Desktop Computers

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sup bros, my motherboard is giving out on me so the only choice is to rebuild a new PC.

Currently I have a modified

With a water cooling system. It works great but there's too much dust everywhere and I want to engineer a system that is resilient to dust.

What I'd really like to do is have a computer case with a singular air input and a singular air output. The air input or output (Doesn't matter much to me which one) must be close in footprint to this 120mm x 240mm radiator:

Which I use in my water cooling system. My goal is to build a system where air only enters one way and I have an air filter that I can easily remove and clean off.

Any ideas on a good case for that? Otherwise I'll continue to use my stacker830 which is great.
I'd get thisCM Stacker 830 Side Dust Filter
and disable the stupid hard drive fan in front. Can also measure any other intakes you have and see if they have filters that would cover the area.

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
Why do people love the Fractal cases so much? It's a plain 'minimalistic' case.
The fractals have good dust filters and cable management space. I use a Silverstone myself, but it's not made for water-cooling. If i gave a shit about water cooling i'd go with a Fractal define xlr2 or the NZXT H440 if you justhaveto have a window and lights to jerk off on. >;p

Here's the H440 if you want the bring bring Tucohttp://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/1...mid-tower.html

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You won't find any projectors(or at least affordable ones) that have a higher resolution than 1080p. Sony has a 4K projector that is about $20,000.

If you are going to be gaming at 1080p, there is absolutely no need to spend 3 grand on a PC. In the build that Abefroman listed above, you're going to be pushing 200FPS in new games. It's total overkill.

Honestly, I'd take that build, but just change the video card. At the very least, scale it back to a single 780Ti and save $700. I'd even consider scaling it back to a 770 and save $1000. Sock that money away to buy a new video card in 3 years. Even the 780Ti will need to be upgraded within 3 years. You can't spend enough on a video card today to make it still be great in 4 or 5 years. It just isn't possible. So plan your upgrade strategy now.
I second this. A single 780Ti will be absolutely fine for 1080p. Plus you should also consider an 840 Evo Pro vs the regular Evo line of SSD.

Intel will be releasing their new Haswell refresh CPUs on May 11th. I would wait for those to hit the street. The new chips usually come out at the same pricepoints as the old. Intel's new Z97 motherboard chipset should arrive around the same time.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Still unsure on my build, if Z97 is just around the corner I will have to wait and check those out. But I'm in love with theCorsair 540 case, will definitely be going that route, probably adding 3 NoctuaNF-F12 PWM 120mmand 3xNF-A14 PWM 140mmfans. I've also settled on the NH-D14 for cooling, even though I initially wanted something smaller.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Still unsure on my build, if Z97 is just around the corner I will have to wait and check those out. But I'm in love with theCorsair 540 case, will definitely be going that route, probably adding 3 NoctuaNF-F12 PWM 120mmand 3xNF-A14 PWM 140mmfans. I've also settled on the NH-D14 for cooling, even though I initially wanted something smaller.
Yeah, just around the corner...like soon.

AnandTech | Upcoming Intel Based Motherboards from GIGABYTE, ASUS, MSI and ASRock

Also, Intel's revamped K parts are coming in first week of June. They are using soldered TIM instead of the paste in the current parts. Easy thing to wait for that.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Has it been confirmed it's soldered? The only wording I have seen used repeatedly is "improved TIM".

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Save money buy this, then make sure you use it regularly. I've tried every iteration of a dust "resilient" build and can't find one for my environment. So I said fuck it and created a dusting schedule for my machines.
rrr_img_65592.jpg
LOL, I take my box to the garage, plug in the air compressor, and blow some air on my shit like every three or so months. Works like a charm.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Has it been confirmed it's soldered? The only wording I have seen used repeatedly is "improved TIM".
Nah, not confirmed. Either they have done away with IHS/CPU gap variation or they've gone back to soldering for the K models. Since they still use soldering on E models, it's a cinch to assume they are using it again on the K units.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here's a good video card deal if anyone is looking to upgrade in the midrange, or SLI/crossfire to get high-end performance

Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Video Card - 3GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16), 1x Dual-Link DVI-D, 1x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x DisplayPort, 1x HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, Dual Fan, (11196-19-20G) at TigerDirect.com

$199 for an 3GB 7950. Performance on par with a 660ti/760, slap 2 of them together in crossfire and you have performance on par with a 780ti for $200-$300 less. Would be really nice performance for anything up to 1440p/1600p resolutions.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I decided I'm too lazy to get a new case and I probably wouldn't get it to work the way I wanted anyway.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
LOL, I take my box to the garage, plug in the air compressor, and blow some air on my shit like every three or so months. Works like a charm.
I've seen people blow capacitors right off their motherboard doing stuff like that.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well obviously you cant be stupid about it. I set it at about 30-40 psi and hold the nozzle at at least 12 in away. Been doing it for years on all my systems and I have not broke one yet.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Just want to get opinions on a couple of cases. I'm going with a super tower and just wanted to get feedback on the corsair 900d and the cosmos 2. I'm torn on which one to get. If you guys have these cases could you just give me a couple of pro's and con's to each one. I read the reviews on newegg and amazon but I trust your opinions more here.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I'm thinking about upgrading my comp but don't want to spend time building/finding parts for it. Any places online sell quality (cheap) prebuilt comps? Don't tell me to go find the parts and build one. Nobody got time for that.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just buy a barebones PC from Microcenter or any website that sells parts like Newegg or Tigerdirect. Then you'll have to swap out the video card, add an SSD, reinstall Windows, etc.

At that point you could just build one for not much more effort, and a lot less money

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm thinking about upgrading my comp but don't want to spend time building/finding parts for it. Any places online sell quality (cheap) prebuilt comps? Don't tell me to go find the parts and build one. Nobody got time for that.
Barebones is good. I have a lot of friends and relatives order from AVAdirect. Don't build with their "gaming PC" tab, instead use the desktop tab, and you'll get a wider selection of parts for cheaper. AVA uses all name brand parts you can select, and it's only about 10% more expensive than building it on your own (Less even, if you buy your own graphics card and put it in), and they come standard with a 3 year warranty.

The computers I've seen built from there all have good parts, and are put together well. It's the only shop I know that comes close enough in price to do it yourself that I'd actually be tempted to use. A few months ago when I checked, I started with the 500$ desktop, and swapped the Mboard, Processor, Ram, PS and got a 660$ computer; I looked up the parts separately and it came to 620$ (Then I told my buddy to just order the graphics card for newegg and slot it himself, since their mark up on graphics cards is about 20%).