Desktop Computers

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
I'm building a gaming PC. It's a while since last, and although I've tried to read up on the different components I would much appreciate any feedback on the following setup:

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 III Sort
Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 7, Socket-1150
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
Gfx: Gainward GeForce GTX 970 4GB PhysX CUDA
HDD1: Seagate Barracuda? 2TB
HDD2: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" OEM
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 16GB Black
PSU: Cooler Master V650S, 650W PSU

Thanks!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
"HDD2: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" OEM""

No. That thing is literally a grab bag of whatever chips and controllers Kingston had lying around that day.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
"HDD2: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 2.5" OEM""

No. That thing is literally a grab bag of whatever chips and controllers Kingston had lying around that day.
Thanks, removed from cart.

Otherwise nothing that screams bad?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would get the ASUS, Gigabyte or EVGA GTX 970 over a Gainward... I haven't owned a Gainward in 10 years, I didn't even remember they were still around.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
No EVOs in stock. How is
HyperX Fury SSD 240GB 2,5"

Replaced with an EVGA
Kingston HyperX is a solid SSD. All things being equal, I'd still prefer a Samsung if given the choice, but Kingston is real close in quality & reliability. If I couldn't get a Samsung, my 2nd choices would be Crucial, Kingston, or Intel, whichever one of those 3 had the best price/size ratio at the time of purchase.

Perramas_sl

shitlord
Nice SSD just bought one, thanks for the link Mist.

Anyone know if the Mad Katz RAT3 is any good? I can get a brand new one for $30.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have one of those 850 Evo drives coming tomorrow. I've milked every dollar out of my current PC (core2 duo). I picked up everything but a monitor and GPU for 800 bucks. The video card is the only thing I've upgraded in 5 years, so I'll keep that another few months or a year.

Silence_sl

shitlord

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
In case anyone was interested, the asus Rog 20 seems like a disappointment at its current price point. I saw the case and though narrow its really too tall and takes away from its 'console' design attempts. It won't fit in a lot of console cabinets. Also the fact it needs two external power supplies is a big negative. The model also ships and is mainly being sold with a gtx760 which, while a good card , at 1200$ i would have expected a 770. By way of comparison, 6 months ago a nightblade barebones with equivalent internals except a gtx 770, cost about the same or slightly less, with the added benefit of being shorter if fatter, and managed to squeeze in an internal pwr supply

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I'm looking at finally taking the plunge to a SSD over a regular one and wanted opinions on if what I'm considering is a good idea. My setup right now is:

C:\ - Boot drive, 500GB regular, almost full
D:\ - 60GB SSD, just have WoW and a couple other small games on here. Not a priority to upgrade right now
E:\ - 2TB regular, used for storage and starting to get full

I was looking at this:1TB Samsung 850Evo SSD 3D NAND FLASHwhich is roughly 4x the price but also 4x the storage space of the one Mist linked above. It would replace my C:\ which is about full. Outside of price considerations, is there any technical reason this would be a bad idea?

Next question, if I get the drive above is there an easy way to image my C:\ onto the SSD so when I swap them and restart it's like nothing changed?

Last question, any recommendations on a new storage drive to replace my E:\, or will any old 4TB or 6TB drive do?