Desktop Computers

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So how much you think I could flip this for: i7-960, 24gb ram, 980gtx, 250gb ssd, in antec 900 with some middling thermaltake 1000w psu

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Depends how much wear and tear is on that SSD and that lousy PSU.
Yeah it will do for now but even if I replace those things it won't be that big of a deal.

I didn't get an insane steal but I got it at a decent enough price, especially no tax or shipping.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
So i'm specing out two possible builds, one i7 4790k / z97 and the other skylake. My question pertains to memory selection. For skylake builds it seems DDR4 2400 is the way to go, but for DDR3 on Haswell/DK i'm looking at 1600 CL8 as has been suggested previously here. Yet there are so many more speeds of DD3. It's confusing.

I'm not looking for an overclock screamer, though performance is key. I'm building this for video editing primarily. Asus boards, EVGA GTX 960.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
2800 is the way to go for Skylake. That's the highest you can go before you bump the voltage, and it doesn't really cost anymore.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Okay DDR4 2800 then. Anything better for DDR3? 1866? 2400? CL 10? Is faster speed worth more than CL? I take it anything faster than 1600 is overclocked then. Is it stable? sustainable? This will be a production machine.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
My Skylake build is up and running. Thanks for the tips everyone. The MSI card was a good tip Orcus. My case is so quiet I can barely tell the computer is on.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I just ordered a brand new PC over the weekend. Special lady friend is getting the old one, which is actually still halfway decent (4670 w/ 680 GTX). Man we're getting fucked up North on prices right now. In any case, please critique and let me know if I made any giant boners. Obviously it's not a budget build, but nor am I doing anything stupid with quad SLI or anything along those lines. I might pick up another 980 Ti in the future, but doubt I'll need the power (still went with the larger PSU just in case). Ignore the shitty keyboard and wireless adapter, those are for the old one.

I went with the Acer monitor because I've heard great things about G-sync (tearing bothers the shit out of me), but still wanted to stick with an IPS monitor. It's replacing a nearly 10 year old 24" Dell Ultrasharp, which has been a phenomenal monitor.

rrr_img_107289.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Fucking hell, those prices suck, lol.

You might do a little reading on PCI-E SSD drives as C:/boot drives. Seems like a lot of people still have problems with using them as boot drives, and bioses not wanting to recognize them, making fresh windows installs a pain in the ass. Back when I was reading about it last year or so, it seemed like a lot of the issues were with Windows 7 not having the proper drivers to recognize these drives, but maybe Win 8/10 has fixed this issue? I haven't looked up any updated info since last year.

You might start with this:
http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hp.../CS-035481.htm

I like that Intels offical site states "Because NVMe is still a maturing technology, configuring your system to boot from an NVMe SSD can be a confusing task" LOL thats never good when the manufacturer admits that it is "confusing" to install.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that's one of the things that I was concerned about when I put the 750 on the order. At first I just had a Samsung, but then I was looking at drive performance on Anandtech's Bench and I was like "fuck yeah that thing is fast!". I'll do some proper research on it before cracking the box, but I would think that with Windows 10 and a bleeding edge motherboard, that things should go kinda sorta smoothly.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fucking hell, those prices suck, lol.

You might do a little reading on PCI-E SSD drives as C:/boot drives. Seems like a lot of people still have problems with using them as boot drives, and bioses not wanting to recognize them, making fresh windows installs a pain in the ass. Back when I was reading about it last year or so, it seemed like a lot of the issues were with Windows 7 not having the proper drivers to recognize these drives, but maybe Win 8/10 has fixed this issue? I haven't looked up any updated info since last year.

You might start with this:
http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hp.../CS-035481.htm

I like that Intels offical site states "Because NVMe is still a maturing technology, configuring your system to boot from an NVMe SSD can be a confusing task" LOL thats never good when the manufacturer admits that it is "confusing" to install.
All of that is fixed with Z170. Almost all of it was fixed with Z97. It's all people with older boards complaining.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Dude, that's pretty much straight exchange rate. Buying it across the border would do me zero good, because I'd just have to pay the exchange anyways. If anything I'd probably be another few percent worse off, since the loonie has dropped another couple percent in the last week, generally prices trail the true exchange rate by months, and Visa will generally fuck you about 2.5% on the rate.

I did recently get a fair chunk of US-based ETF's (VTI, VT, VGK, VWO, VPL) journalled over to the US dollar side of my investment account (which I didn't even realize existed until two weeks ago, whoops). Those will generate a few thousand bucks a year of US dollars. I'll get a US dollar checking and Visa account, assuming the fees aren't too onerous, and then I won't have to give a shit about the exchange rate anymore.

But that's for future purchases and vacations. Doesn't do me much good right now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't know why, but I was thinking that $1 Canadian was worth more than $1 US. Guess not...looks like the current exchange rate has the US dollar valued about 30% higher than a Canadian dollar...which would explain the ~30% price difference on those parts.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It's dropped something like 15-20% in the last year. It's a petro currency at this point. It was trucking along at about 90 cents last year, but now it's around 75 cents.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I went with the Acer monitor because I've heard great things about G-sync (tearing bothers the shit out of me), but still wanted to stick with an IPS monitor. It's replacing a nearly 10 year old 24" Dell Ultrasharp, which has been a phenomenal monitor.
You won't regret that decision at all. G-Sync is fucking awesome and while I ended getting the ASUS (more or less the something but not an IPS) it was one of those purchases that is along the lines of making the jump from HDD to SSD in terms of noticeable difference in gaming/computer performance. Just unreal how much better it is. And the funny thing is I (probably) had that same 24" Dell UltraSharp for my gaming monitor before I got my G-Sync too. Like you said it was/is an great monitor but god damn 144 mhz + G-Sync is great.

I still use the UltraSharp as my primary non-gaming monitor (movies/TV shows/internet monitor/etc). God I'm excited for you (no homo).

Off this topic: Holy fuck where are the i7-6700k CPU's. I want to build my new computer already, god damnit!

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Anyone see any glaring issues with ordering these parts for my Skylake build? I'll be getting the CPU/Motherboard from Microcenter whenever the fuck they get it. Mostly just concernedabout the RAM, really.

Edit: Should I look at the Intel 750 or Samsung SM951 for my SSD? Is it really worth it?

rrr_img_107304.jpg