Desktop Computers

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One time Best Buy put the Monster HDMI gold-plated-gives-blowjobs cables up with a price tag of $5.00 by mistake - not just like 1 or two, but their entire cable section. I argued with them and got 2 for $10, walked away feeling like quite the winner.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
One time Best Buy put the Monster HDMI gold-plated-gives-blowjobs cables up with a price tag of $5.00 by mistake - not just like 1 or two, but their entire cable section. I argued with them and got 2 for $10, walked away feeling like quite the winner.
The only way that's a winner is if you returned them to some other Best Buy for 50 dollars in store credit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It was for my dad so it didn't matter to me about turning profit. They tried to argue with me then they went and saw the whole section was fucked up. Can only imagine someone truly was fired.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
27" pixel perfect 1440p Qnix monitor - $209

I bought one of these monitors a year and a half ago for like $330, it's been great. Mine easily overclocked to 96hz, some will get all the way to 122hz. Solid deal for $210

It is a glossy screen though, treat it like its a plasma TV. You wouldn't want to use it in a super bright room or in direct view of windows/natural light. It'll glare quite a bit. Looks amazing in a dim/dark room though.

That link is exactly the same Korean seller that I used as well, they were great and shipping was ridiculous fast for having to come from overseas. Korea -> Missouri took like 5 days.

Mire_sl

shitlord
Green-Sum is a good seller. Bought the same Qnix for $289 over a year ago from him / her / it. Monitor is still in perfect condition, no deal pixels and seems to have better image quality than a Yamakasi Catleap of the same res / size / price.

Edit: These monitors are Dual link DVI only. The quality of your DVI cable may impact how far you can over clock the monitor (~90Hz seems to be the average).

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Is the 8ms refresh a problem on those things?

I'd also be worried about getting fucked in the ass by Canada customs.

Mire_sl

shitlord
Is the 8ms refresh a problem on those things?

I'd also be worried about getting fucked in the ass by Canada customs.
The Qnix is very good for games and even better for browsing. Even at 8ms, you won't notice a huge difference and the image quality more than makes up for it. I believe Green-Sum will charge you a little extra to ship it to Canada, like he did for me but I had 0 problems with customs. The screen was delivered to my work like every other product I bought from Canadian retailers with no hassle. I can't say it's better than my Rog Swift for games though. =)

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Any idea how long this sellers sales usually last?

Edit: Not very long as it turns out. The price is $299 now
frown.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah that was just a 2-day sale according to the link, July 26 and 27 :/ It's done now.

Response time seems to be a non-issue. I've been gaming on it for a year and a half now, and it's amazing. I'm no professional gamer or anything, but there's been zero issues with the 8ms response time. Dark Souls 2, FPSes, etc all control great.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Pascal is so far away. I think my 290 is having the memory die. Interesting pixel blocks when browsing the .gifs thread last night.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Intel and Micron Produce Breakthrough Memory Technology | Business Wire

Sign me up for a SSD 1000 times faster than current drives
Eh, it is comparing speeds with standard memory, which in most machines is like pc 1066 at best as an average. Considering most "gaming" PCs are running DDR3 at a minimum, and at much higher bandwidth allocations, I would be surprised if it is really that much of an increase over gaming rigs at the moment. Either way though, faster is faster! But software taking advantage of that is going to be a few years out at a minimum.

Unless I'm totally misreading that and they are talking a hybrid ssd/ram solution, in which case WTF sign me up plz.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Eh, it is comparing speeds with standard memory, which in most machines is like pc 1066 at best as an average. Considering most "gaming" PCs are running DDR3 at a minimum, and at much higher bandwidth allocations, I would be surprised if it is really that much of an increase over gaming rigs at the moment. Either way though, faster is faster! But software taking advantage of that is going to be a few years out at a minimum.

Unless I'm totally misreading that and they are talking a hybrid ssd/ram solution, in which case WTF sign me up plz.
They're talking about a complete replacement for NAND, bringing it within 1 order of magnitude of DRAM speeds. It sounds like the real deal, they say they will have production models for sale by the end of 2016.

I don't even know how many PCIe lanes you'd need to transfer data at that speed, but probably as much as a video card.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Talk about a complete motherboard makeover, damn. Time to invest in ASUS stocks, imo.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Eh, X99 systems and whatever the followup is will certainly be fine if Intel decides to put this tech in an x8 or even x16 expansion card. The standard performance desktop range chips top out at 20 lanes for Skylake, up from 16 previously, and no amount of motherboard re-engineering is going to change that. So it's really up to Intel.