Desktop Computers

Jasker

brown please <Wow Guild Officer> /brown please
I really don't see playing it any other way than U2312 or 24 looking at other options. Great reviews, height, pivot, swivel, tilt which is something i pretty much require and basically nothing in the 120-180 offers. IPS. Ultra's last forever - have had my ultrasharp for 6 years now. I don't want a cheap $130 non IPS monitor I have to mount and wonder if pixels are dead when they show up then hassle with shipping back etc etc.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Asus N66U. Amazing signal strength. I thought my previous router was good, but this one is on another level. The built in VPN works well, too.
The router just arrived today, love it. Much stronger signal and setup was just ridiculously easy.

Also bought this UPS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842102082

Great UPS so far, simple and effective monitoring software, just plug the UPS into your PC via USB, even a handy little windows widget to give you real-time watt usage. Interesting to see my PC + dual 28" monitor setup idle at about 240watts (each monitor is 70w apiece when turned off/on), then seeing it ramp up to about 430 when stress-testing it with benchmark software that taxes my 660Ti video card. Plenty of room for growth with the 600W UPS.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The router just arrived today, love it. Much stronger signal and setup was just ridiculously easy.

Also bought this UPS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842102082

Great UPS so far, simple and effective monitoring software, just plug the UPS into your PC via USB, even a handy little windows widget to give you real-time watt usage. Interesting to see my PC + dual 28" monitor setup idle at about 240watts (each monitor is 70w apiece when turned off/on), then seeing it ramp up to about 430 when stress-testing it with benchmark software that taxes my 660Ti video card. Plenty of room for growth with the 600W UPS.
Believe I have that same one, and CyberPower was awesomely helpful when it died one day. No questions asked, got an RMA and had a brand new shipped to me before I even shipped out the old one.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Good to hear, all of the CyberPower UPSs had stellar reviews online, seems like a solid company.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Ive got a Ultrasharp U2312 and love it. A+++++++ recomendation.

I do wish i would have got the 2412 now that i have a bit more desktop space though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I have a processor question... I have, over the past few weeks, compiled all the components for my new build except the mo-bo and the processor. I have a micro center about a hour away that I was going to make a trip to next week. And they have the i5 2500K for $139 vs the i5 3570K for $189. Is the extra $50 going to give me that much more processing power vs just getting the 2500K?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Short answer, no. Grab the 2500k. For the motherboard I really like the features/performance/price of the Asrock Z77 extreme.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I know that graphic cards can't truely be compared perse, but can you guys give me a clue as to which GeForce card is comparable to aRadeon 7870 2GB?

That's what I'm currently running on this new custom built system (it's all on anMSI MSI Z77A-GD55). Was planning on getting another 7870 (same exact board) and Xfireing them with a bit of OCing.

All those plans are now falling through since the 13.1 Catalyst drivers all of a sudden cause 3D Studio Max 8 (yes I'm stuck with 8 do to some tools/exporters I can't get anymore). 12.11 Beta 2 drivers work fine, but for some reason the new 13.1-13.2 and all betas of them cause max to crash. Already reported to ATI/AMD but I doubt they'd give a shit since Autodesk only suports the latest versions of Max (2013) and that's probably who they'd point the fault to.

So I'm thinking, fuck AMD, and was planning on switching back (after 6 years) to NVidia.

I was thinking the 670.

Thanks for the help; and if anyone has any clue about my 3DS Max 8 situation (I'm using Service Pack 3 from autodesk), I'd be forever grateful. Tried using RadeonPro to trick it into using the older 12.11 drivers, but that didn't work. So right now stuck at 12.11, and I'm sure eventually games and stuff I play will want me to upgrade it to 13.1 or higher
frown.png

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
Wasn't sure where to post this but it's cool as fuck. Bunch of people in the countryside got fed up of waiting to be connected up to broadband, so they made their own fibre network and now get 1GBS symmetrical.

B4RN BBC News

I dunno what it's like in America, but in the UK one company had the rights to pretty much every PSTN telephone exchange for decades, so we got bent over by them when broadband came in.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What PSU?

Need quick help again pros!

Ok so I got:MSI GTX 670 OC 2GBon order.

Currently running anAntec 650 watt power supply
MB is anMSI Z77A-GD55.
16 GB DDR3 Ram (1 8GB Stick, 2x 4GB sticks)
2TB Seagate Baraccuda HDD
2TB WD "Green" HDD
External SSD 256GB which I rarely use currently.
i7 3770 3.4 Ghz Standard.
Zalman 310 Liquid cooler (pump + 1 fan)
3 120mm LED Fans.

I need another power supply for another gaming PC. That other PC won't be OCed or anything, it's all pretty much stock. So I thought I may as well get a Modular PSU for the above PC, and use the Antec on the other stock gaming PC. Thing is I'm wondering if 650watt should be enough for the PC I list above?
I was looking at this:Rosewill HIVE Series 650w modular PSU.

I've been OCing using the stock OC Genie II. It OCs the CPU from 3.4 to 4.10 ghz, I know it also OCs the GPU but I'm not sure what the specs are.

I punched all those numbers into theeXtreme Power Supply Calculatorand it tells me wattage usage is 368w but recomends 418w.

I'm planning on putting in another GTX 670.

Already running out of cash for this (do to having to buy the 670) so I'm running out of room. I could get a higher wattage I suppose, but I'm told that my current setup (including if I get the second 670 to SLI it) is more than enough with a 650 watt power supply. Will the Rosewill 650watt be good enough? What do you guys recommend?

I like the modular because the current Antec left me with a bunch of extra cables, case is a bit small,Cooler Master 431 Plus

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Thumbs up for the PCP&C. I have a 750W quad silencer edition that just won't die. I ran 3 x o/ced 6970 (full load 24/7 for bitcoin mining) on it for 6 months without a problem when a 800W Silverstone went poof in a few weeks with the same load.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I ended up getting the i5 3570K anyway. Micro center had this deal that if you buy the latest i5 or i7 you get $50 off for the mo-bo, so it ended up being a wash whether I get the i5 2500K or the i5 3570.

Anyone have any experience with OCing this thing? I did not run any tests or whatever, since it was like 4AM last night, but I OCed the thing to 4.4 and I got BSODs. So I throttled it back to 4.2 and, again without any testing, it seems to be working well. So Im assuming that OCing this thing is not as easy as it was on the i5 2500K. How did you guys OC? Did you have to fuck with the Vcore?

Another note, fuck yeah on the SSD. My bro gave me his old one which I cleaned and updated his firmware on. A cruicial C300 128GB. And man, I cant believe I held out on getting one of these for so long. Im definitely getting another for my other system (the wifes).