Desktop Computers

Myst

Peasant
Seems like I need to upgrade my video card now that I am using a 27inch @ 2560x1440. I currently have the Nvidia GTX570 2gig. What would be my best bet for 350-400$, If I wish to max out games?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Seems like I need to upgrade my video card now that I am using a 27inch @ 2560x1440. I currently have the Nvidia GTX570 2gig. What would be my best bet for 350-400$, If I wish to max out games?
I would think GTX770, the next step up is around 600.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
At 1440 a GTX770 will be a mix of Medium-High settings on extremely demanding games like BF4. Gonna need more horsepower to go Ultra/Maxed settings.

Myst

Peasant
At 1440 a GTX770 will be a mix of Medium-High settings on extremely demanding games like BF4. Gonna need more horsepower to go Ultra/Maxed settings.
I should've really researched that before getting a 27inch at 1440. I really don't feel like dropping another 700$ on this rig. Would a used GTX 570 in SLI be an option?

I'm used to playing on Max settings, and really don't want to take a step backward.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
SLI 660Tis / 760s would be perfectly suitable for high to ultra setting 1440p

Thats a roughly ~$400-$500 solution. I run SLI 3GB 660Tis at 1440P and they run everything great. 50-60FPS average in Battlefield 4, Tomb Raider, etc.

SLI'd 660Tis will outperform a Titan at resolutions up to 1600p

Gigabyte GeForce GTX Titan - Benchmarks: Far Cry 3, Max Payne 3
FC3_02.png

MP3_02.png

SLI'd 660Tis start to fall behind a Titan/780Ti in multi-monitor, high-resolution settings just because of the VRAM differences (Titan having 6GB, 660Ti having 2 or 3) but if you aren't going over 1440p or 1600p, they are great.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Apparently after looking online, 660Tis are pretty much discontinued, and stupid expensive in the few places that still have them in stock

760s are still plentiful, you could grab twoEVGA GeForce GTX 760 Suplerclocked Video Card - 2GB GDDR5,for a total of $500 and have performance better than a Titan at resolutions up to 1440p

Sucks that 660Tis are gone, they were under $200 back around Christmas, I grabbed my 2nd one for like $170

Myst

Peasant
Thank you for the input. I am strongly considering Sli 760s. Going to wait for a good deal and grab two.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Is there something about 760's that make them better at SLI? I'm not really super up to speed on cards..heh, I mainly rely on GPUboss to compare them.

It seems like the 760 is only about20-25% or so better than the 660. But it's 30% (70$) more expensive per card. Is it worth it with SLI? I don't know much about SLI--I've always done single card (Need to keep 4 computers at a gaming level in the house :p so I usually just buy last gen high price per performance singles).

Or is this just a specific case due to the 1440 res?

Curious because I'm upgrading two of the computers in my home; but the plan is to replace the entire comps next year, then I'm going to cannibalize the cards for SLI in mine. So if the 760's are just a better investment, I might splurge.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is no reason to go sli on a 1080p monitor. Either the 660 or the 760 will do you just fine for 1080p but the 660s are getting harder to find since they don't make them anymore. I cannot see any reason to go sli for a 1080p. They are taking about stepping it up to 1440p in the previous posts I which the 660 was a good SLI card because you could get them for $200 ea.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Cool, thanks. I'm giving my monitor to the wife when I do the new builds, so I'm going to be getting a 27' one, looks like it will work out.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
From Anandtech bench it looks like crossfire r9 270x's would be better than SLI 660's? The 270x isn't too far behind the 760gtx is most benchmarks and even surpasses it in some for only $208. I'm looking at buying a card, can anybody give a solid reason to pay an extra $50 for the 760GTX over the r9 270x? I don't see Radeon cards recommended here often so just curious. I know there has been the issue of Radeon cards being jacked up over MSRP due to mining, but it seems like the 270x can be had at near MSRP once again.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looking to build a new computer within the next few months,how does this look? Anything I should change for the same price or less that would be an improvement? Also, any 2.1 speaker suggestions for under $100? I heardtheseare pretty good.

