Desktop Computers

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
I have to say eVGA has a great warranty/RMA process. The fans on my 780 GTX died so it would overheat in a few minutes and die when playing graphics intensive games. I went through basic trouble shooting steps myself. Submitted a RMA request and within 1 hour I was approved for a replacement with a 980 GTX FTW without any back and forth about the issue. So a nice free upgrade and no hassle in the process.
Yeah, they're pretty awesome. Unfortunately for them, I've had a few pieces of doa hardware from them, so I don't like buying evga anymore. Couple of motherboards (2 for the same one..that sucked so bad having to wait, 3rd one worked thankfully) and a doa vid card. The replacement vidcard they sent me wouldnt work in the pcie16 slot..later would be a known defect for this run of cards..wasnt going to wait for another card, so I got it rma'd a year later. They made me jump through a few of their troubleshooting steps, but they did eventually send me a working card. SO yeah, they have great support, but it would be better, at least in my experience, if they sent working hardware in the first place.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, they're pretty awesome. Unfortunately for them, I've had a few pieces of doa hardware from them, so I don't like buying evga anymore. Couple of motherboards (2 for the same one..that sucked so bad having to wait, 3rd one worked thankfully) and a doa vid card. The replacement vidcard they sent me wouldnt work in the pcie16 slot..later would be a known defect for this run of cards..wasnt going to wait for another card, so I got it rma'd a year later. They made me jump through a few of their troubleshooting steps, but they did eventually send me a working card. SO yeah, they have great support, but it would be better, at least in my experience, if they sent working hardware in the first place.
Admittedly, that does seem like a shitty run of bad luck. Truth is, I have had DOA stuff from tons of manufacturers. It happens. I would still rather have the EVGA support.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have a $100 dell gift cert I want to use on a gfx card. the 960 for $200 seems like the best deal they have but i'm pretty sure it won't fit in my inspiron 3847 case. bummer bummer. I need a power supply upgrade too but they're priced totally retarded at dell. tempted to just buy another monitor with it.

spronk

FPS noob
i'd get a new PSU instead of using a 7 year old PSU, plus don't you want a 1-2TB sata drive in addition to the SSD to store movies, etc? There is a way to get an i5-6600k for $200 too apparently, but its off jet.com
http://slickdeals.net/f/8476491-inte...-potential-tax

otherwise looks good, I have that exact video card bought last month and happy with it, and the same exact samsung SSD and it runs great. old PC has the g-skill ripjaws memory and its great.

i personally bought a used HP Z420 workstation off ebay for $400, the Xeon E5-1620 in it is 85-90% as fast as an i5-6600k for most things, but the 6600k is over clockable.

Oh, the evga cards right now give Tomb Raider as its free game, if you wait 1-2 weeks it miiiight change to The Division. Not sure which one you'd prefer.

Ryoz

<Donor>
The corsair cx600 I just got a few years ago because I upgraded the vid card so it's still good. I also have a mechanical hd currently that I'll move to the new build.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Completed my build;
Went from
i7 920 2.6ghz
18GB DDR3 1600
nvidia gtx 660

to

i7 6700k 4.0ghz
16gb ddr4 3200
nvidia gtx 970

Re-used the same ssd (clean win10 install). I wanted to switch over to the samsung 950 pro m.2 drive, but too pricey right now. if i still had a mechanical drive, i mightve been convinced it was worth it, but the ssd is fine. Once prices drops I'll probably grab one. Ended up going with an Asrock mobo (z170 oc formula). Has plenty of features and i liked the layout, but I can't figure out how to disable power to USB ports when the PC is shut off. Did a bit of looking on the interwebs and in the bios and nothing was super obvious to me and anything i figured it would be was already disabled. It wouldn't be a big deal, but my mouse wont work until i unplug it and plug it back in at windows. Really the only gripe for this build (emailed support though). Everything else went smooth. Very happy with it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I recall seeing a setting in my Gigabyte mobo's BIOS that enables or disables power to USB ports when the computer is powered down. Look again, it's in there somewhere.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's often not disabling anything but rather enabling whatever the mobo manufacturer is calling energy saving mode/green mode for the USB ports. Had the same issue.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could anyone price out some parts, I'd like to upgrade my systems in the next couple months, to something like:

Intel 4ghz cpu
Gigabyte or Asus motherboard
16g ram
gtx970
250ssd
air cooled
case (optional)

Have everything else.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ (not trying to be a dick but) PCPartPicker.com is a good place to start for something like that.

I can help out in the next couple days.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was going to reply something similar. But in all honesty, unless you are trying to shave every penny off, Amazon seems to have just as competitive prices as everywhere else these days. You'd probably even come out ahead using them as a 1 stop shop with free Prime shipping. PCPartPicker will direct you to the cheapest on the web, but you might be ordering from multiple retailers and paying shipping at each and every one of them.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I understand. Went to PCPP and was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of choice. =)

Maybe some advice on which of the current 4ghz cpu's is worth getting, paired with which motherboard+memory. I don't plan to overclock, so I imagine some low CAS 1600 memory would be fine?

Ryoz

<Donor>
This is a crazy good deal if they honor backorders(sold out of stock currently)

Intel i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor + Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P Motherboard $270 + Free Shipping

Showed up on slickdeals earlier today and sold out pretty quick, but the link to purchase isn't completely gone. Makes me think there's at least a chance of them stocking more and fulfilling back orders.
Back in stock! I think I'm gonna go for it - I was going to start purchasing my parts and that is the exact CPU I wanted.