Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Is that a Fractal R5? I decided to go with that on my new build too.
Define S. Great case other than the fact the top mounting spots dont seem to fit 140mm+ AIOs very well. Ended up having to mount my H110 at the front because the plastic and tubing at the ends of the radiator was causing alignment issues. Other than that happy with it and love the hard drive mounting options. Even with all those fans in that picture its extremely quite.

Heres one of it a bit cleaner;

rrr_img_118704.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So here's two screenshots of two different sets of runs. The first one is when the computer is underperforming (roughly 1/3rd speed), the second is when it is performing well (in line with similarily built systems). Like I said before the way I work around this problem is by literally just rebooting.

8J1MCjH.png

tWC4taP.png

The dips are between runs of the benchmark, or between loads of the benchmark tool (3dmark). I also have the logs that MSI afterburner produces.

The only discrepancy I notice is the GPU Memory Controller load. This is shown both in Open Hardware Monitor and GPUZ. When running well it runs at ~50%. When it is running poorly it only runs at ~20%. I don't know what the memory controller load is and whether that's the problem or the system feeding it is a problem.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I bought from them way back in the early 2000's, don't remember much, but i did get the components, if you're wondering if they are a fly by night, i doubt it.

You did all the basic overheating checks right? made sure all fans spin, made sure power supply fan spins, double check and maybe even change out the heatsink/thermal paste on
cpu
video card
MB chip
As far as I can tell all my temperatures are nominal. I didn't check any fans.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
possible, but why would that change on boot?

I'm thinking about upgrading to windows 10 and seeing if it changes.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
possible, but why would that change on boot?

I'm thinking about upgrading to windows 10 and seeing if it changes.
I dunno, maybe the video card is getting flaky power on some boots and downclocking itself.

is there a firmware update for the video card? Have you tried a different video card?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Only thing I'd check again before focusing on software/startup related stuff is whether ram, gpu and power connectors are all seated properly on the board. Longshot though. Assuming firmware and updates have all been done.

At this point I don't think I'd be focusing on the GPU being defective. When I built my current Haswell system I kept getting a lot of blue screen reboots and it was easy to first blame the GPU, then other hardware, then the Overclock, etc. Went through every troubleshooting advice that always started with checking temps and asking if I stress tested. Temps were fine and never crashed during stress testing. It also didn't crash while not OCed and at default BIOS settings. So, surely it was hardware or temps or the OC, right? Narp, turns out Asus AIsuite was the culprit, and once I uninstalled the OC/Fan portion haven't had a crash since using a pre-set OC that was crashing previously.

I would try windows 10. I personally like it even though giving up control what/when you download updates can be annoying. But it may fix any software or startup service issue. And if you don't like it, you may be to the stage where you're doing a reinstall and testing performance on a bare system anyhow and adding software one at a time and testing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I use tixati and chrome mostly but still have those.

Firefox is also a great browser so I don't know what your deal is!!

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I have an i7-3770 CPU with 32GB ram atm. It gets the job done. Is that much slower than todays comparable?

I also have an AMD Radeon 6950 which I know is dated. I also need good OpenGL support. 980Ti, Titan Z, or stick with what I have? (AMD has really shitty OpenGL support sadly so I'm sure I need something better here).

Edit: While I need OpenGL support, I'd rather have awesome gaming support over that. So a quadro card isn't a good option. I just need something better OpenGL wise than the 6950. AMD's OpenGL is abysmal.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
You wouldn't bottleneck at any point on an 3770 and 32 GB of ram with any graphics card. The only thing to do is replace the 6950. Now.

I would get a 970 on the cheap and then get a big Pascal when they come out. No sense in blowing your load on 28 nm, which we've been using for four years now, when 14/16 nm is around the corner. And 970 is about three times more powerful than a 6950.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have an i7-3770 CPU with 32GB ram atm. It gets the job done. Is that much slower than todays comparable?

I also have an AMD Radeon 6950 which I know is dated. I also need good OpenGL support. 980Ti, Titan Z, or stick with what I have? (AMD has really shitty OpenGL support sadly so I'm sure I need something better here).

Edit: While I need OpenGL support, I'd rather have awesome gaming support over that. So a quadro card isn't a good option. I just need something better OpenGL wise than the 6950. AMD's OpenGL is abysmal.
I have a very comparable machine, and i5 3570k and 32GB of ram. I currently run a 970 video card and it runs everything great at 1440p. GTA5, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc. Everything is silky smooth on full ultra settings. Can't recommend the 970 enough, especially since they can be had for $250 or less now. It'll still be a solid card for another 12-18 months.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a very comparable machine, and i5 3570k and 32GB of ram. I currently run a 970 video card and it runs everything great at 1440p. GTA5, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc. Everything is silky smooth on full ultra settings. Can't recommend the 970 enough, especially since they can be had for $250 or less now. It'll still be a solid card for another 12-18 months.
I haven't played in a few months (maybe better driver optimizations since then), but Witcher 3 would absolutely slow down on occasion on full ultra 1440p settings on my SLI 980 Ti setup.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I haven't played in a few months (maybe better driver optimizations since then), but Witcher 3 would absolutely slow down on occasion on full ultra 1440p settings on my SLI 980 Ti setup.
Yea he's full of shit. My old 980 couldn't even maintain 60fps on ultra at 1080p in Witcher 3. Unless his idea of "silky smooth" is a nice cinematic 24fps.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, I turned off the ridiculous hair effects, but other than that I never noticed any stutter anywhere during my 100 hours of playing.

FPS might have regularly dropped down into the 40s or something...but that's still smooth. I'm not someone who cares whether I'm at 60fps constantly or not. Keep me in the 30-60+ range and I'm fine, as long as there's no stutter, I'm good.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Finished up my build last night, at least to start stress testing. Still have to redo the wires and stuff.

The Fractal R5 is a nice case but I should have just gone with a Corsair 900D or something bigger/roomier than the R5 (probably should have just stuck to my Air 540). The R5 is not made to house a 280MM radiator and a bunch of shit in it. My mistake. Fantastic and quiet (holy shit is it quiet) case otherwise.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
thinking about doing a high end mini itx build. I am a casual gamer at best - occasional MMO, some league, etc. Any fatal flaws with that form factor?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had a great (drunk) idea yesterday. So I read that high end computers actually convert electricity to heat better than a space heater. So I suggest we get into the business of selling these computers subsidized at a cost where you plug them in and to the end-user they operate as a space heater. But it is also connected to their internet connection so we can feed data for processing into these "space heaters" that we sold to people effectively making an AWS that gives the benefit of home heating. Naturally we sell the space heaters at a loss (and they require an active internet connection to work) and lease out processing time on the cluster.