Desktop Computers

Silence_sl

shitlord
you sure you don't want to just get a closed system water cooler?
Amazon.com: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060021-WW: Computers Accessories

Speaking as someone who used to buy the heatsink of the year, every year, this has saved me tons of $, since i got it 4 years ago. (the link is an updated version)Installation is stupid simple, with no need for hulk strength pressure just to fit a heatsink on, that will in 6months warp your board b/c it's almost 3lbs (yea no joke, you'll see most high end coolers are over 1300 grams) of metal.
Yeah, I thought about it, but I like the simplicity of an air cooler. They have utterly unspectacular failure modes. Weight isn't a problem. The Noctuas have giant back plates, my mainboard is thick, and the area near the HSF has 6 screws, so there's no flex in that area at all.

Not to mention, the Noctuas look cool as hell.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
That Corsair is a piece of shit that's more expensive and cools worse than a lot of air coolers, not to mention the extra points of failure and dangers. We go through this discussion every 4-6 months.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'll admit that the Corsair H100i doesn't cool much better than a lot of top-end air coolers, but what it does do is do it VERY quietly, and it also expels the heat completely out of the case via a radiator, rather than disbursing hot air on the interior of the case like most air coolers do, keeping your entire case a lot cooler. It's a good product, i've had one for almost 3 years now with no problems and a completely stable 4.8ghz overclock on my i5 3570k processor. You can definitely get the same cooling results on air cooling, but I enjoy the virtual silence. Ever since moving over to an H100i and SSDS, theres nothing in my case that makes any noise other than my video card.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That Corsair is a piece of shit that's more expensive and cools worse than a lot of air coolers, not to mention the extra points of failure and dangers. We go through this discussion every 4-6 months.
I've never seen a test where a closed loop Corsair double rad doesn't compete with every high end air cooler, the only extra points of failure is the pump, if it fails then your cpu overheats and shuts down. (there are no worries w/ evaporation or leaking since it's closed)

I'll admit that the Corsair H100i doesn't cool much better than a lot of top-end air coolers, but what it does do is do it VERY quietly, and it also expels the heat completely out of the case via a radiator, rather than disbursing hot air on the interior of the case like most air coolers do, keeping your entire case a lot cooler. It's a good product, i've had one for almost 3 years now with no problems and a completely stable 4.8ghz overclock on my i5 3570k processor. You can definitely get the same cooling results on air cooling, but I enjoy the virtual silence. Ever since moving over to an H100i and SSDS, theres nothing in my case that makes any noise other than my video card.
yea pretty much this, in order for a high end 3lb massive air cooler to comepte w/ a Corsair, it has to be on full tilt. My fans are on speedfan and always spin at 45% (inaudible), w/ an OC'd proc.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Uhh wat? 240mm or bigger AIOs destroy heatsinks. Only time AIOs are on par or worse than the best hsf combos is if youre using a single rad AIO.

Silence_sl

shitlord
No more reboots while gaming. GTX 970 asked too much of the old PSU, which is an Antec rebrand of a Seasonic 620.

Noctua is awesome. Knocked 18C off of LinX, and 15C off of fucking around with converting Blu Rays. Top quality, and assembly was a snap. They really need to pull their heads out of their asses and make 4-pin plugs standard, though. Something 21st Century Something Something. Luckily, my board can control the 3-pin system headers, so no sweat.

I just need a better case. One with a SATA back plane and lots of room for cables.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
A 970 has a TDP of like 145W, that's weird. My Seasonic X650 runs this stupid overclocked GTX 770 they sent me from my 670 RMA and it has a TDP of like 230W.

Silence_sl

shitlord
A 970 has a TDP of like 145W, that's weird. My Seasonic X650 runs this stupid overclocked GTX 770 they sent me from my 670 RMA and it has a TDP of like 230W.
Yeah, someting wong. It should be able to run the entire box without breaking a sweat. I only paid $35 for it years ago from Newegg, so no loss. Knowing Newegg, they probably dropped it from the roof a few times before shipping it. So much for recycling parts for this build. Only the chassis and two platter drives are old.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Absolutely with Joeboo on this one. Previously, I would go high end air with the best fans. Now I have had my Corsair H100 for for over 3 years now on my 3770K running at 4.5GHz 24/7 and it runs dead silent. I would recommend it to anyone and would absolutely buy it again in the future.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Did anyone else manage to score price matches usinggeforce_gtx_980_super_specs.pdf - DocDroid?
I called around and no one in Kansas City has any in stores, but the Best Buy said that they would price match it even though they had to order it. But it wouldn't show up over the phone when they searched, need a direct link apparently? So I'm giving a shot after work as long as the page still exists for me
tongue.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I called around and no one in Kansas City has any in stores, but the Best Buy said that they would price match it even though they had to order it. But it wouldn't show up over the phone when they searched, need a direct link apparently? So I'm giving a shot after work as long as the page still exists for me
tongue.png
The page is long, long gone from Microcenters website. That link is just a .pdf pintout/copy of the original web page, but if Best Buy needs to find it on Microcenters site...it won't happen. It was an error that didn't exist long at all.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The page is long, long gone from Microcenters website. That link is just a .pdf pintout/copy of the original web page, but if Best Buy needs to find it on Microcenters site...it won't happen. It was an error that didn't exist long at all.
No, someone on NeoGAF was linking it this afternoon, and the URL still works, and I think it shows up in Google search even, just not Microcenter's own search:http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...CIe_Video_Card

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Looking at Best Buy's policy, I guess you have to have a nearby Microcenter to take advantage of that ("local competitor") since it isn't listed among their major online outlets.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
There actually is one for me so woo. I wasn't even looking to upgrade my old 770 but for $300 it's hard not to jump on it

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
tongue.png
http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...ess_video_card

went up today i think and sold out - Office Depot down here price matches but they do it in the way of a refund of difference - friend hit up Office depot in her state and they did it through the managers portal or something - In any case it seems Office depot was a safer bet than BestBuy - they said "no way is that real!" and Staples said they wouldnt price match that place.

All in all it comes down to who you know or who is too dumb to realize they shouldnt price match it. If you can get it down then so be it. However if a place says no just go to the next,..you will find someone who doesnt give a fuck and do it.