Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm a computer neandertha. Would the Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory be a good bet if replacing my old ram on my 5 year old build? Running into games not running well esp if i have chrome with a few tabs open.

Or can I go cheaper and still decent if it's not part of a cutting edge build.

Can share a cpuz if it helps folks figure out where my bottleneck is. Have a Gigabyte 7970HD I put in a year or so ago. Newer HD when one died. a 3 core CPU that my computer friend unlocked and OC'd a bit when he built it.
yea share that cpuz, if you got an unlocked 3core, it's an AMD phenom2x3, or athon 2x3. While i say amd's are still fine cpus (i have an oc'd 8core myself) i only really recommend intel, cuz they're really the tits now and that amd 3core is probably really the thing showing it's age.

I mean heck it'll do good, i have another amd phenom x4 that i unlocked 2 cores as a htpc that my wife uses to play witcher2, but it's a barebones tweaked htpc, you're best bet is to upgrade proc/mb for the best bang for your buck. Unless you don't have a SSD yet, that always will benefit first and currently is a nice cheap upgrade that you can carry along w/ you to your next build.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Dont think I can attach it? Didnt like .txt file?

It's

Codename Deneb
Specification AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B45 Processor
Core Speed 3300.0 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed 15.0 x 220.0 MHz
HT Link speed 1980.0 MHz
Stock frequency 3000 MHz

Then I think I may not even have a problem, just the paltry 4gb of ram doesn't cut it anymore. Esp since it seems to be running at like 733mhz? Dunno.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea just go get some ddr3 16gig memory, doesnt really matter the speed, you need quantity. Why 16? Its cheap atm

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
he most likely has 2x2's so it's kinda worthless to keep them around, and as sad as it is to say, i've had a lot of experience where ppl have wanted to use thier old memory w/ the new and it just ends up w/ problems.

8g is 50-60 and 16g is 80 to 100, just pick some nice ddr3 w/ a decent speed, you should be good.

16gb is less than 100
Amazon.com: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00/ BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00: Computers Accessories

8gb is less than 50
Amazon.com: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) 240-Pin UDIMM Memory BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00/BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00: Computers Accessories

you could get the 8gb kit and hopefully it'll play nice w/ your current 2x2gb memory, usually it does, but if it doesn't, then its a mess to troubleshoot.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Is MSI Afterburner the best overclocking tool for Nvidia cards?
Yeah, EVGA Precision has an unresolved bug that causes random driver crashes when custom fan profiles are used. I'm not sure if it's more prevalent on SLI or certain overclocks but it was killing me in Witcher 3 with 2x 780 FTWs. So if you must overclock / custom cool, use MSI Afterburner.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Not worried about keeping old memory as I feel slightly suspect of it. (Some of the stuff I used to do doesn't run so great now. Maybe just patches that make games and chrome more ram whores dunno.)

I think I'll stick with 8gb, unless anyone knows that something like Elite Dangerous would benefit majorly from it. Anyone else have opinions between my friend suggested GskillG.SKILL Ares Series 8GB Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C8D-8GAB - Newegg.com
and the above linked crucial ballistix?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not worried about keeping old memory as I feel slightly suspect of it. (Some of the stuff I used to do doesn't run so great now. Maybe just patches that make games and chrome more ram whores dunno.)

I think I'll stick with 8gb, unless anyone knows that something like Elite Dangerous would benefit majorly from it. Anyone else have opinions between my friend suggested GskillG.SKILL Ares Series 8GB Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C8D-8GAB - Newegg.com
and the above linked crucial ballistix?
They're basically identical, go with which one looks cooler.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
right now my ssd is a 128 gig samsung 840 pro. i'm desperately in need of space for programs so i'm going to grab a 256 evo from microcenter for $90. plan is to just run with both of them. are there any special considerations i would have to make? i figure when windows 10 comes around ill end up formatting both and installing that on the evo since its faster.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
eh maybe -- i plan on doing a whole new build in 1-2 years when 60 fps 4K gameplay becomes more feasible so i'm not trying to get too crazy with anything now since i'll probably end up giving it to my mom.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
eh maybe -- i plan on doing a whole new build in 1-2 years when 60 fps 4K gameplay becomes more feasible so i'm not trying to get too crazy with anything now since i'll probably end up giving it to my mom.
Can't you just embezzle some clients, Keg?