Depression

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I have pets already, they are awesome.

Still feeling pretty down. All I've had time for as of late is work 12 hours, come home and spend an hour with my son, put him to bed, eat and go to bed myself. I guess that's somewhat helping keep my mind off things but not much.

Found out my dad had an attack last night. His illness causes weird things to happen in his body. Last night he was sitting there and his went into a coughing fit and his throat closed off causing him to pass out. My mother was there to help him sit up and open his airway and he was only out for about 5 or 6 seconds. Today though the rest of his body is responding and his feet are swelling up to the point where his skin is splitting so he's stuck in bed unable to walk, not that his legs would be strong enough to support him anyway. He'll be this way for a week or so probably.

Kills me to know he's going through this shit. Kills me even more to know I'm 11 hours away from him and can't help out.

lindz

#DDs
I've dealt with depression for about 12 years now, it sucks. It flares up every once and a while and I have never really learned how to deal with it properly. I've been on anti depressants, which I hated and stopped pretty quick and I've seen a few therapists but never found the right person for me so it was never very helpful. My husband is super supportive though and helps out a lot if I get weepy.

People say get out of the house and do something physical, but this is always hard because you lack the motivation to do it. What works best for me is to get myself involved in some project, busy work that I can spend most of my time obsessed with for however long it takes to snap out of it. Then everything goes back to normal unless the next round hits and I do it again. I'm at a good point right now so I'm trying to find a non computer hobby to try and get into so it won't be so hard to get motivated when I'm feeling low again.

I'm sorry you're going through it Tarrant, I know how hard it is. Do try to do the working out thing, so many people do say it helps or just find a project to keep you busy for awhile. This is not the time to make big life changing decisions though, save those for when you're not feeling like crap, then reexamine.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I have pets already, they are awesome.

Still feeling pretty down. All I've had time for as of late is work 12 hours, come home and spend an hour with my son, put him to bed, eat and go to bed myself. I guess that's somewhat helping keep my mind off things but not much.

Found out my dad had an attack last night. His illness causes weird things to happen in his body. Last night he was sitting there and his went into a coughing fit and his throat closed off causing him to pass out. My mother was there to help him sit up and open his airway and he was only out for about 5 or 6 seconds. Today though the rest of his body is responding and his feet are swelling up to the point where his skin is splitting so he's stuck in bed unable to walk, not that his legs would be strong enough to support him anyway. He'll be this way for a week or so probably.

Kills me to know he's going through this shit. Kills me even more to know I'm 11 hours away from him and can't help out.
All I can say is that whenever possible go see your dad. Probably one of the worst emotions is feeling guilty, and if you don't see him enough now you will have to deal with endless guilt after he passes. Every opportunity you had to see him where you chose not to will haunt you.. There were times I would make up some excuse for myself not to go visit my mom when I could because subconsciously I just couldn't *deal* with the stress and sadness of seeing her so sick. It wasn't often that I did, but when the surreal epiphany hits home after they die that you *really* will never see them again, the guilt will hit, and it will hit hard.

Your father is dying, I would be more worried if you *weren't* depressed. I won't whitewash things for you-- it will get worse after he passes, but again this is normal. I would implore you to do everything possible to spend as much time with him as possible in whatever you consider to be his final months. If you feel that you can invoke FMLA to take time off without effecting your career, do it. Even though my sisters were there and she had a hospice nurse, to this day I consider myself a selfish pussy for not taking time off using FMLA so I could spend more time with her during her final month. This despite the fact that I would visit almost every day for an hour after work.

P.S: It sounds like your dad has lymphedema? If so, my mom had this towards the end as well. Her legs swelled up to the size of tree trunks. Technically there's nothing to treat it except massage, however we found this device that worked wonders. We had to order it from Israel but it brought the inflammation way down and mad her more comfortable.http://megoafek.com/index.php?id=10

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
He has a rare form of muscle myopathy and only a hand full of people have it. It's of c quadrant, it's slowly degrading his body until he'll be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. It started in his legs where his feet would swell and split/bleed and he would be walking and his legs would just give out on him. There is no cure and he went 11 years without doctors being able to pinpoint what it was, the only reason they figured it out was a doctor from London was at Henry Ford the same day he was, saw his chart and talked with my dad and ran his own series of tests. It's genetic, but can only be passed on by the mother.

Over the years (it started when he was 36, hes 56 now) it moved into his chest where the muscles in his chest will tighten to the point where it's like he's having a heart attack. We've been told if he ever does have one we wont know until it's to late because we'll just think it's his myopathy. It then moved into his throat and his throat will now just close off at random choaking him until he passes out.

Now all of the three will just hit randomly or all at once and he will be stuck in bed for a few weeks while his body is too weak to move. He'll then get better and be okay for awhile until it starts all over again. Doing too much can cause an attack as well or any jar to his system. I saw him hit his knee on the tailgate of his truck and 4 hours later was in bed for a week and a half. Its even more heart breakin gbut my dad was a very active outdoorsman. Hunting, fighing...he loves lawn work and almost all of it has been taken from him.

It wont kill him, but its slowly crippling him. Hes also being treated for prostate cancer at the moment which is throwing his body out of wack on a constant basis.

So yeah, that's my dad.

Sorry if there's a lot of errors in this, typing from my phone.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I am prone to depression, but have been successful in keeping it at bay for many years without medication. Here's how I deal with it, I hope something here is helpful to you.

