Desktop Computers

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Love my modmic.

So i got a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 mobo and i7-4790k for Christmas, and i already have SSD and GTX 970. I need to pick up 16GB RAM. Is speed or CAS latency the thing now? Which do i want? I was looking at some G.Skill 2400mhz DDR3 but the CAS was 11 whereas their 1600mhz can go to CAS 7. I can't make up my mind.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The reason no one probably answered you is because you probably need a headset?
Doubtful.

I got the RS 175's. They are a vast improvement over what I had.

Re: the antlion mic thing - yeah maybe. Heard some good and bad about it. Gonna do some research first.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Question for people who are smarter than I am: I have anASUS Maximus Hero VIII, and I'm reading that since I'm using the optical out from the motherboard's built in sound that switching to a dedicated sound card wouldn't make any difference in terms of sound quality... is that right or just plain wrong? I've read it in a couple places.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Word of warning for anyone buying parts & peripherals...

Tigerdirect.com is going out of business and is not accepting any returns at all anymore, all sales are final. Anything bought through them would have to be RMA'd with the manufacturer if you have any problems.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Question for people who are smarter than I am: I have anASUS Maximus Hero VIII, and I'm reading that since I'm using the optical out from the motherboard's built in sound that switching to a dedicated sound card wouldn't make any difference in terms of sound quality... is that right or just plain wrong? I've read it in a couple places.
Won't change anything with a new sound card. Unless you have a specific need for like extra audio channels or something there is 0 reason to ever get a soundcard anymore, as any decent motherboard with a digital output will sound 100% the same.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Digital output only matters if you have a digital receiver powering your speakers. Traditional headphones are still analog. USB headphones don't use your soundcard OR your motherboard's onboard, and HDMI devices connected to your video card use your video card's sound driver.

A sound card with a headphone amp is pretty useful if you have headphones that need to be driven by an amp. Otherwise, not particularly useful, though some soundcards are good for virtual surround.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The RS 175's have an optical in which is why I'd asked. Don't think it'll make a difference in my case.

The only flaw I've found for my tastes so far with these headphones is they seem to have a very very sculpted sound, specifically an overload of bass and they're lacking mids to an extent.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Alright guys, down the line I'm going to build my own gaming PC but for now I'm going to attempt to update my current one. Here are my current system specs to the best of my knowledge, any suggestions for upgrades would be appreciated. This PC is about 3+ years old, and was one of those Ibuy power pre-built crappers, so I have one of their cases, which I will most likely update.

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler:Intel BXTS15A CPU Cooler($30.88 @ B&H)
Motherboard:Asus P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory:Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory($32.99 @ Adorama)
Storage:Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card
Power Supply:CoolMax 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total:$390.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-29 11:32 EST-0500

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Upgrade the video card. You might need a bigger case to get a decent video card in there.

I'd also upgrade to an SSD as your boot drive.

With a new video card(something like an Nvidia 970, or AMD 290/380) and an SSD, it'll feel like a brand new machine. It'll run anything you throw at it well, all new games on high/ultra settings @ 1080p

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Any suggestions on good roomy case? I liked the NZXT cases based on some videos I watched, but they seem pricey compared to others.

Also when I run my system config my motherboard shows as "AsRock P67 Pro3 Se" , I couldn't find that particular one while building my current system, so I may have listed the incorrect motherboard.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Fractal Define SorFractal Define R5are good places to start. I have two of the R5's, very quiet case and I'm quite happy with it.

If you want a roomy case with great airflow AND you don't have a ton of HDD's then I could also recommend theCorsair Air 540which I'm still quite fond of (also have two of those) - it is by far the easiest case I've ever used in a setup and as the name suggests can have great airflow. Some people design like the look of it but unless a design is really outlandish I've never given a shit about looks for a case.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
AsRock isn't the same as Asus anymore. Is it a full size ATX board? You linked an mATX board.

Get an SSD and a video card like others said. I'd also suggest getting a cooler master hyper 212 and overclocking your processor to like 4ghz mega easy.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
1. Just look at a Fractal or a Corsair case that tickles your fancy,
2. Grab a 290 with an aftermarket cooler/380 or a 970,
3. Get the biggest SSD you can afford (preferably a Samsung unit),
4. Get an aftermarket cooler for your cpu (the hyper 212 is pretty good and really inexpensive) and overclock it mildly to 4-4.2ghz,
5. Maybe grab another 8gb memory stick to get you to 16gb and you'll be all set.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Barracuda is a spinning hard drive for sure, not an SSD.

You don't need to replace your motherboard unless something is wrong with it.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
1. Just look at a Fractal or a Corsair case that tickles your fancy,
2. Grab a 290 with an aftermarket cooler/380 or a 970,
3. Get the biggest SSD you can afford (preferably a Samsung unit),
4. Get an aftermarket cooler for your cpu (the hyper 212 is pretty good and really inexpensive) and overclock it mildly to 4-4.2ghz,
5. Maybe grab another 8gb memory stick to get you to 16gb and you'll be all set.
Thanks for your help, and upon further inspection I do have a Hd not SSD, you're correct!

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Everyone else is right, upgrade the GPU and use an SSD as your primary drive if you're just upgrading stuff now. Those will by far give you your best bang for your buck.

Down the road though, CPU's are finally at the point where upgrading from Sandy Bridge to Skylake will give youreal, legitimate gains in FPS while gaming. Food for thought.
More data:

hmBhyts.jpg

Source:Intel Skylake: Core i5 6600K review Eurogamer.net

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Any suggestions on good roomy case? I liked the NZXT cases based on some videos I watched, but they seem pricey compared to others.

Also when I run my system config my motherboard shows as "AsRock P67 Pro3 Se" , I couldn't find that particular one while building my current system, so I may have listed the incorrect motherboard.
Define S all the way.