Men at its best is average. Nothing wrong with liking it but there is absolutely nothing beyond it's initial premise to distinguish it from any other drama...aside from Christina Hendricks.

spronk

FPS noob
All the familiar period shows - Deadwood, Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos, Borgias, Wire, Rome, Tudors, Mad Men, Spartacus, Downton Abbey, etc - are more or less great, with a few bad episodes but mostly riveting television. Some people are going to like the more gangster/action/sex shows, some people are going to like the more soap opera/romanticized/thoughtful shows. Its pretty silly to really rank them, since it will vary greatly with what is going on with your own life. I found Mad Men insanely boring when it first aired, but now that I am older and have kids I really appreciate it a lot more, a lot of the slow scenes really make me think. I probably would like Sopranos more if I rewatched it now, I hated all that emo shit that started around season 5 when it first aired.

fuck I'm getting old

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Mad Men at its best is average. Nothing wrong with liking it but there is absolutely nothing beyond it's initial premise to distinguish it from any other drama...aside from Christina Hendricks.
Yeah, your opinion is wrong and you are wrong.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean...it wasn't supposed to end that way. I've come to enjoy that blue balls feeling at the end of season 3 but I, like many, was pretty upset when we learned the show was being cancelled.

Given that at the time there was supposed to be a 4th season coming, how were they supposed to end 3? Hearst burns Deadwood to the ground? Seth or Cy kills George as he's leaving...leading to the same result? You can't really continue the story line there without letting Hearst just leave camp peacefully.

Had the plan been for just three seasons all along we probably would have gotten something different. That said, I like the build to nothing after the fact.
HBO really needs to make a commitment to it's viewers with these shows. They should be able to make a promise after the first few episodes of a show and say this show will run at least 3 years and tell the people in charge of the show that they need to wrap up the current storyline within that time-frame. If the show is still successful after those 3(or whatever they pledge) years the writers can start a new storyline arc. Ending shows like they do sometimes is an insult to the people who pay for their channel.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Actually you can't. Because Mad Men is boring as shit compared to any above average show. You can't even compare it to Deadwood.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I like this show. But much like Game of Thrones, I know certain people are going to die and I can sense certain horrible things happening, and the dread of every time ... welp, it just happened, so I guess I can worry a bit less.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I sent the DVDs to my brother and his wife refused to continue watching the show for a while at the end of S1 because she couldn't stand to see the preacher die. She eventually did watch it though and finished out the series.

TJ Lazer_sl

shitlord
Yeah I'm on my fourth viewing right now and this show is still invincible. Every character on it is gold. You're just a simpleton if you don't like it, sorry.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I have to agree. I origionally wanted to watch just due to liking westerns but this really is a whole level above the majority of TV.

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
I enjoyed Deadwood just like everyone else here it seems.

Whilst the last season didn't end very well at all, on reflection I thought it should of been a three season show. S01 The establishment of the town, S02 The huge gold rush and then the last season the gold runs dry and all the empires are for naught.

I would hate to have a series like that just continue and continue like so many do until it becomes a mercy that they take the show off air.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
such a great show, watched it 3 times already, too bad they didnt finish it.

i guess without this show i would have never watched justified ... olyphant FTW.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And Ellsworth!

OXGjXmA.jpg
EDBYiX7.jpg

OXGjXmA.jpg

EDBYiX7.jpg