Jovec

?
Looking to build a new computer within the next few months,how does this look? Anything I should change for the same price or less that would be an improvement? Also, any 2.1 speaker suggestions for under $100? I heardtheseare pretty good.
Quick notes: You don't need the MX4 - Noctua coolers come with very good TIM (NT-1). Regarding the cooler, it comes with 2 92mm fans IIRC - you may want to look into coolers that support 120 or 140mm fans for noise. Also, a 780ti is overkill for most everything at 1080 - you will probably be just as happy with a 780. If you don't need the threads, a 4670k will also perform quite well. Taken together, that's probably around $300 in price reduction.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok, I'll drop the MX4. The noise level of that cooler was listed as 7.9 - 17.6 dbA, which looked lower than a lot of others, which is partly why I chose it. I was thinking of the ti because the monitor I have in the build has g-sync up to 144 Hz, so higher FPS will benefit from that, right? And I also want a card that will last 4-5 years. This is the biggest thing I'm unsure of in the build though. That's a lot of money for a GPU, I've never bought a top-of-the-line one before. I picked the i7 over the i5 for future proofing also, in case more games start to benefit from threads, and I thought it might be beneficial for photo and video editing, which I do often.

Jovec

?
Ok, I'll drop the MX4. The noise level of that cooler was listed as 7.9 - 17.6 dbA, which looked lower than a lot of others, which is partly why I chose it. I was thinking of the ti because the monitor I have in the build has g-sync up to 144 Hz, so higher FPS will benefit from that, right? And I also want a card that will last 4-5 years. This is the biggest thing I'm unsure of in the build though. That's a lot of money for a GPU, I've never bought a top-of-the-line one before. I picked the i7 over the i5 for future proofing also, in case more games start to benefit from threads, and I thought it might be beneficial for photo and video editing, which I do often.
I suppose my comment on cooling was incomplete. If you move up to a bigger cooler, you will get more cooling for a given DBA level, or the same cooling for a lower DBA level. That's not to say that you won't be happy the UB9 (I have 2). Those fans are 3-pin also (no 4-pin PWM), so if you want the MB to control the fan speeds make sure it can via voltage, otherwise you can use the LNA and ULNA adapters to set a fixed fan speed, but it won't ramp up or down as the load increases or decreases. Finally, the Haswell i7 can run hot if you plan to OC - if you do plan to, then a 120mm+ cooler may better serve you.

On the 780 ti, yes, it will provide a higher FPS at 1080 with G-sync. Up to you to decide if the cost is worth it.

i5 vs i7 - sounds like the i7 will be useful to you. If you do a lot of editing you may want to consider 16GB of RAM (or more), since I'd imagine that to be RAM intensive.

As to future proofing, who can say?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And I also want a card that will last 4-5 years.
This is a futile goal, you can't buy a video card today that will still be good, by itself, in 4-5 years. Not unless you are ok playing games on bare minimum settings with everything turned off at that point in time, or if you play the same MMO for 5 years that never upgrades its engine, and that's all you play.

If you are gaming at 1080p, spend $250-$350 on a card and you'll be fine for possibly 2 years, then ditch it and do the same again in 2 years. You could spend $700 right now on a 780ti, but it isn't going to last you twice as long as a $300 770. Once you get past that ~$350 price mark on video cards you're seeing worse and worse diminishing returns for the extra dollars you are spending. Maybe the 780ti lasts you 3 years, but it's going to be really showing its age pretty badly by that point in new games, that'll be stretching it.

Whatever the current card is at the ~$300 price point 2 years from now will absolutely smoke a 780ti, I guarantee that.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Whatever the current card is at the ~$300 price point 2 years from now will absolutely smoke a 780ti, I guarantee that.
Nah. It'd be about equal. Compare a 760 to a 580. They're about equal. Also if you play high resolution or multi-monitor high end cards are almost required.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So basically wait two years, buy a middle of the range graphics card, then play the old game you wanted to play on ultra two years ago, with the newly purchased card.