Desktop Computers

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have actually never seen a processor (or any hardware for that matter) as backlogged and unavailable as Skylake. They have to be absolutely trickling out at a glacial pace. Intel announced "immediate" availability on launch back on August 5th and we are going into January and they are still widely unavailable. I was originally going to build a whole new system based on Skylake, but at this point I am probably just going to wait for the refresh (Kaby Lake) in 2016.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Aren't new GPUs that are a good leap forward due out in 2016? Hopefully Skylake will be easier to get a hold of when the new GPUs hit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Supposedly. New Nvidia chip is supposed to be a beast, but with so much new tech stuff into it who knows if it really ends up being one.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Pretty much everything related to gaming, CPUs, and GPUs is completely up in the air right now until DirectX 12 hits and we know how everything is going to perform with it. Speculation is all over the place as far as how much more your CPU will matter with DX12(or multiple cores), how the Nvidia/AMD power struggle will change with DX12 and which architecture system works better with it, etc.

Everything we know about current hardware and how it typically benchmarks with games could be completely different a year or two from now when game engines are built on DX12.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Supposedly. New Nvidia chip is supposed to be a beast, but with so much new tech stuff into it who knows if it really ends up being one.
Agree with Big P. It may take a few iterations of the next chipset to get everything optimized, just as it took until Maxwell Gen 2 to get the 'final form' of the 28nm process. Comparing performance per watt of Kepler vs Maxwell is almost a joke, considering they were both fundamentally based on the same 28nm process.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
IMO I would of gone with the 2k IPS. Yeah theres the premium tax on it, but for something youre going to use every single second your computer is on and will easily last 5 years or more(been using the same monitor for going on 7 years) its well worth it.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought about it but I really didn't want to spend another 250-300 or so dollars. I got it for 480.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Herro. My friend is wanting me to build him a computer and I'm not up to date with what's out right now. His budget is less than $2000 with focus on games and work. He said he wants fast and large SSDs. Lol. Any suggestions?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Herro. My friend is wanting me to build him a computer and I'm not up to date with what's out right now. His budget is less than $2000 with focus on games and work. He said he wants fast and large SSDs. Lol. Any suggestions?
What type of work does he do?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
IT shit for Kaiser Permanente. I have no idea what that entails (if he's an engineer, coder, etc whatever lol)
As long as he's not doing anything cpu intensive, he should be ok with i5 6600 cpu and a z170 motherboard. 8-16gb of ddr 4 ram. An ssd of his choice in size (I got a Samsung 850 512gb one for $170), and whatever type of cooling you want.

If he needs the country grunt, either go for the i7 or the x99 platform. It's more expensive but is definitely better for cpu intensive stuff.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I stole a reddit build which had emphasis on being upgradeable for the foreseeable future
Intel Core i5-6500, XFX Radeon R9 380, Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

I think BIG P was talking some sense into me after seeing that that video card on the hp envy was $650. I still think that hp envy on slickdeals was a hell of a deal even though i dont want the big box case and bullshit installed and don't need that much pc.

Mist:
Will i be able to use my old win7 cd and update to windows 10 if i buy this shit?
If i do not buy a graphic card now will my pc still work? Perhaps i could use my vintage gtx550ti?
Do you think it's worth it to someone as fashionable and in demand as me to build my own or should i just wait on a good hp coupon?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
ugh.. still can't decide on a new monitor. Not really wanting to spend $500 plus on something but everything i like is that or above. one i'm considering..

Amazon.com: Acer XB270H Abprz 27-inch Display Full HD NVIDIA G-SYNC (1920 x 1080) Widescreen Monitor: Computers Accessories

edit.. just realized that one is a TN panel.
So it came and I can't get it to work. Keeps saying no signal:-( ACER support blows. Went out and bought a new DP cable hoping that was it but no go.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Dumb question, but...you aren't plugging the monitor into on-board video rather than the actual video card are you? And you've tried both ports on the video card?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A step further than that is to disable onboard video in BIOS to make sure the video card is being set as Primary display.