Desktop Computers

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Not sure what to change, but you really want an i5-3570k with that video card. Also, I'd go with a Samsung SSD, 830 if you can find some in stock, 840 if not.

spronk

FPS noob
I would not get that asus 27" monitor, 1920x1080 at 27" doesn't seem like a good deal. I bought a 27" 2560x1440 eBay monitor from korea a month ago for kids PC @ 349 and it looks stunning, no dead pixels and display is awesome. Gonna buy two more over the summer to do eyefinity I think.

celebrindal, your PC config looks great. I think you may be overspending on your GPU card, $550 for a 680 seems high. I have a evga 680 with 2gb running at 1098/1552/1163 and while its nice I moved up from a gtx 575 and quite honestly its not that big a difference. Yeah obviously its better but not blow-you-away or anything like that. imo its way, way, way better having a good SSD and tons of memory than a over-the-top GPU, I put in 32GB of memory and a 240gb samsung. You can use junction in windows 8 (mklink in cmd prompt) to junction drives on/off your C: drive.

I'd also get a 2 or 3TB drive instead of 1tb, fewer hard drives in the machine the quieter it is.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Thoughts on this build? $1500 is my limit. I have a keyboard/mouse/dvd drive/monitor already.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=21763432
If you have a Microcenter anywhere near you, buy your CPU and motherboard there(in-store) You get a $40 or $50 instant rebate for buying your mobo and CPU together. Back around Christmas I bought an i5 3570k($169) and ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo($99) for like $225 total. Their prices in-store were cheaper than their website advertised, plus the bonus instant rebate for buying the combo.

If you don't, still get the if 3570K processor as mentioned above.

I also agree with the Samsung SSD, or Intel.

If you are going over budget, drop the sound card, that's a wasted $30. That card does nothing that the onboard sound won't do.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
hey guys, i'm pretty much a computer building noob and need a little help deciding what to do with my setup.
PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant/Benchmarks

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler($32.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard:ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:Seagate SV35.5 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive($81.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage:Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk($224.99 @ Microcenter)
Case:Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case($71.37 @ Amazon)
Power Supply:SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive:LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total:$1016.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-01 15:44 EST-0500)

Reuse your video card and maybe your platter drives for storage. Also, depending on how much video stuff you do, you can opt for the i5 3570K instead of the i7, not sure how important that is for you.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just builthttp://amzn.com/w/1TG9FG57FFDTU- may not show mobo but was

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I already had 3 7970s so i tossed 2 into it. I plan to get 3http://www.amazon.com/MX279H-27-Inch...ywords=asus+mxlater this month.
For one CZ SSDs are terrible! they have like the worst failure rate out of any of the SSD manufacturers. Stay away from that shit.

2)That noctura or whatever the fuck its called heat sink is a waste of money, bro. Cooler master 212 is 1/2 the price and 98% the performance.

3)Im assuming you're a gamer, right? i7 over i5 has absolutely no significant gains in games. Wasted money there.

4)Sound card? WTF for, bro? Again, wasted money.

5)Full ATX case? Really? and for $180? are we stuck in the 90s here? there is absolutely no reason to buy a 200lb casket anymore. Mid atx at the most, and still you will have room left over.

Bro, you should of come here and got educated first before buying all that shit. You wasted hundreds of dollars.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
I would not get that asus 27" monitor, 1920x1080 at 27" doesn't seem like a good deal. I bought a 27" 2560x1440 eBay monitor from korea a month ago for kids PC @ 349 and it looks stunning, no dead pixels and display is awesome. Gonna buy two more over the summer to do eyefinity I think.

celebrindal, your PC config looks great. I think you may be overspending on your GPU card, $550 for a 680 seems high. I have a evga 680 with 2gb running at 1098/1552/1163 and while its nice I moved up from a gtx 575 and quite honestly its not that big a difference. Yeah obviously its better but not blow-you-away or anything like that. imo its way, way, way better having a good SSD and tons of memory than a over-the-top GPU, I put in 32GB of memory and a 240gb samsung. You can use junction in windows 8 (mklink in cmd prompt) to junction drives on/off your C: drive.

I'd also get a 2 or 3TB drive instead of 1tb, fewer hard drives in the machine the quieter it is.
Hard drive space I understand but 32gb of RAM? Isn't that just overkill? Can you honestly say its much improved than having 8gb?

I would like a high end gpu and I thought the 680 was one of the best out there.

