Desktop Computers

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Should I just wait for the Skylake CPUs that will come out next year?
No one even knows if Skylake is going to come in a flavor suitable for performance desktop.

Only one known Skylake variant has a TDP of 95W, putting it in the range of a gaming CPU.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Went to microcenter and bought the proc/mobo/gpu.

Now I just need to get a few remaining things.

I'm leaning away from:
Amazon.com: Corsair Obsidian Series Black 550D Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011015-WW): Computers Accessories

And more toward:
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

I just can't justify the $100 price difference when I don't need the extra room.
The obsidian case is much nicer though. In this case you really get what you pay for. What motherboard/cpu/gpu did you get?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
i7 4790k, gigabyte gtx 970, asus a97 ar

Not sure if I like the gigabyte version of the gtx970 now that I have it. The heat sink system seems a little hodgepodge, but whatever it seems fine. Keeps the GPU at 60C under 100% load and the fans only hit like 70% speed.

What do people use for benchmarks these days? I tried furmark and got a score that's 20% of what the top score for my graphics card is, so I don't know what to think.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Not sure if I like the gigabyte version of the gtx970 now that I have it. The heat sink system seems a little hodgepodge, but whatever it seems fine. Keeps the GPU at 60C under 100% load and the fans only hit like 70% speed.

What do people use for benchmarks these days? I tried furmark and got a score that's 20% of what the top score for my graphics card is, so I don't know what to think.
I think you're doing something wrong if that's the case.

Silence_sl

shitlord

Furmark used to be good for melting down expensive hardware.
smile.png

Read other 970 reviews to see where your PC stands, and look at what benchmarks they are using and see if you have any they are using.

Google

I haven't benched a card in along time...it's almost impossible these days to screw something up so horribly that a new install performs badly. As flimsy as you think that heatsink is, don't worry about it. 60C is plenty cool.

Jovec

?
I believe AMD and Nvidia both intentionally throttle their GPUs when they detect Furmark is running.

Unigineseems popular as a GPU benchmark (aside from games). Heaven and Valley are the latest ones AFAIK.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Furmark is a great tool for proving to Dell that your laptop's GPUs are fucked. Regardless of their state, they will be dead by the time you're done with Furmark. It's a beautiful thing when you have a warranty.

The best part is, the last time I had to run it, the tech actually seemed confused when it started to literally melt both video cards.

That aside, 3DMark is still decent, mostly because it has a huge following and therefore a lot of comparison data.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, for a free benchmark, Unigine is good, both Valley and Heaven

Somewhat recent games that have built-in benchmarking tools:
Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor
Tomb Raider
Bioshock Infinite
Resident Evil 5
Metro: Last Light
Batman Arkham Origins

I pretty much constantly leave Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite installed just for benchmarking my PC when I make a hardware/ocerlock change.

Fadaar

That guy
Went to microcenter and bought the proc/mobo/gpu.

Now I just need to get a few remaining things.

I'm leaning away from:
Amazon.com: Corsair Obsidian Series Black 550D Mid Tower Computer Case (CC-9011015-WW): Computers Accessories

And more toward:
Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

I just can't justify the $100 price difference when I don't need the extra room.
Pussy, get the 900D!

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Can someone grab me a kit and I'll paypal them the money ? Got a friend with mail forwarding in the US so you won't have to bother with international shipping & shit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Wish I could help you out man, but my Paypal account has been in limbo forever, someone tried to hack into it(Paypal sent me a suspicious activity email) and they won't give me access back to it without faxing them all sorts of personal crap like my drivers license and other documents. So...I don't use paypal anymore :/

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Dealing with a PNY rebate is a serious no-thankyou.
Are they one of those companies that tries to entice you to take like 25% off the rebate amount and they'll process it and send it to you quick, otherwise you have to wait for 3 months? I hate that crap.