Desktop Computers

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Wasn't sure where to share this but you can get the Asus GTX 970 STRIX for ~$250 from Newegg with no tax/shipping if you buy it with the Amex promo and mail in rebate ($299 without either). Seemed like a good price and my buddy has it and it runs really quiet so I pulled the trigger to finally replace my 660ti. Oh and you get the new Assassins Creed or Rainbow 6 which you could probably flip on ebay for another $20-$30.

ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support G-SYNC Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well I was shooting for around $600-700 hopefully getting some Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals thrown in. Not sure how realistic this is these days.
realistically you'd save a couple a bucks if you shoot for BF/CM deals, cuz it's components, like for instance
Newegg.com Black Friday 2015 - Newegg Black Friday Deals, Ads & Sales
early ads has the evo 850 250gb at 75bucks, which is already the reg price for Amazon anyway

Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM): Computers Accessories

Your best bet is to see if there's a microcenter near you and has one of those CPU+MB deals are actually pretty good. (nothing posted yet)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
OC3D :: Review :: Intel i3 6300T and 6320 Skylake Review :: Conclusion

Those results are really impressive. I think the i3 6320 is what Im getting now after reading this. Thanks for the heads up Orcus
smile.png

Think I will get a hero motherboard so this can be pretty future proof and have all the nice bells and whistles like usb 3.1 and the other goodies. Plus I just found out I'll be getting a Xmas bonus for some extra cash and that can go here. So build price now is 1200ish maybe. Considering the i3 benchmarks in gaming in the above link vs even the i7 6600k....that should let me build a goddamn beefy computer and maybe even leave room for a 144 monitor. I really want to see how this new 380x benchmarks coming out this week.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
OC3D :: Review :: Intel i3 6300T and 6320 Skylake Review :: Conclusion

Those results are really impressive. I think the i3 6320 is what Im getting now after reading this. Thanks for the heads up Orcus
smile.png

Think I will get a hero motherboard so this can be pretty future proof and have all the nice bells and whistles like usb 3.1 and the other goodies. Plus I just found out I'll be getting a Xmas bonus for some extra cash and that can go here. So build price now is 1200ish maybe. Considering the i3 benchmarks in gaming in the above link vs even the i7 6600k....that should let me build a goddamn beefy computer and maybe even leave room for a 144 monitor. I really want to see how this new 380x benchmarks coming out this week.
I've been saying it for a year now I need to upgrade my 2500K and have kept putting it off, for good reason though since it has still been solid. But with Christmas coming up my mom will be clamoring for present ideas and maybe now is the time to step up. Based on the OC3D review maybe just going for a i3 6320 or an i5 one of them?

Primary concern is that I'm constantly gaming with multiple Twitch streams open, or YouTube, or watching a TV show / movie on Monitor #2, and multiple browser tabs on #3. She would probably be okay with picking me up a combo mobo / processor then I can buy some DDR4 and reuse my 980 Ti.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Get an i7 if you are streaming while gaming, or really any heavy multi-tasking while gaming (watching videos), it'll be worth it in the long run. If you have to skimp elsewhere on your build to fit it in your budget now, do so. You can always pick up a better video card or more RAM or a bigger SSD a year down the line, but don't skimp on the CPU/motherboard and they'll last you 5+ years easy. I'f you're unhappy with your CPU in a couple years, you're back to doing a complete new build again, it sucks.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
At $400 an i7 may be pushing it right now. I mean, she'd do it, but I would feel bad asking. Eh maybe we'll just get a grill or smoker for the deck and I'll look at upgrading when I get a job again. I have graphics cards, HDs, etc.., etc... It's just the mobo/cpu thing (which obviously hits the RAM too now).

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I cant justify it with what I do since I dont do all of what you do. I dont have 3 monitors and things open all at once, so if Im gaming Im doing that till i stop, even music I run from my phone to the bluetooth Bose speakers. If I want to watch a youtube video or something I just do it after, or even chromecast the shit from my phone to my tv right next to me. Saves me shit tons of money and all the multicore stuff is worthless for what I do considering its 200-300 dollars more for something superfluous.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, even though I have 2 monitors I still stuck with an i5, because I don't do anything more than have a web page open on the 2nd monitor when I'm gaming on the first.

I don't know how anyone legitimately watches a movie or TV show or something like that while gaming. I guess unless you're doing mindless MMO farming or something. And I don't get into streaming. I don't want to watch anyone else playing a game, and nobody wants to watch me playing a game.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
At $400 an i7 may be pushing it right now. I mean, she'd do it, but I would feel bad asking. Eh maybe we'll just get a grill or smoker for the deck and I'll look at upgrading when I get a job again. I have graphics cards, HDs, etc.., etc... It's just the mobo/cpu thing (which obviously hits the RAM too now).
Zero difference between i5 and i7 unless you are doing heavy encoding/rendering. I can play GTA V maxed out smooth 60fps while having 20 tabs of firefox open and 1080p youtube video going while skype runs on a second monitor. Of course mines overclocked to 4.5ghz but still.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
So I've been getting ready to build a Skylake PC for a while now, was waiting for prices to drop a bit. The prices on an i7 6600k seem to have gone up from $330 to $430 in the last week for whatever reason so I'm figuring the prices aren't coming down for a while. I guess I was checking out the Black Friday deals at Newegg andhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=83-102-108seems like a better PC than I can build for a similar price. I'm currently on a Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz with 4 GB ram and a Radeon 4870, so obviously this is a huge upgrade. Any reason I should still build the system myself instead of going with this prebuilt?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Zero difference between i5 and i7 unless you are doing heavy encoding/rendering. I can play GTA V maxed out smooth 60fps while having 20 tabs of firefox open and 1080p youtube video going while skype runs on a second monitor. Of course mines overclocked to 4.5ghz but still.
Thanks Big P, don't care what they say about you, you're a real shitlord.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I've been getting ready to build a Skylake PC for a while now, was waiting for prices to drop a bit. The prices on an i7 6600k seem to have gone up from $330 to $430 in the last week for whatever reason so I'm figuring the prices aren't coming down for a while. I guess I was checking out the Black Friday deals at Newegg andhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=83-102-108seems like a better PC than I can build for a similar price. I'm currently on a Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz with 4 GB ram and a Radeon 4870, so obviously this is a huge upgrade. Any reason I should still build the system myself instead of going with this prebuilt?
Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

$269.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That is not a skylake CPU, that's last gen Haswell, and not a great Haswell at that.

Here's a much better build for only ~$100 more

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor($399.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard($151.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card($606.98 @ Newegg)
Case:Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total:$1636.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-16 17:39 EST-0500

Much better CPU, better motherboard, better SSD, better power supply, less Ram but you don't need 32GB, same video card

The problem with that prebuilt, is who knows what brand of parts could be in it. Might be a shit power supply, might be a shitty SSD, the RAM might be cheap with poor latency. Who knows.

Alternately, if you don't want to do a Skylake build, and you're ok with Haswell, you could put together a great i7 system for probably $200 less than that prebuilt with a better CPU, and better brand of parts.