Death and... Taxes.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So......

Just did my initial run on taxes this year. Still needing a few minor documents on interest earned in a few side accounts and whatnot..

But it's looking like I'm going to end up owing somewhere around $7k this year.

Could we move the boog up to happen before April 15th?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Guessing I will get an audit or at least a review this year.

Almost no chance of that given how fucked the IRS's staffing and funding situation is.

I declared a (real) six-figure capital loss from private stock last year with literally no verification and they didn't even blink.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Almost no chance of that given how fucked the IRS's staffing and funding situation is.

I declared a (real) six-figure capital loss from private stock last year with literally no verification and they didn't even blink.

Mineral right sales you inherited fall into unknown no man land at times. The IRS doesn't offer any "guidance". If it had no declared value at the time it was inherited you don't pay capital gains and it's not taxed as income either. LOT of grey area.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So......

Just did my initial run on taxes this year. Still needing a few minor documents on interest earned in a few side accounts and whatnot..

But it's looking like I'm going to end up owing somewhere around $7k this year.

Could we move the boog up to happen before April 15th?
I too failed to min max. We owe like $5k.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I too failed to min max. We owe like $5k.
I don't see it as failure. That extra $7k I had would have gone into investments and such. Meaning that paying it now, I still keep whatever I made on it while I had it....

In my case I had a lot of Stock RSU's vest, plus being in sales I had an "above quota" year to the tune of around %150 of my quota. Both those combined pushed my income up past what my company takes out as a withholding percentage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I guided my wife through doing her own taxes for the first time ever this year. Cottage baking... Set sail for an audit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't see it as failure. That extra $7k I had would have gone into investments and such. Meaning that paying it now, I still keep whatever I made on it while I had it....

In my case I had a lot of Stock RSU's vest, plus being in sales I had an "above quota" year to the tune of around %150 of my quota. Both those combined pushed my income up past what my company takes out as a withholding percentage.
I mean that to me fully min maxed taxes is owing as close to $0 as possible and having a refund as close to $0 as possible.

Captain Suave

I mean that to me fully min maxed taxes is owing as close to $0 as possible and having a refund as close to $0 as possible.

You're better off owing the maximum possible below the threshold of underpayment penalty.

• 2Diamond Hands
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
You're better off owing the maximum possible below the threshold of underpayment penalty.
This is true so long that your finances accommodate and allow for you to liquidate assets to pay the bill, which is what I'm doing this year. Question is which assets to liquidate.

Captain Suave

This is true so long that your finances accommodate and allow for you to liquidate assets to pay the bill, which is what I'm doing this year. Question is which assets to liquidate.

Right. Obviously you have to do your job and manage your own cash flow. No reason to give interest-free loans to the government to have them do it for you. Same goes for health insurance. For every suite of plans I've ever seen you're significantly better off paying lower premiums with a high deductible and paying out of pocket when you need care.

Much like payroll tax, insurance companies get in before your paycheck lands and abuse human psychology into thinking they're doing you a favor.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Lucky me, I got a 1099-K this year for the first time. What a shitshow this thing is.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I pay taxes six times a year. My accountant goes through things meticulously each time, documents everything, and by the end of the year has a huge file of that year's taxes. Because I have 5 dependents and a wife, plus I make a metric fuck tonne of donations, I always come out on top to the tune of $15K. A couple years ago we did a voluntary audit, being self employed and making good money is kind of a magnet for IRS audits, and because we did that the IRS likes us, and treats us right. Never a question about what we're doing.

I have to say I am 100% above board on all issues financial. I've seen others who try to cheat just a little and it brings disastrous consequences.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
My tax bill was 42k for 2023.

tenor.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I pay taxes six times a year. My accountant goes through things meticulously each time, documents everything, and by the end of the year has a huge file of that year's taxes. Because I have 5 dependents and a wife, plus I make a metric fuck tonne of donations, I always come out on top to the tune of $15K. A couple years ago we did a voluntary audit, being self employed and making good money is kind of a magnet for IRS audits, and because we did that the IRS likes us, and treats us right. Never a question about what we're doing.

I have to say I am 100% above board on all issues financial. I've seen others who try to cheat just a little and it brings disastrous consequences.
This is complete schizo talk.

Carry on.

• 1Like