Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't think it's worth it. Especially with how quickly the SSD market is changing, we'll probably all have 4-8GB SSDs in our machines in another 2-3 years for the price of what you would pay for that 950 today. Just get an 850 Evo, they're plenty fast and reliable and you won't feel as bad replacing it in a year or two since it's cheap.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really can't recommend M.2's. I still am not on board with them. They fail too much here.
Where is "here"?

The huge selling point of that M.2 850 Pro he linked is the 2500MB/s operating speed vs the SATA3 capped speed of every other SSD around 550MB/s. That is a massive difference, on paper. Real world? Not sure to be honest. But the simple fact is, SATA3 has long been oversaturated. It is time to move on to a newer and faster technology.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have a M.2 slot on my MB. I was figuring I'd wait until 1-2 TB drives are cheapish before moving to it.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I have a Crucial M4 256GB for my OS drive, and picked up an 850 EVO 1TB and have been debating how to configure my install.

If I take the lazy way out, back up my Steam folder and any other games from my current secondary drive to an external drive, and then copy everything back to the new SSD secondary will it cause problems?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I have a Crucial M4 256GB for my OS drive, and picked up an 850 EVO 1TB and have been debating how to configure my install.

If I take the lazy way out, back up my Steam folder and any other games from my current secondary drive to an external drive, and then copy everything back to the new SSD secondary will it cause problems?
It shouldn't cause any problems if done correctly.

I'd double check some other articles using your Google foo but I normally trustMaximumPC's guides like this one.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
To save me the sake of sifting through 16 yr old's fighting about fucking video card brands, can someone give me a run down of the potential issue Nvidia faces with its most recent cards (GTX 970 to be exact) in regards to DX12 in the future? Lack of VRAM?

Debating in between the EVGA GTX 970s & Tri-X 290x (loved the XFX look, but apparently XFX has shit the bed with poor coolers). Appreciate it ahead of time!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Your average 970 is going to outperform your average 290x at 1080p and 1440p, 4K gets dicey, at that point it's kinda 50/50, just depending on the game and how well it's optimized for one chipset or the other.. But then again, a single card of either isn't going to be great at 4K.

I debated both about a year ago and decided to go 970 (I game at 1440p, went with the EVGA) and couldn't be happier with it.

And honestly, nobody knows anything about DiretX12 performance at this point. Anything you'll read or be told is mostly random speculation. There's exactly 1 piece of software that uses DX12, and it's not even a full game, it's a tech demo of an alpha version of a game. So who knows on DX12...it's all up in the air at this point.

I'd definitely go 970 if you're gaming at 1440p or 1080p, and I'd actually consider a 8GB 390 if I were doing 4k gaming. The 390 pulls ahead of the 970 pretty regularly at 4k, but is decidedly behind the 970 at lower resolutions.

So its a bit of a hodgepodge, ranked from best to worst at various resolutions:

1080p
1) 970
2) 290x
3) 390

1440p
1) 970
2) 290x
3) 390

1) 390
2) 970/290x tie

And you can even find specific game benchmarks that defy every single one of the things I just wrote. Sometimes despite all logic, a certain game just performs better on one card vs another.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Gotcha, probably gonna pick up a 970 then. For the foreseeable future I plan to move to 1440 from 1200 soon, 4k I'll wait & drop more on a video card when necessary. Appreciate it!

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I recently started getting "4th data hard disk SMART status bad" errors upon boot up, and it seems like sooner or later it's going to eat it. Wondering if I have enough time to make it to black friday/cyber monday sales or if my days are numbered? Are the savings from those sales worth risking it?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I recently started getting "4th data hard disk SMART status bad" errors upon boot up, and it seems like sooner or later it's going to eat it. Wondering if I have enough time to make it to black friday/cyber monday sales or if my days are numbered? Are the savings from those sales worth risking it?
back up now, it's just gonna be harder to "access" areas.

i don't know what deals we'll see (we should actually see some previews soon next week) but so far this is a good deal
TOSHIBA Canvio Desk 5TB USB 3.0 3.5 Desktop External Hard Drive HDWC250XK3J1 Black - Newegg.com
Coupon code "1104PRGMR58"

10bucks off

use it to back up your drive (i doubt you a 6tb drive, so this will def back it all up) and use it as is or rip it up, gut the drive and install it like normal.

external drives are always seemingly a cheaper deal if you rip if up.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I have nothing on this computer that I can't live without. It's just my only access to the internet, so if it dies I can't replace it easily unless I drive to Best Buy and pick something out. I've been meaning to try my first build (having never done it and knowing nearly dick about doing it) and was waiting till previously mentioned sales before attempting to do so. So long as I can turn this on and get to the internet, I'ma wait I reckon.

