Desktop Computers

Fadaar

That guy
Yes, the viewing angle and picture quality is waaaaaaaaaay better. I got a 144 Hz GSync TN for my primary (read: gaming) monitor and a 27" 2560x1440 IPS as my second monitor for video and browsing, it looks so much better.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I love my IPS panels. They are not brand new so the blacks aren't great like some of the newer gens. Also, I don't know how you do it with two unmatched monitors. I had a matching pair of LG and one died so I replaced with the next version of the same thing and it drives me nuts. Slightly different bezel, slightly different stand, slightly lower sitting, slightly different color display. Makes me want to punch... well both of the monitors so I can replace them.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Wait, so people went and hooked up stock coolers that aren't shipping with the K series chips to compare how the stock coolers that aren't included would compare to after market coolers you have to purchase anyhow since a stock cooler isn't included?
No. The stock vs. after-market cooling temperatures were from either Ivy Bridge or Haswell and an example of why it is a no brainer to pickup a $20-30 part.

And thermal paste has shit-all to do with the cooler; either way it should be replaced in my experience.
We're talking about two totally different things. The shitty TIM paste (ie the paste actually in the CPU) was definitely the reason the chips are running hot.

The poor connection, not the paste, is why people delid. The shitty thermal paste is why people replace the thermal paste.
Ok, ok. It is/wasboth. But hey, semantics.

Back with Haswell (as well as Ivy Bridge to a degree), it was discovered that the thermal interface material between the silicon die and the heatspreader was both an insufficient amount and lower quality than previous generations, as well as the heatspreader being far away from the CPU due to the black adhesive, causing more air bubbles and poorer heat transfer than is optimal.
In plenty of situations the stock coolers can be reused. My Haswell stock cooler has the copper base that doesn't come with the newish I-3's but is perfect for those.

I mostly agree, but making an aftermarket cooler sound like a critical upgrade for most users is a tiny bit of hyperbole. If people are going to get an aftermarket cooler they should do it for more reasons that omg stock cooler sux which isn't exactly the case in all situations. Best reason to get one is if you're buying to K series you'll have to!
Critical? No. Highly recommended? Yes. I don't even see how it is an argument. It is a good idea to purchase the after-market cooler in MOST situations - not all. Sure. But most.

But hey if you want to save $20-30 and have a hotter running CPU with a loud fan on it, by all means go nuts. Just about the only situation I'd not recommend someone at least get the Hyper 212 EVO/similar would be if it doesn't fit in their case.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, do you have a video card in your current PC that can get you through for a couple months? The new Pascal cards are supposed to be formally announced in April with most of them being available to puchase by June. We're really, really close to them.

At the very least, it should make current-gen cards drop in price(both Nvidia and AMD) Would suck to buy a $400 390x and then have it drop to $250-$300 or something in the matter of a couple weeks.

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Getting this built in a 2 weeks.
Cooler master haf x full case 203
Msi x99a raider mobo 275
Cooler master v850w gold psu 196
Intel core is I7-5820k 3.3ghz 15mb cache 564
Cooler master hyper d92 49
G skill rip jaw ddr 4 3000 16gb 126
Msi geforce gtx 950 2gb tiger OC 228
Samsung 850 Evo ssd 250gb 129
Win 10 64 bit 127
DVD drive 19
Asus 27 inch 2ms lcd monitor 228

Gonna upgrade video cards(2 980 ti), ram(16gb ram), storage drive and monitor(add 35 inch acer predator) in the next few months.
Price on right. Changed mobo and processor

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, do you have a video card in your current PC that can get you through for a couple months? The new Pascal cards are supposed to be formally announced in April with most of them being available to puchase by June. We're really, really close to them.

At the very least, it should make current-gen cards drop in price(both Nvidia and AMD) Would suck to buy a $400 390x and then have it drop to $250-$300 or something in the matter of a couple weeks.
I was just going to throw in my GTX570 till the new ones come out. From what I've been reading the performance is supposed to double on the new cards supposedly.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What kind of price range are we expecting? I was waiting, so I could pick up a 980 Ti for cheap after the Pascal come out, but if they'll be double the performance? Shit, I'll wait for Pascal.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
How does this build look:Intel Core i7-6700K, Asus Radeon R9 390X, Corsair 750D Airflow Edition - System Build - PCPartPicker

Trying to get all the parts through Amazon just for the ease of returning shit. I think should really hold off on the graphics card till the Pascal stuff comes out. Everything else isn't going to change in a couple months except that part.
Amazon is crazy good w/ returns and shit. I ordered some hdtv antenna, worked like shit, print out return receipt, drop into ups box, refund in a week.

i bought 6 LED lightbulbs (trying to save the environment!) one didn't work, i called them up, had a human on the phone in under a min, he said, well we can ship out you 6 more, and you return the original 6, doesn't sound feasible, give me a min.

puts me on hold for a bit, he said he'll just refund the difference of that one lightbulb. Pretty sure i've spent a few thousand, just cuz i have prime.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Amazon is crazy good w/ returns and shit. I ordered some hdtv antenna, worked like shit, print out return receipt, drop into ups box, refund in a week.

i bought 6 LED lightbulbs (trying to save the environment!) one didn't work, i called them up, had a human on the phone in under a min, he said, well we can ship out you 6 more, and you return the original 6, doesn't sound feasible, give me a min.

puts me on hold for a bit, he said he'll just refund the difference of that one lightbulb. Pretty sure i've spent a few thousand, just cuz i have prime.
I had a Dell P2715Q monitor arrive DOA from Amazon. Had a similar awesome experience. They sent me a new one (which showed up the next day) gave me a label for the old one, dropped it off at UPS and I got an email notification while I was in the UPS store saying that the return was cleared and a refund was granted. 10/10 would receive broken product from them again.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Any time I return something to Amazon i get a notice that my refund has been processed and credited back to my card within an hour of dropping off the box at my local UPS store. Awesome indeed. There's a reason they are putting big box stores or of business and is not just purely pricing.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Any time I return something to Amazon i get a notice that my refund has been processed and credited back to my card within an hour of dropping off the box at my local UPS store. Awesome indeed. There's a reason they are putting big box stores or of business and is not just purely pricing.
I work for UPS and they're our biggest customer by a mile. We give them like a 95% shipping discount and each of their accounts still pull in almost a million per week.

When I've had to deal with customers about their Amazon packages in the past, I've had to nicely convince them that Amazon will get what they need done for them far quicker than we will.

Thank god I'm no longer customer facing.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Tarisk I can whine to you about why UPS(and other companies) no long even ring the doorbell or knock, at minimum , to let you know package has arrived. They just dump it on the door and drive off now.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Doesn't Amazon use OnTrac for their shipping services? Like, the shipping services that throws packages down stairs all the god fucking damn time?