Desktop Computers

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The background is more (almost) black than a really dark burgundy like it is on other monitors I use. I guess I can't remember off hand what it looks like on my work monitors - but the two Dell's it is nearly flat black. Once I got the ASUS all calibrated and set up it is pretty darn close to it but still has a little smidge of a dark-red/burgundy tint to it.

After getting it mostly all tweaked out last night, I can't give it enough of a fly colors review. It fucking rocks for gaming.

Fadaar

That guy
The background is more (almost) black than a really dark burgundy like it is on other monitors I use. I guess I can't remember off hand what it looks like on my work monitors - but the two Dell's it is nearly flat black. Once I got the ASUS all calibrated and set up it is pretty darn close to it but still has a little smidge of a dark-red/burgundy tint to it.

After getting it mostly all tweaked out last night, I can't give it enough of a fly colors review. It fucking rocks for gaming.
What color settings you using? On the monitor settings I'm using the Warm color temp, 75 brightness, 50 contrast and Nvidia settings the "Other applications can control settings option" which seems to be the same as 50% brightness/contrast and 1.00 gamma.

Kinda sucks it's a TN panel so you actually have to deal with getting the viewing angle right and I miss having the clarity of the glass screen of the Korean IPS monitors. Maybe in the near future they'll get some affordable G-Sync IPS monitors out there.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Acer's monitor that is coming out soon is an IPS that is 1440p/144 hz/G-Sync enabled. I posted about it a couple days back. Should be good.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'll be in the market for a new monitor soon, I was looking at that Asus and Acer. I'm waiting for the Acer to come out and get some reviews before I decide.

The Asus is 1ms, the Acer is 4ms, not sure how much of an impact that will have vs getting better color.

But it will definitely be one of those two.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4ms is nothing for an IPS monitor. Pretty much as good as it gets. The tradeoffs for TN are far too great for me. Desperately awaiting a >/= 27" IPS 1440p / Gsync, and I really don't care about the price. I just want perfection without all the tradeoffs either way.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are there significant benefits to a 144hz Gsync monitor if your setup can't put out 144FPS in the games you play? That's a pretty lofty framerate for new games on ultra settings. Sure, you can hit that at peak numbers, but to average that is quite difficult without $1000 worth of video cards.

Just curious if a 144hz Gsync monitor would do much for me if I'm typically in the 30-60FPS range in most of the games I play (1440p, ultra settings)

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
From what I understand, that's the point of gsync. The monitor adapts and syncs to fps, so you don't need to try to get fixed fps that matches your refresh.

That said, you don't want FPS dropping below 60 or it'll still look like crap? Or at some point there's got to be a low-end cuttoff? But it might be as low as 30fps. Not sure on that.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I haven't done any research on Gsync, so I'm clueless as to what the huge advantage is, and if there's a "sweet spot" or a minimum for effective performance.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Gsync is going to help at any FPS, because you're actually seeing every single frame, no torn half frames, no leftover frame from last refresh, etc.

Whether 144 hz is really useful at 1440p is another question entirely. That's why I'm waiting for the 16nm GPU chips, hoping that they're a large leap up from the current boards.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
G-Sync has a cut-off at 30 FPS. Anything below 30 FPS and it will switch to V-Sync automatically. Go back above it, and G-Sync will turn back on. There is an LED indicator on the bottom of the monitor that has a few difference colors to tell you what mode it is in (G-Sync = red, Normal = white, etc). I've only tested it in League of Legends and CS:GO at max settings so far with my 780 Ti - which both of those games are far from demanding so I stayed at 144 FPS the entire time. The graphics are so beautiful on this thing with G-Sync going it is nuts.

The huge advantage to G-Sync is the butter smooth graphics you get with it - no screen tearing, no jitteriness, nothing. IMO it was like jumping from HDD to SSD in terms of noticeable changes to my *gaming* experience. If you don't game there's really no point to having it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, well, if you're running games at less than 30 fps you need to be re-evaluating where you're spending your computing dollars.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gsync is going to help at any FPS, because you're actually seeing every single frame, no torn half frames, no leftover frame from last refresh, etc.

Whether 144 hz is really useful at 1440p is another question entirely. That's why I'm waiting for the 16nm GPU chips, hoping that they're a large leap up from the current boards.
That means 2016 for an nVidia chip after their announced delays.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah, well, if you're running games at less than 30 fps you need to be re-evaluating where you're spending your computing dollars.
Agreed 100%.

I can't wait to try this thing out tonight on something like BF4 or a game that actually stresses my 780 Ti. I really can't stress how fucking awesome it is though. Keep in mind I went from a 1920x1200 Dell U2412M (60 Hz) to the PG278Q 2560x1440 with G-Sync and 144 Hz so the jump from 60 Hz to 144 Hz and resolution has something to do with it as well but wooo it is nice.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I didn't happen to notice the 960 was the same price, thanks! That's why I posted the list, to catch all my fuckups.