Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
On the post above noticed mine was set to AHCI by default so hopefully everything is as it should be. Sure seems so.
yea ahci on a new install is perfectly fine, it only comes fucked up when you're transferring old OS and systems over, thats where you should downgrade to ide/sata for max compatibility and then step up to ahci.

but for new installs, straight ahci is fine.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So it is looking more and more like the Nvidia 970 is the new sweet spot for price/performance. $330 card that outperforms an AMD 290x and Nvidia 780 at 1080p to 1440p resolutions(by a significant margin). AMD still holds its own at 4K pretty well(depending on the game) due to that huge memory bandwidth advantage, but at worse, you could say the 970 is "on par" with a 290x at 4K resolutions, since it is better in some games, and behind the 290x in others.

AnandTech | The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Review: Featuring EVGA

Spoiler - lots of pics of benchmark graphs from the article
67894.png

67897.png

67911.png

67885.png

And when comparing the 970 vs the 980, it looks like the 970 is never more than 10% slower, often only a couple percent slower, and its basically $200 cheaper.

Now, good luck finding a 970 in stock anywhere, they are selling out everwhere fast.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I generally like PC Gamer(subscribed to the magazine for a decade + back in the 90s and 2000s) but I don't like their hardware reviews at all. For example, look at this graph:
CompanyOfHeroes-610x206.png

Looking at the bars, you'd think "holy hell, that Gigabyte 970 is terrible, its like half the speed of the 290x listed at the top) But when you look at the numbers, you're talking 16fps vs 14fps. The ratio of the size of the graphs is incredibly misleading.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Never looked into purchasing a card so soon after release, so is it a pretty safe bet the GTX 970 will be sold out at most retailers for a month or two unless I get lucky? Really surprised that it's nearly double the performance of my Radeon 7950 across the board.

Oldbased

> Than U
Never paid much attention to audio options on the motherboards thinking it was all just bullshit.
Totally amazed at the sound difference between my old one and new one. Both use Realtek but this one has the high end audio caps, light traces, hd audio with amp.
My z560 13 year old speakers playing the same music as old MB sound 100 times better. Everything is so crisp and I can hear like every little thing in the music now.

Now I am thinking of a media pc for the living room as we mostly play music in there.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Never paid much attention to audio options on the motherboards thinking it was all just bullshit.
Totally amazed at the sound difference between my old one and new one. Both use Realtek but this one has the high end audio caps, light traces, hd audio with amp.
My z560 13 year old speakers playing the same music as old MB sound 100 times better. Everything is so crisp and I can hear like every little thing in the music now.

Now I am thinking of a media pc for the living room as we mostly play music in there.
Yeah, there can be a pretty big difference in audio quality even with the same chip across different motherboards.

This is another reason to buy a decent motherboard. Cheap motherboards need another $125 in good NIC, sound, and wifi to be useful.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I agree. The $180-210 dollar motherboards are almost always a massive improvement over the $110-120 dollar motherboards. I will never purchase a motherboard without an Intel or Qualcomm NIC.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya the Qualcomm is nice as well, I haven't run many tests on that yet but the killer nic chipset does seem more responsive.
Don't think I could have done better on the MB for the price. Z97X gaming 5 for $140 and exceeded every expectation I had so far.
Edit- Only complaint I had after everything was I didn't plan out for USB very well.
The MB has 4 rear USB 2.0 and 4 rear 3.0s.
All 2.0 are full due to mouse/keyboard/printer and APC battery system.
The rosewill case has 2 front usbs+1 3.0 usb.
My old case had 4 front usb.
I can plug in both tablet and phone on front but I also charged up ecigs and other things there and I guess I need to look into a hub or something now.
I have nothing that uses 3.0 however yet.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hook your printer up to some other computer.

Fuck printer drivers. The last printer I had made it so apps wouldn't launch as administrator without forcing them explicitly. I threw the fucker in the trash and haven't hooked a printer up to my gaming PC ever since.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ya the Qualcomm is nice as well, I haven't run many tests on that yet but the killer nic chipset does seem more responsive.
Don't think I could have done better on the MB for the price. Z97X gaming 5 for $140 and exceeded every expectation I had so far.
Edit- Only complaint I had after everything was I didn't plan out for USB very well.
The MB has 4 rear USB 2.0 and 4 rear 3.0s.
All 2.0 are full due to mouse/keyboard/printer and APC battery system.
The rosewill case has 2 front usbs+1 3.0 usb.
My old case had 4 front usb.
I can plug in both tablet and phone on front but I also charged up ecigs and other things there and I guess I need to look into a hub or something now.
I have nothing that uses 3.0 however yet.
you probably want a powered usb hub that connects to the outlet since you want to charge so many devices.

Amazon.com: powered usb hub: Electronics

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya I thought about that, last night I ended up with
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-120-_-Product
Even after the case plugins I still had enough on motherboard for this plus it gives this pc card reader since I didn't transfer it over.

Now if I could just figure out how to get MS office off old pc and onto this one.
I checked my digital river/MS account and my key isn't listed on there. MS suggested I sign up for some monthly/yearly shit.
Why the fuck would I do that when I already purchased it years ago.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just installed a gigabyte G1 GTX 970. Thing rapes my old GTX 680.
Man if these things were like $30 cheaper I might replace my 670 SLI with two of these. Maybe by the time Thanksgiving / Christmas rolls around there will be stock and some good deals.