Desktop Computers

darkmiasma

Trakanon Raider
Preferably in the NAS, just so it wasn't tied to a single PC. If you just want a single drive for storage, the WD Blue should be perfectly fine.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If all you're using it for is long-term storage, Green is fine, even. Just don't ever put it in a RAID, ever.

Jovec

?
I'd get NAS drives (or at least, non-gimped-for-RAID) drives even for single drive storage, since you will have more options to use the drive in a NAS role later. The price difference is like $10/TB fro green/red WD.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
+1, didn't realize they were that close in price now. Maybe I should stock up on Reds.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
microcenter has 970 for $145 on sale, while maybe not a great card if you are in the 5xx-7xx series still it seems like a cheap upgrade. in store price only unfortunately, you can order online and pick up in less than an hour tho
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._20_Video_Card

will be fixed/sold out fast
Holy god, I need to run to Microcenter on my lunch break, that's the most insane price error I've seen in a long time. That's $200 off, that card normally sells for $330-$350

edit - damn, my local microcenter is already sold out. Could easily flip those on ebay for a nice $150 profit apiece, at least.

edit2 - I think they caught the error. When you add it to cart and proceed to check out, it gives you a "Removed items that are inactive or no longer available" message. That was just too good to be true

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My 2TB WD external drive was making a ticking noise while playing Chivalry off of it last night. I think it's time to invest in a new internal 1TB before it finally dies.

Jovec

?
Boo hiss. 970 came in today. the OC on my box shat itself before I could install the card.

Now it won't run OC'd at all.
What CPU and how is the OC done? A bclk/htt OC is more likely to cause issues than a pure multi OC. I suppose it's possible that your original OC wasn't all that stable to begin with, and the 970 is pushing your CPU harder than your old GPU.

Silence_sl

shitlord
What CPU and how is the OC done? A bclk/htt OC is more likely to cause issues than a pure multi OC. I suppose it's possible that your original OC wasn't all that stable to begin with, and the 970 is pushing your CPU harder than your old GPU.
3570k. Bclk/htt were left stock. It's been running for 2 years dead stable, then BSOD the other day. BSOD this morning after turning it on. It didn't even get to login on Windows. As I said, it started happening before I put the 970 in. Only thing left to try is more volts after I try a memory swap, even though it passed Memtest.

I know how to fix it, it's just a pain that it started going bananas the day my new card was set to arrive.
rolleyes.png

Also, Amazon didn't box the card before shipping it. They just slapped a sticker on the factory box and kicked it out the door.
rolleyes.png

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
3570k. Bclk/htt were left stock. It's been running for 2 years dead stable, then BSOD the other day. BSOD this morning after turning it on. It didn't even get to login on Windows. As I said, it started happening before I put the 970 in. Only thing left to try is more volts after I try a memory swap, even though it passed Memtest.

I know how to fix it, it's just a pain that it started going bananas the day my new card was set to arrive.
rolleyes.png

Also, Amazon didn't box the card before shipping it. They just slapped a sticker on the factory box and kicked it out the door.
rolleyes.png
What overclock were you running it at? Chips can degrade over a few years if you push them hard, but if it was a mild overclock, then I'd suspect the power supply.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If the thing still works at stock fine and still can turbo mode fine I wouldn't worry about it. CPU overclocking Core i5/i7s accomplishes so little vs what the CPU can do on it's own by managing its own cores.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

rolleyes.png

rolleyes.png
Go deep with the mother fucker first, 2 years? check your thermal paste, who knows, maybe you used good thermal paste? maybe you used shit and it's all dried up, make sure you're getting good contact with chip/paste/cooler.

If you're booting up BSOD usually it's not a memory issue, sounds like CPU/heat issue. also underclock while you're at it, why not.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Can you re-use a CPU cooler like an 212 EVO? Do you just have to clean it really well?

I've never actually had to do that.