Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My GTX 770 replacement for my GTX 670 finally got here. Pretty sweet upgrade. Really cool thermal design on this card. Really fucking long card though.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I see no real reason to wait till sept when Amazon is having their anniversary sale in like 13 days or so. Unless the cpu is going to be some serious upgrade over current cpu's,...i mean like jumping from a bike to a muscle car then just build something good bc anything top end now will still last you a good 5 years. Ive been using my 3770k for ages and if i didnt have to buy a new mobo id likely not upgrade until PCIe SSDs took off a bit more.

However if Amazons sale will be godly then its time for them to take my money.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Z170 seems like a pretty significant upgrade as a chipset over Z97. Amazon's deals on computer parts are rarely that great.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Will see how it changes gaming, but i dont see it having much an impact. The possible bottleneck w/ the intel ssd 750 is there but will have to wait a bit to see.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Have a couple k to slang and looking to build a solid gaming rig. Haven't upgraded for years so out of the loop on what's good. Anyone care to make some recommendations ?
Yeah, wait until September.
Yep. New Intel CPU and chipset coming out then. If you don't need it now, wait.

My last CPU shat itself last month, so I had to grab a 4790K. One FAST fucking CPU. The old one matched it in GHz, but this one is just more responsive, though it shouldn't be noticeably more so, but it is. The new stuff coming out in September will be what I have plus at least 5%. Easy to wait.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Built my dad's beast today and something hilarious happened. He forgot to order windows 8.1 so we went to office max or office Depot, forget the name. He picks up a win 8.1 box and goes to check out. They tell him the box is just for the download and not physical media. So what the fuck is the point of having the box on the shelves and driving there for it?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Built my dad's beast today and something hilarious happened. He forgot to order windows 8.1 so we went to office max or office Depot, forget the name. He picks up a win 8.1 box and goes to check out. They tell him the box is just for the download and not physical media. So what the fuck is the point of having the box on the shelves and driving there for it?
You can just get keys for 15 dollars and DL the ISO. NEWB.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Im looking for a new gaming PC. I'm completely computer illiterate so building a new computer is not an option. Was looking for your feedback on the cyberpowerpc.com build below. Previous computer died so I don't really want to wait until September for new hardware. In 2 years I'll probably get a 4k game rig when prices come down and use this one for my work computer.
Mostly play dota on my old one because it was a piece of shit and couldn't run much of anything. one requirement would be to play Rome 2 total war at high ass settings. Any suggestions? hoping this could get me by for next 2-3 years. Price is $1,300

Edit: Also could someone recommend a monster for this. Ideally would like 27" but would settle for 24" if I would need too. $300 price range.

CPU:Intel? Core? i7-4790K 4.0 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified) [+96]

FAN:Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

HDD:256GB SANDISK SSD + 1TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+35] (Combo Drive)

MEMORY:16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory [+74] (G.SKILL Ripjaws

MOTHERBOARD:MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX w/ GIGABit LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1x M.2, 6x SATA 6GB/s (All Venom OC Certified

POWERSUPPLY:600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO:EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell) [+35] (Single Card)

WNC:802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+26]

_PRICE
frown.png
+1305)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Does a desktop really need wifi?

You're better off buying from superbiiz and having them assemble it. Fuck Cyberpower, they have the worst support ever.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Ive never used a prebuilt pc, but depending on case id go with noctua-dh14 for cpu cooling or the cryorig, thats just me but if you dont do any OCing at all its likely not needed. If Cyberpower doesnt add bloatware i dont see the harm if they simply assemble. Is Cyberpower and Ibuypower owned under the same corp umbrella? If one is not good, then try the other?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also, generic power supplies scare the fuck out of me.

Putting an expensive CPU with a cheap video card is a huge waste, unless you're planning on using that machine for something very CPU intensive later on.

Sterling

El Presidente
Also you don't really need to be very computer literate to assemble a PC these days. Just post the build here so people can inform you of compatibility issues and watch a youtube video and save hundreds of dollars. They've really made assembly very nearly idiot proof.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, if someone picks the parts out, assembling it is braindead simple. You don't need liquid cooling.