1. Routine. Get yourself in a true routine, and be thoughtful about what becomes part of your routine. Consistent bed time is a good one, so you don't end up staying up late, getting yourself tired, and falling deeper into depression. Include exercise in that routine - I know many have said it, but it's life changing to have that as part of your day. Regular hours, regular sleep, regular down/up time. It helps amazingly.

2. Friends. This I cannot stress enough. I have regular, repeating weekly engagements with people I know and love on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and some Fridays. There are people I see three or four times a week. Close friends. They hold me accountable. They ask how I am, and I'm so intimately involved with them, they know if I'm bullshitting when I say "I'm fine." There is nothing, not even drugs, that are as effective a balm for depression as friends who love you unconditionally. Find some. There are people in your life already that can fulfill this, you just haven't tapped into it, yet.

3. Perhaps most importantly, remember that this is an illness, not something you need to "get over." Ever heard someone say, "It's just cancer, get over it?" Saying, "You're just depressed, get over it" is just as stupid. Don't put it aside, thinking it will go away. Don't feel stupid for having an issue with it. Don't hide it, let the people you love know you're struggling with it.

In any case, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I hope you're able to find something helpful in this thread, and I hope your situation becomes one that fills you with joy.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Its been said before all throughout the thread but the most important things are keeping yourself busy... Don't give your brain a chance to think about feeling empty. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep will wreck you faster than anything else. A change in diet can work wonders depending on the kinds of foods you are eating regularly. Make sure you have friends that you can talk to. All those things sound great and wonderful but in the heat of depression you will not have the motivation to do any of it. You need friends that you can talk to and make them take you out, bring over a movie, have dinner with. You don't even need to sit and talk about your depression with them. You just need them there to keep you happy enough to naturally raise your serotonin levels.

Depression sucks because when it's rough, you cannot brute force your way out of it. You have to put things in place before it hits.

Lastly, stop working 12 hours a day. Stop. No amount of money or job security is worth the fallout in your body.

Good luck, man.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Its been said before all throughout the thread but the most important things are keeping yourself busy... Don't give your brain a chance to think about feeling empty. Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Lack of sleep will wreck you faster than anything else. A change in diet can work wonders depending on the kinds of foods you are eating regularly. Make sure you have friends that you can talk to. All those things sound great and wonderful but in the heat of depression you will not have the motivation to do any of it. You need friends that you can talk to and make them take you out, bring over a movie, have dinner with. You don't even need to sit and talk about your depression with them. You just need them there to keep you happy enough to naturally raise your serotonin levels.

Depression sucks because when it's rough, you cannot brute force your way out of it. You have to put things in place before it hits.

Lastly, stop working 12 hours a day. Stop. No amount of money or job security is worth the fallout in your body.

Good luck, man.
Can stop working the 12 to 15 hour days, this is our busy time of year and I have to until the second week of Aug. It's that or lose my job. It's this way every year and everyone else has to do it too.

j00t

I get that. I do. Problem is, your not everyone else. Heck. No one is everyone else. Some people can do that and it's fine. Some people can do that and they lose their mind. Some people can do that as long as they don't have kids or a wife. Some people can do that BECAUSE they have kids and a wife.

Point is who cares what anyone else is doing. You aren't living anyone else's life. You are living yours.

One thing I remember being told when I was younger... Who is the better father? The guy who takes the promotion that let's him make twice as much but he works twice as much? Out the guy who doesn't take the promotion and only make enough to scrape by but has plenty of free time with the family? I can't answer that for, as I don't know what is more important to you. You seem like you value your family pretty highly, though. Just my 2 cents.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I mean you're right, I could choose to be unemployed instead of working through a month of overtime but I'd rather not do that.

j00t

Well of course, I mean I'm not saying quit your job. But I think it's worth taking some time to figure out if the benefits outweigh the hindrances.

j00t

Fair enough. What about the other stuff? Any recent changes in diet? Solid sleep? Any routines out of whack?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It really helps with the long hours
tongue.png

Only major recent diet change was I stopped drinking soda. I'm actually the same amount of sleep if not a bit more and routines aren't really out of whack.

I think it's just a big boy case of being home sick.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I've been living off Citalopram for about a half a year and it's working nicely. I suffer from clinical depression (recurring every few year or so), so it may not for people like tarrant (talking generally). I used to have a rushing thought that would keep me awake for days and shit. Not anymore though.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I've been living off Citalopram for about a half a year and it's working nicely. I suffer from clinical depression (recurring every few year or so), so it may not for people like tarrant (talking generally). I used to have a rushing thought that would keep me awake for days and shit. Not anymore though.
Citalopram can have some unpleasant adverse effects, sure, but they're a cost-effective for their segment. 100 pills of 20-40 mg is what, 10$? It's one of the SSRI AD's where the patent is free now.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I am getting $60 for 30 pills (prescription fee included). I have not yet noticed any unpleasant side effects (because anxiety level before this was insane).

I think there is a generic brand out there that is probably much cheaper.

TO CLARIFY AND FIX MY MISTAKE: Using Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I see. The prescription fee is payed via the public health insurance where I live. Obama health care should have your arse covered, no?
smile.png

Yes, the benefits must outweigh the adverse effects for it to be prescribed, that's a given. By definition, a drug with an effect can have an adverse effect. Not all perceive them, thankfully. It's related to genetics - receptors and metabolizing enzymes (cyp450 etc) - so one can't predict for every single patient, but for the vast majority.