Depression

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
People really seem to hate the sublingual formulation because it makes their mouth numb and it tastes bad.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner. I work in an outpatient clinic at a community mental health center. I thought I'd mentioned it before, sorry.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder. It can cause akathesia (extreme restlessness) and other motor side effects. There are a million others but those are fairly common.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I used to get some mild paranoia (house intrusion slightest noise affixated my attention to that and can't stop thinking about possibilities of the sound) and anxiety issues at work. Cipralex definitely reduced that and I barely get any paranoia nowadays. Anxiety stillcomes but mostly avoidable. Been having some constipation issues with 20 mg....

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
When I highly suspected that an old girlfriend (that I really liked) had BPD, I went to see a psychologist with her in a futile effort to save the relationship. Supposedly I had a "depressive personality type" (not depressed, depressive) and hers was "histrionic". Sarcasm, cynicism, apathy, planning for the worst case scenario all the time, thinking most people suck, carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, and a tendency to feel guilty for things I'm not responsible for were my defining characteristics.

He claimed that I would be essentially cursed to date/marry a histrionic/BPD/Manic type unless I kept coming to see him. According to him, since depressives don't feel much and are generally quiet/reserved, we subconsciously seek out highly emotional woman because it allows us to feel emotional extremes. Told him that sounded crazy because 1) the only emotional extreme they make me feel is anger/sadness/guilt, and I avoid those things at all costs and 2) I have no idea they're histrionic at the early relationship phase because they can hide it until they fall in love with you (when they can't suppress crazy anymore). He said come back for another session and he'd explain, but I never did.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
That's a weird thing for a psychologist to say. There is some evidence that there is an emotional type we gravitate to subconsciously, but not enough to predict that someone will gravitate toward someone even close to all of the time. Outright saying it is pseudosciency. I mean, most of my women have had daddy issues which I have never known till a month or more into a relationship and have been emotional too--but that could easily (and probably is) a function of a lot of women having daddy issues and being emotional.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I've kind of always wanted to be psycho analyzed by a professional. I'm curious about what the diagnosis would be, however I don't want to spend the money to find out. I know I'm not depressed but there is definitely something wrong with me. I'm practically bananas.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
So what's the scoop on Asenapine?
It's a hardcore antipsychotic that's rarely prescribed for anything related to depression. It is sometimes prescribed for bipolar disorder, but I don't think anyone would call it "first line" for bipolar. I don't think the clinics here prescribe it at all for bipolar because it causessevereanxiety, which triggers bipolar episodes in different ways. The only time I think it would be prescribed for bipolar disorder is for mania that resembled schizophrenia. Not first-line for schizophrenia either, only moderately successful at treating it.

More of a thing I think a practitioner or patient would try after trying at least 2-3 others, from at least 2 families of drugs.

Crazily

N00b
Got a prescription for Tramadol. It's a pain killer with anti-depressant properties. Been on it for a bout a week and it's been giving me a lot of energy and making me more talkative....

Crazily

N00b
..and an update. 1.5 weeks into tramadol I have decided to stop taking it. Been researching it and everyone is saying how horrible the withdrawals are. I believe I am feeling a bit of it this morning after only 1.5 weeks. I decided to stop taking it Friday, I woke up today (Sunday) and I feel like crying for no reason. I am sure it's related to this drug but god damn it sucks......stay away from this shit.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So I just got back a week ago from going out to see my family. Those that remember the last time I went out there is what sparked the creation of this thread.

This time, I'm doing much better with it. My dads health is improved, he almost died twice at the end and beginning of the year but now he's up and about and doing very well...just moves much slower and tiers out easily.

I'm having my moments with it, I'd rather be out there then where I am now any day...but this is how it has to be so I'll just continue to try and get home as often as possible.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
..and an update. 1.5 weeks into tramadol I have decided to stop taking it. Been researching it and everyone is saying how horrible the withdrawals are. I believe I am feeling a bit of it this morning after only 1.5 weeks. I decided to stop taking it Friday, I woke up today (Sunday) and I feel like crying for no reason. I am sure it's related to this drug but god damn it sucks......stay away from this shit.
Why would you stop taking the medication that was prescribed to you? Vanderhoof, since it's serotonin reuptake, can that also cause serotonin discontinuation syndrome (even though it's also norepinephrine)?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Don't go off your med cold turkey. Talk to your doctor(s).

Crazily

N00b
I decided to stop taking it because after researching the drug, there is a strong consensus that people quickly become dependent and addicted to this drug. On top of that, they say the withdrawal if you ever stop taking it is worse then heroin withdrawals. The reason for this is because you experience both an opiate withdrawal and a serotonin withdrawal at the same time and supposedly it can last for 7-14 days.

I tend to lean towards natural remedies and so on ..I don't like chomping down pills if I don't have to. It was something I tried.....and decided to pass on. That being said, the shit did make me feel amazing...but I don't want to be addicted/reliant on anything if I don't have to be.

I was taking it for pain...the AD part was just a bonus.

Been dating this really super pretty lady for about 5 or 6 weeks. Everything's been amazing, we have a truly primal attraction to each other, but I've noticed that she doesn't respond to sarcasm very well. So today she drops a bomb on me that she's bipolar, takes meds, which mostly work, but not completely effective all the time. I respond with "So does that mean you are going to stab me in my sleep if I snore too loud?" Apparently this comment was worse than Hitler gassing the Jews. She's tired of people thinking she's cray cray, no one takes it serious, blah blah... WTF bros? Wut do?
Run. Seriously. Just about every girl I've dated can be a complete bitch at that time of the month. I cannot imagine a bi-polar chick PMS-ing and then you accidentally set her off ...
frown.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
As part of my new regiment including mass infusion of steroids the Dr. put me on Lexapro which is an anti depressant. Anyone have any experience with it?