Death of a Game - Everquest franchise

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I have heard rumors of a new EQ game but there's also rumors of a new planetside game.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So are they just giving up on the new game? Or outsourcing it to a different studio?

If the latter, I can only imagine it's for the best.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd have to download it and load it up to figure out exactly what it was that I was experiencing. The memory I'm drawing on would be something like being 8 yards from a target, hitting an ability and the game moving my character 3 yards to be within 5. I just remember that combat felt very sticky, like I was surrendering some control over my character when using some(most?) abilities. Whereas in WoW, you could move around freely while using abilities (non stationary casting/channelled ones) and not cause issues unless you went out of range.

I'm super picky about animations and how a game "feels" and WoW is the only one that has ever felt right to me (outside of its casters)
FFXIV has a toggle option to auto face target when using abilities, it was useful years ago when the LoS cone was restrictive but most people play with it turned off and simply git gud.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't even run EQ2 right now on my computer. I get 2-3 FPS even on lowest settings. I don't even know why I bothered installing it. And their support guy on my ticket gave me a list of things to check for bad network stability... I hope that guy stayed. He's probably the smartest guy working there.

• 2Worf

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1544299577785.gif

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I feel really badly for my friends who are still working there.. I'm afraid DBG is beyond help at this point. A new EQ MMO that was a good performer could have resurrected the place, but I'm not sure it's possible now.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
Ya. Can't imagine they have the staffing to develop a new EQ MMO now. They're barely keeping up with their existing titles. If they can license a hit mobile game and cash in some easy profits they might be able to resurrect enough of a studio to bring in talent for one last go at it before their existing games go into heat death.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I can't even run EQ2 right now on my computer. I get 2-3 FPS even on lowest settings. I don't even know why I bothered installing it. And their support guy on my ticket gave me a list of things to check for bad network stability... I hope that guy stayed. He's probably the smartest guy working there.

Are you using Windows 10 and selecting High Performance under Game Mode|Graphics settings? I had bad FPS issues with WoW and other games until I turned High Performance on.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you using Windows 10 and selecting High Performance under Game Mode|Graphics settings? I had bad FPS issues with WoW and other games until I turned High Performance on.

That's not really a game mode thing, right? It's basically just a default override for this menu, which I already have on high performance

1544376246998.png

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
This game will never die. It will live on as a zombie, in the emu community.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Incidentally the 'Death of a Game' video includes footage from EverQuest for MAC and PC because we use the oldest client of any currently running emulator. It's the PoP era client, but can still be run using the old UI if you change a config file setting because it pre-dates the patch that removed it.

Emu quality has improved significantly in recent years. I would argue (admittedly I'm biased) that the better emus are a superior classic EQ experience than Daybreak's TLPs.

We'll (re)open source in a year or two and I'm sure p99 will eventually. Main branch EQEmu+PEQ has of course always been open source and p99+TAKP wouldn't exist without them. Each project has their own unique goals and areas of focus. EQ changed so much over the years that you can't really have a one-size-fits-all emu project. (mechanics change, zones change, different clients etc) You can have an EQ server running on your desktop right now and server software tailored to certain eras (Velious and PoP) will be available to everybody in the future, no matter what happens to Daybreak.

I don't mean to disrespect Daybreak here, but some of us have to save the art from the bean-counters. It'll be a sad day when the 'official' EQ servers go offline for good, but classic EQ will always be available, for free.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I wish they would sell the IP to someone with an interest to make it viable again.

I’d even take an open world EQ RPG a la Skyrim/Witcher.

Single player but you have to build a guild and arm them for bigger and better raids.

Suikoden + Witcher + EQ. Someone do this.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What ya'll need is something like the Path of Exile head-honchos being Everquest vets and picking up the rights if/when they become available. It's the only way that it could be done true justice with a decent enough budget.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
What ya'll need is something like the Path of Exile head-honchos being Everquest vets and picking up the rights if/when they become available. It's the only way that it could be done true justice with a decent enough budget.

Path of Everquest also acceptable.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Path of Everquest also acceptable.

Doesn't even have to be an ARPG. The World of Tanks guys were big into Master of Orion back in the day and picked up the rights for it when they had a bunch of cash laying around due to their success. A new MoO game became a passion project for them. It wasn't a really great sequel, but they also weren't the caliber of devs that the PoE guys are. I thought of them because they're rather successful and treat their product with the respect we as gamers wish all devs did.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I wish they would sell the IP to someone with an interest to make it viable again.

I’d even take an open world EQ RPG a la Skyrim/Witcher.

Single player but you have to build a guild and arm them for bigger and better raids.

Suikoden + Witcher + EQ. Someone do this.
If I was high on Shrooms:
  1. Pantheon is the next WOW
  2. Brad and VR get to wear moneyhats
  3. Brad takes the $ he doesn't blow on hookers and coke and buys EQ IP and staff
  4. Turns EQ into a new MMO, sans voxels
  5. Profit?!?!

• 2Like