Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would try to find some 1.2v memory but the selection looks pretty slim.

Fuck those expensive SSDs for the time being. They don't even boot faster than an 850 Pro.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I still scratch my head at spending $1300 on video cards when 3 years from now they will be outperformed by a single $400 card.

I'm still convinced that just upgrading cards every 18-24 months is the way to go.

Video cards depreciate and become obsolete faster than any other party of your build, so spending the most on them always seemed quite strange to me. I guess if you have to have 4k at 60fps right now...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I basically have zero limit on how much I can spend on my build, and even then I had a hard time justifying a single 980 Ti, let alone two.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would try to find some 1.2v memory but the selection looks pretty slim.

Fuck those expensive SSDs for the time being. They don't even boot faster than an 850 Pro.
The only time my computer reboots is when forced by Windows Updates. Aside from that, I judge my computer's performance by.. you know.. computing vs how it starts itself. It's like saying a Ferrari needs a few extra seconds to warm up (hypothetical), so lets just ignore how it actually performs on the street.

BTW, I love my SLI 980 Ti setup. I am a max settings junkie and I know off the top of my head I can see slow downs in Witcher 3. (Maybe recent driver optimizations have helped. I haven't played in a month)

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I still scratch my head at spending $1300 on video cards when 3 years from now they will be outperformed by a single $400 card.

I'm still convinced that just upgrading cards every 18-24 months is the way to go.

Video cards depreciate and become obsolete faster than any other party of your build, so spending the most on them always seemed quite strange to me. I guess if you have to have 4k at 60fps right now...
1) I obviously spend quite a bit of time on my computer. If a new game comes out in the next 2-3 years I might be interested in I want to be able to run it at Ultra/Max settings and not blink an eye.
2) I've been pretty lucky to be making a stupid amount of money right now and I don't really spend it on myself much.
3) 4k + G-Sync, like you said. Really that is the biggest thing. I'll be ordering my 4k G-Sync pretty soon and the 980 Ti x 2 is really the best way to go.
4) My brother's GPU just crapped out so I can help him out by giving him my 780 Ti.
5) Yolo?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know, those 980 tis are going to become obsolete a hell of a lot faster running at 4k v 1440.

Fadaar

That guy
About the only piece of hardware that's a true investment is a good case. I've had my Corsair 800D for five years and two sets of hardware now and intend to keep using it for many years.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
About the only piece of hardware that's a true investment is a good case. I've had my Corsair 800D for five years and two sets of hardware now and intend to keep using it for many years.
Agreed, however I found that doing my new build that it's reasonably difficult to find a good, fully featured mid-tower case that doesn't come absolutely lacquered in idiotic bells, whistles, and wing dings. LED shit everywhere, etc. Took me a good hour of searching to find something that's reasonably sized and doesn't try to look like a fucking space ship. Ended up settling on a Corsair 330R Titanium. I don't really get why anyone needs anything more than a mid-tower these days, unless they're doing SLI or something else with their computer. Otherwise who the fuck needs 10 hard drive bays, 6 full sized 5.25" bays on the front, etc etc? These days it's not like people have standalone sound or network cards taking up slots/space.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You might think about a full tower if you're doing a water cooler with a radiator. I had to get a full tower so that I had room to mount my radiator + fans on each side of it(4 fans total) in a push/pull configuration on the interior of the case (mine is on the top/roof of the case), I would have probably had to either just do 1 layer of fans, or mount the radiator on the exterior in a mid-tower case

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that having a billion LED fans in a computer that makes it look like it was designed as a Star Wars spaceship on acid is fucking retarded. I think I have one piece in my entire case that is an LED light and even that bugs me. I don't get that at all. I guess some people have their computer ON their desk (mine is under it) but even then why the hell would you want to be blinded by your computer. Stupid.

I still like the Corsair Air 540 (I have one for my home build and my work build) but I'm debating on something new for the new computer. Decisions decisions.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually cut pieces of sticky note to cover LEDs on my router. Those blinking fuckers in the dark are annoying too!

Pizoi

Golden Squire
I don't even plug in the HDD LED and POWER LED cables on my board. I can't stand how every device these days has to have bright blue LED's on it. Stop it already.