Desktop Computers

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok, maybe 4-5 years is pushing it, but 2-3 would be nice. And I want to be able to play the current stuff on ultra with 60+ FPS, something I've never been able to do. I'm thinking maybe a regular 780 will be good enough for that?

Does anyone have experience with G-sync? Can you set the Hz = 2x FPS, for games where you won't be getting over 72 FPS?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So basically wait two years, buy a middle of the range graphics card, then play the old game you wanted to play on ultra two years ago, with the newly purchased card.
There's nothing a 770 can't play on ultra at 1080p right now. Yeah, maybe you occasionally dip down into the 50s or high 40s for FPS in a game before you bounce back up into the 60+ range. Not a big deal. I can deal with spending a small % of my time slightly under 60FPS and spend $300 on a card rather than $700.

People anymore act like games are unplayable if they go under 60FPS. They aren't. As long as you're staying over 30FPS when there's big action going on, you're fine.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Also Ultra is way overrated. Turn some shit down. Do you really have to have shadow detail to 100% to enjoy your game? Most of the time you will not see a difference between high and ultra in games.

At the end of the day its your money and your choice what you will do with it. But the common sense thing to do is get middle of the range cards which are the best bang for your dollar. At 1080p I have the 280x ( 5% weaker than a 770GTX) that I got for $300 when I saw a deal pop up on Dealnews a while back. I can play BF4 on high, no not ultra, but high, at 80-100fps. Planetside 2 in major battles 100+ people I get 60-70fps on all high (they dont have ultra) except for shadow detail I set to med, because I dont give a shit about shadow detail and I heard that its a huge performance hog in that game. In shooters I would rather have the graphics turned down and maintain 60+FPS than all the bells and whistles on high/ultra and struggle at 30FPS.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I feel like you and I are a broken record mkopec, I think we make this case on roughly every other page of this thread, lol.

Jovec

?
Does anyone have experience with G-sync? Can you set the Hz = 2x FPS, for games where you won't be getting over 72 FPS?
I don't have experience with G-sync, but I'm not sure what you are driving at. G-sync effectively locks your monitor refresh to your frame output. You wouldn't need to set anything, it will dynamically adjust based on your GPU's ability to render each frame.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Any good mouse recommends? My really old G500 is giving up the ghost, and I'm interested in anything that isn't Razer. The new G500's have a really bad sensor, so they are out.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I've got one of these clicky keyboards....Gigabyte Quickfire Rapid or whatever. Had it for a month? Still not all all used to it.

Anyway, my girlfriend went all myoclonic on it with a glass of wine. Some Windex, a can of bottled air, and it is as good as new. Fucking thing was stuck to the desk with congealed wine...now? Perfect. Pretty cool little keyboard. Wine would have insta-killed membrane boards.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't have experience with G-sync, but I'm not sure what you are driving at. G-sync effectively locks your monitor refresh to your frame output. You wouldn't need to set anything, it will dynamically adjust based on your GPU's ability to render each frame.
Nevermind, I didn't think that one through. Leaning towards maybe just a 780 now, instead of the ti. And sure I could get a 760 or 770 for a lot less, and turn down a few settings, but I want to experience playing new games on the highest settings, and see how I like it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Waste of money bro. Unless you have 1440p or higher 3 screen resolution type shit. For 1080p its like strapping a rocket engine to a pinto.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
To piggyback Mkopec's statements. I just got a 760 like he recommended and there hasn't been a game I've played yet that couldn't handle everything turnt up. I haven't played battlefield which seems like it would be the true test, but bioshock, eqnl, dota 2, and planetside all ran flawlessly.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
XP bros:

Just a heads up Microsoft has sent out an virus definition that crashes XP. There is a fix for it, but if the computer is crashing you will need to put it into Safe Mode, walk the customer through disabling the Microsoft Antimalware Service and restart then go tohttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&arch=x86and download definitions. Run mpam-fe.exe after it downloads then start the Microsoft Antimalware Service and check under the update tab in Microsoft Security Essentials for Definition Version 1.171.67.0

Thanks M$

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
XP bros:

Just a heads up Microsoft has sent out an virus definition that crashes XP. There is a fix for it, but if the computer is crashing you will need to put it into Safe Mode, walk the customer through disabling the Microsoft Antimalware Service and restart then go tohttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&arch=x86and download definitions. Run mpam-fe.exe after it downloads then start the Microsoft Antimalware Service and check under the update tab in Microsoft Security Essentials for Definition Version 1.171.67.0

Thanks M$

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow. I actually still have XP.

Luckily I'll be using my refund money to purchase a new PC so Windows 8 here I come.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm still a Win7 user/holdout, probably the majority of this forum still is I suppose?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'm a little out of the loop on routers these days. My brother received a free router with a SlickDeals package with a modem. Modem is great, router sucks balls. Can anyone recommend a router for a house that runs netflix/games/streaming at the same time and must have decent wireless. He doesn't have a massive house or anything but the current one just plain sucks balls.