I'll go to a micro center and pick up some stuff on Sunday, rest I will newegg. If anyone has any more input it would be appreciated, I will be starting my purchases tonight.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
680 is way overpriced for the 10% over the 670 you are getting. Dont waste your money. Especially on a video card that will depreciate drastically in the next 6 mos.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
680 is way overpriced for the 10% over the 670 you are getting. Dont waste your money. Especially on a video card that will depreciate drastically in the next 6 mos.
Agree, Also the EVGA 670 FTW 2 gig cards believe its New Egg comes with 3 kick ass games atm, rebate, uses less power, does not run as hot, also as been stated almost as good as 680.

If run 2-3 those cards there is no game cant run.

Also in next 3-4 monthes then new Next Gen Nvidia cards be coming out.

So you have those and others should drop little or alot.

spronk

FPS noob
Hard drive space I understand but 32gb of RAM? Isn't that just overkill? Can you honestly say its much improved than having 8gb?
32gb may be a little overkill but memory is pretty cheap and fuck going back in a year and swapping that shit out, its always in the worst place under the heat sink and shit. I also don't need a page file at all. You can also do some cool things with extra memory, like making RAM drives and copying game data files over for faster-than-SSD speeds, I did that for saints row 2 & 3 and it was awesome.

I just checked taskmgr and with just a few things running Win8 is currently using up 9g of memory, running wow and TERA too plus a few apps.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Ok, so I decided to go with the 670. With the money I saved, I went with 16GB over 8GB of RAM, the 3570 Ivy bridge and a 2TB over 1TB hard drive. I swapped out the Corsair SSD for a Samsung. Take a look at the build again and tell me what you guys think.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=21763432

Again, like I said, I already have a DVD drive, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor and Windows 8 Pro. I also have two External Hard Drives (3TB total)

Silence_sl

shitlord
Skip that CM chassis and get a Corsair. I have the same 690 CMII and it was shit out of the box. Last CM product I'll ever buy.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
What Silence said about the case and I'd get a better cpu cooler to able to take advantage of that 3570k. I'm a big fan of this modelThermalright HR-02(sorry, newegg doesn't seem to stock Thermalright anymore).Thisis a system I built for a friend with 90% identical specs (cable management was a work in progress and the case is aCorsair 550d).

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
By the way, I'm probably not going to Overclock, much, if at all. Not really interested in squeezing every last fps I can get into my games.

Silence_sl

shitlord
The 212 Evo will work fine on a mildly overclocked 3570K, assuming you aren't going crazy with volts. I have an older 212+ (non EVO) that handles my 4.3 GHz 3570K with no worries, so long as I don't run Prime95 or LinX for long periods.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
For one CZ SSDs are terrible! they have like the worst failure rate out of any of the SSD manufacturers. Stay away from that shit.

2)That noctura or whatever the fuck its called heat sink is a waste of money, bro. Cooler master 212 is 1/2 the price and 98% the performance.

3)Im assuming you're a gamer, right? i7 over i5 has absolutely no significant gains in games. Wasted money there.

4)Sound card? WTF for, bro? Again, wasted money.

5)Full ATX case? Really? and for $180? are we stuck in the 90s here? there is absolutely no reason to buy a 200lb casket anymore. Mid atx at the most, and still you will have room left over.

Bro, you should of come here and got educated first before buying all that shit. You wasted hundreds of dollars.
Just a lot of personal opinion here. My cpu sits at 37c while O'Cd to 4.4 which to me is good enough. I could understand if the money mattered and i was struggling to build a rig but i could build multiples a month and be fine. I know onboard sound is rather good but i need multiple sound sources thus i always get a card. Seems like your entire rebuttal was built around price, which doesnt matter. I was almost going to get the 6 core intel just because but decided not to.

That aside Ravens are great cases, aside from the Rv3 which looks terrible. I have 2 Rv1's and now the Rv2 and i am very content. I do however admit this is my first CZ SSD. i have a few Samsung's and even some older Mushkins which have never failed so thought i'd try something new. My first was a gskill that failed after a few months, and i was so disgusted i shattered it rather than RMA'd.

Sometimes you just want to splurge, but i dont regret it,...unless it breaks! The only failures of any hardware i've ever owned have been Gskill memory and Gskill SSDs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its one thing to splurge, I mean we all do it. But its another to be an idiot with your money. Comps are all about price vs performance. But whatever, I guess. As long as you are happy.