Either way, sounds like I need to advance my build plans. Anyone have a $1000-$1500 build saved or recent experience in that range?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Either way, sounds like I need to advance my build plans. Anyone have a $1000-$1500 build saved or recent experience in that range?
Are there any parts that are relatively new that you would salvage from your current PC besides the usual optical drive/keyboard/mouse? Get a new video card recently or anything, or are you starting completely from scratch?

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Are there any parts that are relatively new that you would salvage from your current PC besides the usual optical drive/keyboard/mouse? Get a new video card recently or anything, or are you starting completely from scratch?
Current computer was built by a buddy who wanted me to play a game with him and my computer then wasn't good enough so he sent me this one...this was 2007. Think all I've done was put another gcard in it some years ago.

Biostar TA790GX A3+ motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 810 2.60 GHz cpu
4 gigs DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GT740
and like 100GB HD

I highly suspect there's little worth salvaging.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oh, it's you MAIN? drive? well you def have to upgrade to a SSD main drive then

500gigs for 170 or if you wanna skip 250 for 90
Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM): Computers Accessories

do you plan on doing any intensive gaming? I have about the same rig (better cpu) for my htpc and my wife plays witcher3 on it w/ pretty high graphics.

If you want to delay getting a new pc, AT LEAST buy a new ssd, you will still be able to use it in your new rig anyway, and SSD's are just that great.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So this is what I was messing with, thanks for the links above. I researched mostly finding a sweet spot for pricepoint meeting performance....so something cheaper but still plays games at good settings.

PC Hound Part List

CPU:AMD FX-8320($144.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard:MSI 970 Gaming($95.98 @ Newegg)
Memory:G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws X Series($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card:SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 100362SR($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:EVGA 650W 220-G2-0650-Y1($65.98 @ Newegg)
Storage:SAMSUNG 250GB 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM($93.89 @ Newegg)
Total:$680.82
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated byPC Hound

Only thing I need is a case since my antec is in rough shape after 5-6 years now.

Thoughts? Im not super heavy into gaming like I once was, so I just cant justify something absurdly expensive or more than like 750. I just went with everything at Newegg since it was just a few dollars more on a couple pieces here and there overall and it would all get here at the same time... plus I love their service if things go south.

Keep in mind, this is mainly for games like Dota 2 and rpgs like PoE, Divinity etc.....not doing Bf4 at ultra settings or anything crazy.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd use this as a starting point in your price range

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor($254.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler($24.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard:Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard($151.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($159.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card($296.99 @ NCIX US)
Case:Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case($99.98 @ Directron)
Power Supply:SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply($102.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total:$1211.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 14:28 EST-0500

A couple notes:

- I didn't include an OS, didn't know if you had a Win 7 disk you could use for the initial install, and then free upgrade to Windows 10

- I didn't include a monitor, but if your current monitor is pretty shoddy, you can easily add a nice 1080p monitor for ~$150 more

- If you take a few weeks to piece together the parts via Amazon/Newegg/Slickdeals you can probably find a lot of those parts for a tad cheaper than what they are right now. For instance, the 500GB SSD regularly drops to $145-$150, I've seen NVidia 970 video cards for ~$270 off and on, theres a nice 1000W EVGA power supply that can be had for $100 after rebate right now(http://slickdeals.net/f/8220143-1000...gg-com?src=pdw), etc. I wouldn't doubt that if you took your time and pieced together parts over the next few weeks you could easily knock $100+ off of the total price.

- I threw a fairly standard case onto that list, but your choice of case could be completely different, that's the one piece that is going to be a huge personal preference choice from person to person

- If you have a Microcenter store anywhere near you, go there to purchase your CPU/MOBO, they have prices usually cheaper than online + they give a bonus discount when you buy a CPU/MOBO together. You might save $50+ buying them at a Microcenter(not the website though, has to be in-store)

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I miss my Microcenter from Atlanta
frown.png