Death and... Taxes.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So if I owe fed fags money this year, I think it’s obvious I shouldn’t pay the full amount to them at the time of filing? What’s the best way to pay them as late as possible without incurring penalties? I don’t believe in free loans to my government.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So if I owe fed fags money this year, I think it’s obvious I shouldn’t pay the full amount to them at the time of filing? What’s the best way to pay them as late as possible without incurring penalties? I don’t believe in free loans to my government.

Your tax bill is owed at the time of filing and penalties can start at 0.5% per month (there's a bit of a grace period if you are mailing payment). When we talk about not giving loans to the IRS that means reducing withholding and estimated tax payments during the preceding tax year.

Last edited:
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Your tax bill is owed at the time of filing and penalties can start at 0.5% per month (there's a bit of a grace period if you are mailing payment). When we talk about not giving loans to the IRS that means reducing withholding and estimated tax payments during the preceding tax year.
Guess I’ll be filing on the last day then.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Thanks for the reminder. Just did mine. Should be getting 2k back between IRS and state. Hooray for home ownership again.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Anyone ever have to fight with their HSA custodian to update their 1099-SA? I got paid back via check after the new year by a medical provider for something insurance eventually covered and deposited the money back to them as a mistaken distribution.

I've reviewed 3 articles like the one below and they all claim the hsa custodian needs to ammend this year's 1099-SA, but they're claiming they only release one per year and they'll do it on next year's.

I love the concept of HSAs, but I hate all the bullshit and red tape around them.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Anyone ever have to fight with their HSA custodian to update their 1099-SA? I got paid back via check after the new year by a medical provider for something insurance eventually covered and deposited the money back to them as a mistaken distribution... they're claiming they only release one per year and they'll do it on next year's.

Let them do whatever. The 1099-SA is just informational as long as the distributions went to medical expenses. Only the contributions (or non-medical distributions under age 65) change your tax burden.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Let them do whatever. The 1099-SA is just informational as long as the distributions went to medical expenses. Only the contributions (or non-medical distributions under age 65) change your tax burden.
That's good to know. My fear was that it'd somehow look like a contribution in the new tax year if it wasn't properly accounted for in the previous. Turns out I've got even more HSA issues - my wife over contributed to hers. Had her file to pull the cash out, now I'm just seeing if it goes through by this weekend or if I'll need to file an extension.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
We are about to pay the largest tax bill we ever had by many orders of magnitude. We also did amazingly well in 2023 so this was anticipated; however, it is astounding how much money the Federal government takes from productive people. It would be great if everyone had to plan for a lump sum tax bill every year instead of getting it taken out of their paychecks. There would be no more fiscal liberals.

• 4Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have fallen and woke up in the twilight zone. I had multiple CPAs figure my taxes this year due to a large payment the IRS doesn't offer "guidance" on which seems like a huge trap. My normal CPA, another CPA, and a CPA recommended by someone I know that leases and buys mineral rights for Chevron. They pow wowed and I paid a significant tax amount. Today my CPA called and said the IRS sent it back with a further explanation including getting a tiny amount back that I never paid in.

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Today my CPA called and said the IRS sent it back with a further explanation including getting a tiny amount back that I never paid in.

Congrats! Keep records of everything and for the love of god never ask for any IRS clarification for the rest of your life.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I have fallen and woke up in the twilight zone. I had multiple CPAs figure my taxes this year due to a large payment the IRS doesn't offer "guidance" on which seems like a huge trap. My normal CPA, another CPA, and a CPA recommended by someone I know that leases and buys mineral rights for Chevron. They pow wowed and I paid a significant tax amount. Today my CPA called and said the IRS sent it back with a further explanation including getting a tiny amount back that I never paid in.

Be sure to keep all of the goddamn paperwork they sent in triplicate so when they come try and claw it back at least you have proof that they cannot charge you interest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Be sure to keep all of the goddamn paperwork they sent in triplicate so when they come try and claw it back at least you have proof that they cannot charge you interest.

My CPA keeps records and then forwards it to me. Same CPA I've had for the last 30 years and I thought she was old 30 years ago.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Just wrapped mine up... It's the largest check I have written to the IRS. But at the same point I did 150%+ of my quota last year, plus had a lot of company RSUs vest so this was expected. Still blows goats to write this check.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fucking extra $1500 to feds on top of usual taxes, sucks starting to kinda get some real interest income but then they take 25% back. Basically makes 5% interest more like 3.75% or whatever the math would be.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

I'd really love to be done with my taxes this year but I'm having trouble e-filing. H&R Block's servers seem to be down and I'm getting a "Bad Gateway" error. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'd really love to be done with my taxes this year but I'm having trouble e-filing. H&R Block's servers seem to be down and I'm getting a "Bad Gateway" error. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
Did you try unplugging and replugging your router?

Captain Suave

Did you try unplugging and replugging your router?

I've rebooted everything and turned my firewalls on and off. My connectivity is fine. I'm more worried that there's something weird wrong with my return that's creating spurious errors.

Edit: Not just me, tons of people on Reddit complaining about same symptoms. Hilariously, H&R Blocks payment servers are working even though their filing servers are tits up.

1713153750698.png

Fuck these guys. Who could possibly have predicted high server traffic the day before the fiiling deadline? Nah, let's not bother having someone in the office to fucking power cycle anything.

Last edited: