Desktop Computers

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's pretty accurate if you have 30 tabs of RedTube open trying to find the perfect scene while you're also chasing down Muradin

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
My first computer was a Dell 25 MHz 486 with 4mb ram and a 120mb hard drive. Kings Quest 6 all day erre day.

Within a day of getting the internet hooked up me and my older brother were looking for naked pictures of women. I still remember the first picture we found was a topless pic of the Barbie twins. It took atleast 10 min to download a picture on our 14.4k modem and we rejoiced when it got down to the nipples. Kids today don't know how good they got it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the objection to a standard HD was these days, with all the portable and external options, why put storage on a single drive, in your Desktop? I don't think anyone is saying store everything on an SSD (though it's nice and snappy!). I think it's that if it's already going to be on a relatively slow storage drive, make it external so all your devices can access it without having to leave your computer on?
They (external drives) are far more prone to failure for a start, but also quite a lot slower transfer rate unless you are using eSATA.

It just depends on what the person is trying to do with it. The argument was about 100% SSD or SSD + spinning HD desktop configuration.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Started with HC clones and cassette tapes for loading shit, upgraded to a 286 Olivetti 12 mhz, 1 mb ram, 42 mb hdd with green tint CRT (or whatever they were called) and so on. I remember playing the shit out of civ 1 on that 286.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Taught myself BASIC on a TRS80 but didn't get my first real computer until my 486 50mhz.

That computer was a Packard Bell piece of fucking shit, and the entire reason I know anything about PCs is because I constantly had to fuck with it just to get it to run any games. I deleted Windows 3.1 to make space, because that shit was useless for faceblasting Cyberdemons.

After that fucking turd, my next PC was a homebrew Pentium 166. The PC was still running until it got ruined in the flood but I kept the CPU; it's right here on my desk. I straighten the pins with a credit card when I'm bored.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Taught myself BASIC on a TRS80 but didn't get my first real computer until my 486 50mhz.

That computer was a Packard Bell piece of fucking shit, and the entire reason I know anything about PCs is because I constantly had to fuck with it just to get it to run any games. I deleted Windows 3.1 to make space, because that shit was useless for faceblasting Cyberdemons.

After that fucking turd, my next PC was a homebrew Pentium 166. The PC was still running until it got ruined in the flood but I kept the CPU; it's right here on my desk. I straighten the pins with a credit card when I'm bored.
I had a 33MHz Packard Bell, I can confirm they were piles of shit.

Next PC was a 200MHz something or other with a Voodoo3 2000 in it, played Quake 2 like a goddamn boss on that thing.

And thus started the era of me having to fix every single persons goddamn fucking computer, tablet, phone, cellphone, electrical issues, car radios, and everything else.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Did you have a pile of boot disks for running different games? With different colored labels? I wrote a batch file menuing system for launching all my games and it told you which color boot disk you had to insert and reboot.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I definitely had color-coded boot disks for various games, but I didn't learn to code until much later. I was a pleb

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
First PC was a compaq with a voodoo card i used to play EQ1 and UI, next was a HP a friend at tigerdirect built for me with a Geforce MX or something. I remember when GPUs were no bigger than wallets!

Fadaar

That guy
It's funny how much this reads like a joke but is so, so true, lol.
I'm so so bad about this. I have three monitors + 55" TV (that's across the room, thanks 20' HDMI cable and wireless mouse/keyboard!) and I use all three monitors quite often. Streaming or other videos on left monitor (27" Korean IPS), games on center (Asus 144 Hz Gsync), browser on right (old piece of shit 24" LCD). When I download a movie or want to stream to the TV I'll turn on the wireless mouse/kb and drag the windows over to the TV and change the sound output so I can do shit from the couch. Such win~

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory:Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($161.99 @ Amazon)
Storage:Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive($70.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Case:Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case($149.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply:EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total:$1348.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 20:54 EDT-0400

Buy a Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 key off reddit and you're good to go.
That is not a great overclocking motherboard btw. I can pick out something better but it'll cost a bit more.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Did you have a pile of boot disks for running different games? With different colored labels? I wrote a batch file menuing system for launching all my games and it told you which color boot disk you had to insert and reboot.
Extended Memory and EMM386 were the bane of my existence as a 12 year old. Some games needed drivers pushed into extended memory to free up enough base memory to run them. Some games needed so much free memory to run that I couldn't load all of my drivers, I'd have to decide if I'd rather be able to use my mouse, or my sweet-ass Soundblaster Pro video card (I'm looking at you, Ultima 7)

Windows 95 was the best thing to ever happen to computer gaming. Sure, it was bloated as shit compared to DOS, but it was just easy, shit worked(mostly).

I don't miss the days of having to fuck with a game for several hours in order to get it to boot after bringing it home from the store. Screw you 640k base memory limit!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yeah now you've gotta fuck with a game for several hours to get SLI profiles to work and shit like that. :p

Main reason I've never bothered with that stuff. But DOS memory management was fucking fun.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I still fix/build PCs, setup office networks and do the occasional home theater installs for extra money, so I have to.

It sure was nice in the 90s when you could charge 50-75 bucks an hour to fix dumb people's computers. Now it's like 20.

I still charge local doctors/lawyers/dentists offices out the nose for fixing their dumb problems, but still less than an IT contractor would.

iPads put a real dent in the 50-100 dollar fix 'grandma's email' housecalls. Fuck Apple.